“Brilliant and professional staff, great venue”

TUI SENSIMAR Palazzo del Mare
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Marmari
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We stayed first two weeks of July, two swim up rooms. We asked the hotel direct before arrival, with no guarantee given, for our two rooms, as family travelling together to be together. On arrival staff were apologetic and despite there being no guarantees upgraded for one night one of rooms to a suite with a private pool. Following day we had two rooms together. The staff and management throughout the stay were wonderful. Food is good. Hotel is near to the sea with its own beach area. Nearest town, Marmari is a dump, but short taxi for €20 into Kos town or very cheap bus running every hour at back of hotel by sea. Quite a few swim ups are in the sun, ours were for a few hours in the morning and to lunchtime, after that in the shade. Thoroughly recommend and well deserving of the five star TUI rating. Thompson rep on site has lived there for over 20 years and she is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms a must
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Phillip D
There are newer reviews for TUI SENSIMAR Palazzo del Mare

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I spent a delightful week in a pool access room which was clean and spacious. This was our second visit after two years and whilst I was apprehensive whether the hotel would live up to expectations it certainly did.
Food was exceptional as we had previously experienced and the a la carte was also romantic and good quality with a choice of food. Whilst half board the pool bar was fine in terms of food quality but a tad expensive however given the exchange rate and this being a five star hotel this was not unexpected. Better value was to be had in marmari town a 10 minute walk and we would recommend Stavros restaurant for traditional Greek food and hospitality. Previously we had used the on site creperie which is great value but disappointingly they could not cater for my wife's gluten free requirements however the main restaurant did clearly show allergy information except strangely for the desserts. The cocktails in the main bar were of superb quality. All staff were welcoming and friendly throughout the hotel. After being disappointed with the entertainment during our last visit there had certainly been an improvement although I would state that the entertainment still falls short of usual five star expectations although it is deliberately a low key relaxing hotel with the exception of the gala night where the dancing troupe put on a beautiful performance. For information we took the bus into kos town although due to the earthquake a number of attractions were inaccessible (would highly recommend 'select' restaurant under the purple flowered archway). We look forward to going back to the hotel in the future.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SimonandNikki
Reviewed 3 August 2017

This hotel definitely has the potential to achieve a full five ratings and probably is a 5-star property but too many little things let it down for me. I would happily award it a 4.5 if possible!

Grounds - The hotel itself is beautiful with amazing surrounding scenery and immaculate gardens. The pool area was the best that I have seen yet! Nearly half of the rooms have direct access to a pool but the amount of sun that they receive is an issue for some. There were some issues with cleanliness at times. The quieter swimming pools at the side which we used were not always cleaned and there were two large piles of cat excrement which I had to ask to be removed. Also, I went to use the toilet in the spa one day and accidentally trod on some excrement next to the bin. Disgusting! I told the spa towel attendant about this who seemed horrified but didn't even say sorry. I had to throw my flip flops away!

Food - We found the breakfast and buffet dinner in the main restaurant to be of a good standard. There is plenty of choice and there are different themes at dinner. The best was definitely Gala Night when they even parade round with a pavlova which was quite funny! The staff here really make this restaurant. We always sat inside and all staff were so friendly and attentive. Mario (particularly good), Konstantos (I think!), the blond waitress from Albania and the Greek West Ham fan deserve special recognition from the management! We are regular travellers and restaurant goers and this team were the best we have experienced. There was also a lovely chef in the evening called Nicolas who worked on the grill at the back. He was always helpful with my food preferences and often waved!
At lunchtime the only real choice was off one menu from the a la carte restaurant where you could also in the pool bar next door. The food was always good here but there was limited choice.
You can eat once in the a la carte restaurant for dinner per stay and this was only okay. My prawns saganaki starter was nice, my mille feuille dessert was amazing but my grilled tuna main course was dry and overcooked. The service here was also not as good as in the buffet restaurant, which is odd. The main waiter we had brought the wrong wine and then accused me of having changed my mind in an abrupt manner and didn't apologise. There was only one nice waitress left after about 9.45pm who was quite busy and it took us a while to get our bill.
The omelette lady at breakfast was quite amusing and we were given champagne once during a 10 night stay, more often would have been better as in many 5-star hotels abroad!

Drinks - The prices of drinks were very reasonable for a 5-star hotel with plenty of choice. In fact, a glass of wine at 4 Euros is much cheaper than at home! There was also a cocktail of the day at both bars which we discovered was actually a cocktail at a cheaper price of 6.50 Euros which is a real bargain! The staff at all of the bars were very good and friendly and I found the bar manager to be hilarious!

