“Possibly the best food in Shropshire!”
Review of Clays of Broseley

Clays of Broseley
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Broseley
Price range: US$19 - US$52
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to Clays of Broseley Our vision is to provide a relaxed meeting place where people can enjoy great food and refreshment throughout the day. We are a family owned and run business. One thing we can guarantee is that we make all our food with love and care…..we have many years years of working knowledge and aim for customers to feel leaving satisfied both in terms of the quality, value for money and providing informal friendly service. Open late morning for our great freshly roasted coffee,teas and other beverages. Feeling peckish at elevenses… ? Hopefully we can tempt you to our ever changing small selection of cakes and pastries which from time to time will include Chelsea buns elderflower polenta cake,, Dundee cake,chocolate stout cake, ginger-apricot biscuits, white-chocolate raspberry muffins, shortbread, fruit almond frangipane tart A daily lunch menu is also available from 12 noon. We love to seek the best of what local producers have to offer; focusing on seasonality wherever possible, basing our ideas on British cookery, the Mediterranean and a little bit of anything else that inspires us.We have a ‘light’ lunch board as well as a set two or three course menu. On Sundays we open for lunch from 12-30pm with last orders taken around 2-45pm. In the evening we are open Wednesday to Saturday evenings from 6-30pm for our ‘regular’ evening menu .Booking advisable. See sample menus for further details. Occasionally we will offer special events like ‘themed’ evenings on selected dates, where booking is essential. We are licensed – offering a selection of local bottled beers ,cider and craft lagers; as well as serving a list of almost sixty affordable and interesting wines. Children most welcome. We don’t have a children’s menu as such but will conjure up some equally tasty food and offer smaller portions from the daily menu. We have a selection of books to suit all ages….. We’re here to please – so we’ll try our best if you require any special dietary requirements – just let us know! We look forward to seeing you . David and Trudy Clay
Reviewed 18 April 2017

Every time I have visited Clays I think "I really should write a review" but then never get around to it. This time I am determined to do so as it really is worthy of praise.

My Mother moved to Broseley around 18 months ago and Clays happily became her local restaurant. She had visited previously, having lived in the wider area for over 40 years and was very complimentary. As she is notoriously difficult to please this is praise indeed! Clays is now our go-to for celebratory meals and Sunday lunches and I try to make a booking whenever I am visiting the area.

It is a small, welcoming restaurant offering unpretentious, friendly service, a good selection of wine and truly exceptional food. It is certainly the best food I have eaten in Shropshire and is consistently excellent. Led by husband and wife team David and Trudy you can be sure of a warm welcome and the pleasant and attentive waiting staff make for a relaxed dining experience. There are around 6 tables upstairs next to the kitchen, further tables outside on the terrace for al-fresco dining in the summer months and a large basement area for bigger parties.

Meals always start with Trudy's fresh homemade bread (which is wonderful) and olives or an inventive amuse-bouche. Carafes of water are provided on the tables and there is a good selection of non-alcoholic drinks as well as an interesting wine list offering a range to suit all budgets. The menu changes regularly so there is always something new to try and the flavour combinations are wonderful. There is always a good selection of meat, poultry, fish and vegetable dishes using local produce and unusual ingredients. The desserts are always fantastic too and their sticky toffee pudding has quite a cult following (so much so that they now offer it to take away). They regularly have homemade ice cream or sorbets accompanying poached pears, homemade sponges and tarts. On Sunday we had Trudy's lemon meringue pie which was the best I have ever tasted (other than my Grandmother's and she was a master baker).

Clays truly is a gem in Broseley's crown and reason alone to visit the unassuming Shropshire town which has plenty to entertain any visitor for a day or weekend. We are very lucky to have such an excellent restaurant in the village and we will continue to visit regularly.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

We were going to the Midlands to visit friends and family for the first time since Christmas and as part of the visit I decided that we'd take my mom out for a nice Sunday lunch.
She lives in Telford and I'm not familiar with the area so I relied on TripAdvisor for ideas. By which I mean I searched restaurants in the Telford area and sorted by rating; Clays of Broseley was top of the list and that was what I booked.
It's about a 20 minute drive from my mom's place through some beautiful Shropshire countryside.
We arrived in Broseley a little early and found a parking spot just outside the restaurant. We were invited to take a seat on the terrace whilst they were opening and had some drinks. I had a fantastic homemade lemonade made with sparkling water, my mom had a rhubarb juice that was so tasty we took 4 bottles home with us and my wife had a very nice pot of tea.
We had booked a table which had been laid out inside the restaurant for us but we were offered the table on the terrace for lunch which we gladly accepted as the weather was perfect. We all ordered from the lunch menu which at £19.95 for two courses and £23.95 for three courses was a fantastic bargain. I ordered Salmon and Hake fishcakes with tenderstem brocolli, asparagas and a white wine sauce and my wife and mom both ordered the Beef sirloin roast dinner. I was so impressed with the food. Honestly, this restaurant lives up to all the reviews. The ingredients were fresh and tasty and not plated pretentiously like you get some places.
For dessert, my mom and I both had the "Rhubarb and Custard" and playful dish which combined rhubarb compote, jelly, vanilla cream and little meringues. Stunning. The perfect end to any Spring afternoon lunch.
Throughout the meal, the staff (I'm sorry to say I didn't get their names) were attentive and friendly. Our 15 month old son, Henry, has a stinking cold and was teething so wasn't on his best behaviour but the staff were fantastic with him. They even went as far as bringing out one of their dogs, a beautiful, huge dog called Barney, for Henry's entertainment. To top it all, and this is massive for parents of small children, they had a full baby change unit, complete with nappies, wipes and nappy bags! I can honestly say I've never seen that anywhere else.
All in all, for three mains, two desserts and drinks, the bill came to less than £75! Needless to say, I intend to visit again when we're next in the area. I genuinely cannot wait.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Small and very friendly, the menu never fails sunday lunch is fantastic, the room downstairs is perfect for a larger party, the service is friendly and homely

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

I did really enjoy evening with my friends at Clays of Broseley !Very nice, welcoming and attentive staff. Very nice food, good choise of draft beers. And of course, beautiful outside area. I do highly recommend to visit this amazing place

1  Thank lucietf8
Reviewed 6 April 2017

At last there is an excellent restaurant with high standards in this area. We went on Mothers Day and the restaurant was full but that didn't mean the service or food suffered. The owner is charming and the food delicious with lots of varying flavours. I recommend this highly.