“Lovely little Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

I took my wife here for her birthday and we had a great evening. The food was delicious and it was obvious that it was made with pride and care. Our starters were a lovely selection of mini bruschetta with various toppings and a lovely creamy chanterelle mushroom topped bruschetta. They were extremely tasty.

I had Chicken in a Marsala sauce and my wife went wild and had a pizza. Both were great. In summary, this place is a cosy and atmospheric little place where delicious, reasonably priced food is made and served by really friendly staff. Thanks also go to chef for recommending a really nice post meal whisky from the Deanston distillery......and going off to fetch another bottle on realising there was only a partial dram left. Will definitely be back.

4  Thank Tom G

Reviewed 11 August 2017

The service was very good and a good location , quiet cosy atmosphere one of the best pizzas I have had for a long time

3  Thank marks402016
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Lest anyone wonder why a dedicated south east townie has been making regular journeys to Doune, all can now be revealed. It wasn’t the castle – though as a Monty Python fan it could have been (MP & The Holy Grail was filmed around the castle – I found out last week the knights who go Nih was filmed just behind Doune sanitation works!) but to visit an aged relative who five years ago took us to a new restaurant that had opened in Doune and the rest is history.
My other reviews of L’angolino describe a restaurant at the top of its game and producing honest, well sourced, great cooking. We must have eaten at Langolino’s 20 times over the last five years, including a memorable 90th birthday party in 2015, and it has been the most consistently great dining experience we have had. Gerry in the kitchen and Kitty who runs things (including Gerry!) have become friends not only with us but also the old curmudgeon we came to see – but then at 92 you are allowed to be a bit cantankerous. Alas no more as another survivor of “the greatest generation” has departed these shores for Elysium and his well-deserved rest. It was a subdued duo that came to the restaurant for dinner six weeks ago only to be told that Gerry and Kitty too were moving on; they had proved their point and equally importantly trained the next generation to run an outstanding Italian restaurant. We decided that we had to attend their last service and so it was that we were in Doune in early July.
The food was of course spectacular. Mrs B had the fish skewers with the most amazing fennel gratin which I will try to replicate but it won’t be as good as Gerry’s. I had a simple pasta dish which had nowhere to hide – probably no more than six ingredients and it was miraculous. I have tried to make ravioli and I can either make it too thick or it splits – and I am not a bad cook. This was just sublime, as light as a feather, not a bit soggy and in a sauce that just brought out the distinct flavours of the filling without drowning them. I know we had starters but I have to tell you about the pudding because Gerry had decided to go out with a flourish.
For years he had been threatening to serve something made with Buckfast tonic wine. For those of you who don’t know Scotland’s other national drink Bucky is 15% alcoholic wine made by the Monks of Buckfast Abbey, it also contains as much caffeine as six cups of coffee. Better known as “Commotion Lotion” or “Cumbernauld Rocket Fuel” there is even a “Bucky Triangle” east of Glasgow where boats don’t go missing but for serious drinkers of Bucky days can! This is an ingredient that has to be handled with care. It was masterly of course; a reduction of Buckfast across two meringue nests filled with cream and soft summer fruit that had themselves been soused in the wine. It was sweet, sharp, soft and crunchy with just a hint of that slightly umami taste from the caffeine; turning Bucky into a desert that a Michelin starred restaurant would have been happy to put out is really some accomplishment.
So there you have it – the end of an era, or two eras. The new Chef has been trained by Gerry and will I am sure deliver impeccable food in the years ahead. I am equally sure he will develop his own following and everyone wishes him well, Doune needs a decent restaurant. While we will return to Doune in August after that, we will have no reason to come back – unless Gerry and Kitty decide to do it all again!

7  Thank brighouse55
Reviewed 29 June 2017

We ate here twice while travelling to and from Scotland. The quality of the food on both occasions was excellent. The chef came out from the kitchen for a chat and to see if we had enjoyed our meal and the rest of the staff were very helpful and friendly. The restaurant is not open every night so it is essential to book as it is very popular. We had a lovely evening on both occasions and I would not hesitate to recommend this lovely little restaurant.

1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

This tiny Italian gem with a self taught Scottish chef was a most pleasant surprise. The food was as good as I have had in some very good restaurants in Italy. I had a wonderful ravioli dish and my wife had cod. Both excellent. The chef told us that his philosophy was to "keep it simple". It obviously works.