Rooms - This is where we had some issues. We booked a superior pool access room but were not placed at the main pool but at a quiet pool at the side. The sun completely disappeared from our private balcony at about 11 in the morning so you had to swim to the other side. The rooms at the end could walk across but we had to swim across which meant you were drenched when going into your room afterwards. The pools here were very quiet, which suited us, and there were always so many empty sunbeds. Maybe we should have asked to get a room which had more sun instead though. After our first night our room did not even get cleaned. I even rang up reception at about 4.30pm to tell them and was told that they would do it later. We went for a drink at a nearby restaurant and at 7pm still found our room to be dirty. I rang again and they told me that I must have had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door without an apology! We had to wait to get some clean towels as our old wet ones were in the bath. The next day the maid tried to take 7 Euros from our room, which was on the side as a tip which I thought was a bit cheeky after not cleaning it the day before! The following day we had no towels so this was not a good start. Also, every morning we were woken up by the maids shouting and banging. Sometimes this was as early as 7am which is 5am English time! It was not always necessary noise either, sometimes screaming at each other and banging. They should be more considerate of people trying to sleep as many of us like a lie-in on holiday. Maybe the position of our room (near the gym/spa) made it noisier.
The Wi-Fi in the room was really fast and reliable though. The room itself was okay but not really of a standard and décor expected for a 5 star hotel.
We could only get a late check-out until 3pm so had to use the courtesy room (as they call it) in the spa which wasn't great. It was pretty hot it there and absolutely full of mosquitos. They are everywhere in Marmari and I got bitten lots despite using spray. You can also get a locker here but you are not told in advance that you need a 10 Euros deposit. I had my hands full of heavy bags and had to go all the way back to the pool in the heat to get it. The spa towel lady just ignored me when I asked her if £10 would be okay as I only had that on me, how rude! She was usually very friendly and polite too!

Entertainment - This was hit and miss. We were lucky enough to see the dancers twice for the Gala Show on Tuesday and this was amazing! The standard of dancing rivalled some West End shows that I have seen. The Greek Night on Friday was also good. However, most nights were a duo called Soul Circle who were not great. They actually sent me to sleep at times and all the songs sounded the same. They were actually quite talented but it did not really work. I did many aqua classes at 11.30am most mornings run by Andi who was really good! I even did Zumba outside in the afternoon which was fun. We even attended the wine tasting and cocktail courses and found these to be interesting and a good break from sunbathing!

So this hotel could easily have an excellent rating from me and is very close! We booked with Sovereign (not Thomson directly) and I didn't know that it was a TUI Sensimar hotel at the time. This is not really our thing and found some parts tacky, but others good. It did seem strange that there was a TUI sign in the toilets telling you not to take the face towels away, for example. This hotel has so many good points and it annoyed me that it could have been almost perfect if little things had changed.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DerbyBetty
Reviewed 1 August 2017

A fantastic hotel with an amazing pool and wonderful grounds that are kept impeccable. We had a swim up room which was well worth the cost, with a large patio area with two comfortable sun beds and an umbrella and chair and tables. Our room was on the roof got hand side as you look down to the sea which had the sun from about 10 onwards. The rooms on the other side did not seem to have the sun in the afternoon. If you do not have a swim up room there are always plenty of sun beds around the pool. The hotel looks wonderful. The food was fantastic. We payed for full board and that included a beer plus to soft drinks at lunch and dinner. The lunch at the pool bar was excellent particularly the pizza. The staff need a particular mention, they are superb. Our room was cleaned every day which you would expect and the staff in the restaurant were always on hand to clear the tables and fill your glass. You were always greater wth a smile. Access to the lovely beach was across a quite road. The only thing I would say is that though it is said that entertainment is low key some more variety would perhaps keep more people in the hotel in the evening. The area around the hotel is quiet and surprisingly rural but great for walking. The salt lake is worth a walk too and there were even some flamingoes still there. This is a wonderful hotel which I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Swim up room is worth it
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnhopkindavies
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We've been to 3 Blue Lagoon hotels previously and really enjoyed the family holidays, this was our 1st adult only experience and wow what a perfect chill out!! We stayed in an executive suite with private pool which was a huge treat and so amazing. The whole place is immaculate and so peaceful, the main pools are stunning and never busy. We spent most mornings on the beach as there was a welcome breeze, it was sandy with clear water and always free sun beds. We were on full board plus which included really nice lunches with wine, beer, water and soft drinks at the pool bar....freshly prepared good quality food......amazing staff who we enjoyed having a laugh with! Breakfast and dinner was buffet with a varied selection of good quality dishes, the restaurant staff were friendly and efficient....couldn't fault the service. We tried the evening entertainment a couple of times but decided it wasn't really our thing and we preferred the pool bar after dinner, chatting and trying different cocktails...all made to perfection, brilliant end to the day!! Need to mention the gardens here....absolutely fabulous, amazing how the gardeners can achieve such high standards working in such heat! We loved the hotel so much we didn't venture out as much as we probably should but we did enjoy the 3 island boat trip, stunning scenery and lots of laughs with the very witty crew and so lucky to see dolphins. We love family holidays but the adult only experience here was truly amazing and we would love to return....perfect chill out and huge thanks to the staff who made it so memorable. Shame about Kos airport!!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank marj3311
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmari
13.1 km away
1.7 km away
Caravia Beach Hotel
Caravia Beach Hotel
#2 of 15 in Marmari

Been to TUI SENSIMAR Palazzo del Mare? Share your experiences!