All reviews live music food is excellent palm trees body surf very special place ribs natural beach located right san jose lori rick locals solymar blast golfito nature fun
Reviewed 9 April 2017

After staying here numerous times, it never gets old. Karlas and Willy provide exceptional service and hospitality. It is fairly easy to get to from golfito with a short water taxi ride and once you get here, you will never want to leave. A constant breeze from the water makes up for the humidity and the food is outstanding. Best ribs I have had in a long time. The locals come out for great conversation and those that work there truly care about the customers. I will absolutely be back!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2017

Excellent staff, perfect location right on the beach, live local music and often excellent visiting live bands in January/Febuary. Located right on a safe swimming beach full of bioluminescent phytoplankton that light up like fireflies in the water when you swim at night (Especially on nights with no moon). With permission from the very kind owners and some responsible fire knowledge you can also enjoy a wonderful bonfire on the beach. The food is excellent too, and they often have a huge portion of fresh off the boat tuna sashimi. I think about that meal and this place often! Thank you Rick, Lori, Karla and Willy!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank John S
Reviewed 28 August 2016

Just returned from 3 nights at Sol Y Mar at Playa Zancudo, my first trip there. The accommodations are spacious wood cabins with a private baths, comfortable beds and a front porch that faces the beach across a lovely garden with tropical plants and coconut palms. The beach is 6 miles long, you can walk nearly forever, seashells, driftwood, and the water was warm with small/medium waves. The Golfito Dulce (Sweet Gulf) is shallow quite a ways out so you can body surf and wade easily and safely. We were blessed with seeing dolphins and this time of year...a lovely surprise, a group of breaching humpback whales. We ate at the restaurant and enjoyed the food, the quality was excellent and portions were quite substantial. Along with national beer Imperial, served ice cold. Couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more if all you want is the peace & quiet. The restaurant does have a bar with music and TV for sporting events but no TV's in the room, yay!

Room Tip: WiFi can be intermittent in the cabins but fairly reliable at the bar/restaurant. All the cabins are the same and have water/beach views.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2016

My wife and I first visited Sol y Mar 15 years ago, then again 10 years ago. This year (2016) we returned for our third visit. The amazing thing was that it felt like no time at all had passed since our previous visits. The only difference was the welcome addition of free wi-fi. But everything else was as wonderful as we remembered it—the hospitality of owners Rick and Lori, the great staff, the amazing food (Shirley's tacos are not to be missed), the fun crowds at the bar, and the most spectacular sunsets on earth.

Now Sol y Mar is not for everyone. If you're looking for pampered, all-inclusive style luxury resort accommodations, please go elsewhere. Don't even think about coming here. If you freak out because you don't get a pillow menu, a huge TV, and a stocked mini-bar, stay far away. But if you want to stay in Costa Rica without spending a fortune, at a place where you can hang out with locals and friendly people from all over the world, watch a gorgeous sunset from the palapa hut bar while drinking a cold Imperial, and have a spectacular black sand beach *all to yourself* (no joke—see the photo below), then please add this to your agenda. We have traveled all over Central America, and stayed at some amazing places, but our Sol y Mar and Zancudo always draw us back.

And oh, man, the food. You'll quickly discover why people from all over Zancudo eat at Sol y Mar. It is fresh, delicious, and inventive, with plenty of seafood and vegetarian options.

The cabins are nice and clean but simple—definitely not for those who require luxurious digs, but you get a charming place to sleep for far a lot less than many similar cabins around the country. Plus, there's little reason to stay inside except to sleep when you can kick back in a hammock on the well-kept grounds or stroll the deserted beach pretending you're all alone on a desert island.

Yeah, I gush about this place. And part of me was hesitant to write the review because I want to make sure it never gets so popular that I can't book a visit. But if you like pure fun and relaxation in amazing scenery, with incredible fresh, local food, fun nightlife, and a black sand beach all your own, visit Sol y Mar and I guarantee you'll become a regular just like me. There's no place like it.

Room Tip: All of the cabins are great, but cabin 4 is probably the quietest.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaelmhughes
Reviewed 28 June 2015

I think this may be my favorite place I have been in Costa Rica so far! It takes a while to drive here, the road is a little rough, but that is part of what makes it so special! You truly feel like you are at the end of the world. There is a gorgeous long black sand beach to stroll on all day long if you wished. Play in the ocean waves, eat the great food at the restaurant, chill out in the hamock and read one of the many books on lend. Have a relaxing beer or cocktail at the bar and just Relax! Karla was a great help with anything we needed and so friendly. We were hear in the begining of the rainy season and it liked to rain around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. This made it all the more relaxing. You have a beautiful morning and early afternoon and then its time to chill. I would have loved to stay longer as it looked like there wax many adventures you could embark on from the area. I Will go back someday :)

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple