All reviewspapaya restaurantcosta ricaguacamoleboutique hotelan oasisbusy roadplaya brasilitosmall hotelthe main roadthe entire staffdelicious foodlive musicsuperior roomminute walkowners and staffwelcome drinkincluded breakfast
Reviewed 4 March 2018

This is a beautiful, colorful boutique hotel at a great price. I loved just hanging out by the pool being surrounded by nature. Lots of shade and a cool breeze.

It's about a 10 minute walk to Playa Brasilito, which was always pretty empty; amazing to us as it's so beautiful. But the reason for that is that Playa Conchal, which is even more beautiful with white sand and turquoise water, is only another 5-10 minutes farther down. We weren't aware that we'd have to walk uphill to get to it, which might be a struggle for older people, but it's only a small hill and well worth it. There are a handful of restaurants, souvenir stores, and markets in town. We stayed three nights, which included one full day tour elsewhere, and that was plenty of time in Brasilito-- which we enjoyed, it's just a small town.

I liked the decor and size of our Superior Room, but found the bed sheets and blankets to be stiff, not soft. We were under the restaurant and were woken up each morning around 6 by staff preparing for breakfast. We wanted to sleep until at least 8, so that was kind of annoying. Breakfast was good, but would like a little more variety. We had dinner at the restaurant one night, and it was fine, but more expensive than we were accustomed to ($60 for two entrees and fruit juices, including tax and tip). Lovely atmosphere, though.

Would definitely recommend this hotel for a short stay in Brasilito, or as a home base for exploring other areas if you rent a car. Truly loved the atmosphere, colorful decor, flowers and trees!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't under the restaurant or too close to the road
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank coolia1212
ConchalHotel, Manager at Conchal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Thank you for your comments. The breakfast consists of a selection of fresh tropical fruits and juices, home made breads, cakes and preserves, cereals, coffee and specialty teas, and a choice of typical Costa Rican breakfast, American breakfast or pancakes. I would sincerely appreciate any feedback as to what else we could offer. Sorry for your early morning awakening, we have discussed with the staff and made some improvements to reduce the noise levels. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

This boutique hotel is gorgeous. The garden/pool area is full of flowers and cool shade, with beautiful trees and an abundance of birds. To us, it was paradise! The rooms were large and comfortable, beautifully done and nice and cool. The atmosphere was happy and always friendly up in the bar/ restaurant, pleasant music and the best staff ever. Gustavo was wonderful! He is full of life and kindness, efficient and fun! We will fondly remember our time here!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim B
ConchalHotel, Manager at Conchal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Thank you so much for visiting us and for booking directly through our website. it means so much to our small business. Wishing you happy travels for the future and we hope to se you again soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I am deeply disapointed in this hotel for their cancellation policies and their treatment of visitors who have to cancel reservations for medical reasons (doctors note provided). We were scheduled to arrive at the hotel on November 14, 2017.

Just prior to our trip, we found out I was pregnant and would not be allowed to travel to the country due to the Zika Virus. As soon as I became aware of the situation, I called Hotels.com to have them cancel the reservation and request a refund (as it was due to a medical situation EVERY other booked item for this trip was refunded in full). The Hotels.com service rep returned to the call and informed me they would not be providing a refund. When requested to speak with the hotel myself I was denied and sent to find contact information myself.

I finally was able to contact the hotel, and the rep I spoke to was completely understanding and said they would request the refund on my behalf. I kept my eye on our bank accounts for months and didn't see anything or hear anything back from the hotel. I contacted them again this month to follow up only to find out that no request was made but the offer was available for me to rebook our visit for other date (which doesn't work in our situation as we won't be able to travel to Costa Rics until we are done having children).

After several back and forth, rude, conversations with a gentleman named SIMON, it is apparent that they are not willing to work with me at all. Apparently I was marked as a no-show because it isn't possible to cancel any reservation within 30-days no matter the situation.

I have now given Conchal Hotel $293.82 free of any service or hotel use, and they will not work with me in any way. I would not reccomend them for travel as they are rude and not cooperative in emergency situations.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank for taking the time to contact us. As you already know we have explained the situation over the last few weeks to you in various emails, and I am again happy to mention the FACTS here You made a non-refundable reservation with a discounted room rate, through Hotels.com and requested a waiver of fees a few days before your arrival. They made no mention of any factors, medical or otherwise, and we denied the request to cancel without charge. You did not continue with the cancellation process so you were marked as a no-show on your due date of arrival. We have no record of any direct contact with yourself. We kept the room for you in case you were delayed but next heard from you around 2 months later, when you queried the payment. The situation was explained, and we immediately offered a date change as a gesture of good will.

We always try to help as much as we can in the case of emergency or unforeseen circumstances, but unfortunately if we are not provided with any information there's very little we can do to help, especially some weeks later. I always recommend to make bookings directly through our website where we are able to respond much more quickly and are much more flexible with cancellation requests.

On another note, we always recommend travel insurance (which is actually offered on the payment page of most of the online travel agents, and goes further to explain the significance of a non-refundable reservation and why you should have coverage). Ultimately our hotel is not responsible for poor travel planning or changes in personal circumstances although again, we will always try to assist. We are a very small hotel and rely on a high occupancy to keep in business.

I'm sorry you find it appropriate to attack my character personally. I have been dealing with your various emails and have always responded rapidly and courteously. I'm also very sorry you chose to present your alternative facts in this forum, but my staff and I work too hard to be threatened with poor reviews in instances when we have done everything we can to assist you.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

The room isn’t very clean and the place is way to close from the road... we can hear the car driving by all night long... a bit silly as well to do some hotel works while we are trying to relax by the pool

Stayed: February 2018
2  Thank christianebao
ConchalHotel, Owner at Conchal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

So sorry you were not happy with your stay. Unfortunately we had some emergency works to take care of during your stay which happens from time to time. We do appreciate your feedback but are sorry you did not choose to mention your issues at the time, when we would have been very happy to take action immediately to make it right for you.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

We stayed for seven nights at the Conchal Hotel, using our rental jeep to explore the area's beaches and attractions up to 90 minutes away. The hotel is a five-minute walk from Playa Brasilito. The owners of the hotel, who were present every day, were very helpful answering our questions and giving advice about local attractions. This is the kind of hotel where it feels safe the leave your room unlocked when you go to breakfast. Iguanas on the roof, guests from around the world and three nights of acoustic music at the hotel restaurant during our week there made for a fun and very pleasant stay. We found Brasilito much more authentic than Tamarindo or Playa Flamingo.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jemezhiker
ConchalHotel, Manager at Conchal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, it means everything to us that our guests are happy and relaxed! Thank you for your feedback and we wish you happy travels for the future!