“Nice....BUT” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Mandrem
Dubai
“Nice....BUT”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Well the place is lovely surrounding is so peaceful and nice. Rooms are basic, but not missing any of your needs. However, I believe it is overpriced for the quality of rooms offered.
Shower was not working neither the hot water, they promised to fix it did not happen. Bed sheets was spotted with dirt requested to removed and to get a clean fresh one, but all what happened they changed the direction of the unclean area of the bed sheet!!!
I was really disappointed with the food & the service. It needs a lot of upgrading in the stuff training and the rooms as it is such a lovely place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank YogaBless

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kottayam, Kerala, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Mandrem Beach Resort has probably one of the best locations on Mandrem beach, with a couple of rooms just a stones throw away from the idyllic beach, provided you can find some stones to throw, for it’s a beach after all you know.

They seem to have nice theme based rooms, and I think we got the ‘Spartan’ themed one.
For, in our room there were no customary towels or bed linen. But a call to the reception did rectify that. Thanks to the ever pleasant and jovial Vincent Thank You without whom we would have been lost.

The resort does have a well-located restaurant, which gives a panoramic view of the beach and the sea. The restaurant is manned by Genghis Khan’s and Attila The Hun’s unaccounted for children, for, never have I come across such hostile and rude persons anywhere this side of the Mandovi and Zuari. In fact they would make a caged monkey in heat look like a welcome treat.

One would think that with the airs they put out, they serve some gastronomical delights to rival some Michelin star chefs, but perish any such thoughts, for the food you get at this restaurant will make you cry and I’m not usually that crying type of person sniff sniff.

But if you are lucky enough you might bump into Mr. Andy there who is the resident yoga guru, aroma therapist, coffee curator, scientist, noted gandhian, mechanic, failed socialite, chocoholic, ballet dance inventor …..in fact he knows everything about everything. He is bound to give some pointers on where to have the good meals in an around Mandrem and surprisingly his recommendations were not that bad.

One personal touch of the hotel, which you might or might not appreciate, is that they generously plant a large number of bed bugs on your bed. These critters ensure that you have a miserable time sleeping at night, and you wake up in the morning looking like a bad cartoon mishap, so that the waiters at the restaurant can poke fun at you !!!

But otherwise it’s a great place and I would recommend it to say people like my mother in law and tax auditor.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Peelipose
Pune, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Mandrem Beach Resort has the best location and its got the most awesome staff who are super helpful. The manager Vincent helped us get great deals on transportation and his staff ensured that our mini-vacation of just 2 days was one of the best ever.

The resort is right on the beach and the restaurant overlooks the sea with a decent selection of food at great prices. Best place to stay in Mandrem for sure!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank anulala
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

This was my first trip to Goa and many guide books and internet sites suggested Mandrem the quietest and most unspoilt beach and possibly the best in Goa. I'm glad I heeded their advice as it was absolutely amazing with wide beaches and not many people, you had a large expanse of perfect beach to yourself. If you like a quiet, peaceful time then Mandrem is definitely your place. You can walk along the beach for 10 minutes either way to find busier towns if you need a change for a drink or diner.

There are about a dozen places to stay I'd say in Mandrem and the Mandrem Beach Resort looked the best to me (after being there several weeks and checking things out), it's on the beach and the small blocks of 4 rooms are widely spread about and in well-kept grounds. The yoga retreat next door (daily drop-in classes at 8am and 4pm) also looked really nice but only has beach huts (nice ones though) and the Villacat guest house is also next door (you'll see Mandrem is very small) and that looked excellent too and I know gets good reviews on here.

At Mandrem Beach Resort block E is overlooking the beach, I paid more for one of these (about £7 a night more, total about £40 a night) to have an incredible view of the beach from my room and balcony, however I had a good look around and think next time I'll have one overlooking the river, equally beautiful I think and it's not as though you won't see plenty of the beach! If it's your first visit then block E is probably best.

The hotel is very well managed and staffed. The Manager, Vincent, was really helpful in answering my emails before visiting, and friendly and helpful whilst I was there. The rooms are clean and have hot showers in the en-suite bathroom and are very solidly built, so quiet. They are also very secure and I didn't feel the need to put my wallet, iphone and money in the security boxes in reception. I wish I'd appreciated how safe the rooms would feel, I didn't take my laptop which was really stupid as free wi-fi available in many places in Mandrem.

There is a restaurant at the hotel which is as good as any in Mandrem I thought and staff there perfect (I'd like to adopt Sudish). Breakfast isn't included but cost about £1.50 for cereal, eggs and toast, juice and coffee. I also ate many lunches and dinners there and as good as you'll get in Mandrem (the spring roll excellent and the butter chipatti is a must). The restaurant is quiet and so this isn't for everyone. I think a lot of people walk to the other towns (or take a cheap taxi), I just didn't bother.

I would highly recommend the Mandrem Beach Resort and definitely plan to return. You can walk along the beach for miles and on my last night I was lucky enough to see baby turtles making their first journey to the sea, it was very moving to see and I watched until all four were in the sea, sadly these were the 'runts' and the last had a deformed shell and didn't seem very robust and took a long time to cover just a metre of sand. Apparently they were the last four of a batch of 146 and the metre-long momma turtle whistles to guide them to the sea, sadly I didn't see this (there were two environment protection officers there and they answered questions and had monitored the nest site). This was about 4 minutes walk from the hotel! Amazing.

In summary I'd say Mandrem is for you if you want quiet unspoilt beaches and if you do choose Mandrem then the Mandrem Beach Resort is the place to stay. It's solid and safe, clean (I didn't have a single bug in my room thankfully!) and well managed and excellent value for money. As I've said the staff are excellent and the location could not be better. Many people return it seems (as I will I'm sure) and whilst there I saw two groups ( a small German family and a friendly mature lesbian couple) ask to extend their stays as they had planned to move along the coast but felt Mandrem was just perfect. I don't think they were able to extend as hotel full, as are the other places in Mandrem, it is very small and so limited accommodation.

My criticism isn't really valid as such: the hotel website and pictures don't make it clear at how safe and nice the rooms are and that it is a "proper" hotel. The hotel site and literature about Mandrem make it (the whole town) sound a bit hippy and haphazard, I didn't take my laptop as I've said and didn't expect to be able to pay for my room with AMEX! There's about a paragraph about Mandrem in the Lonely Planet guide, which is crazy, though they do say it is one of the best and most secluded.

I had an amazing two weeks at the Mandrem Beach Resort and am more than happy to give it 5 stars.

MANDREM BEACH DOGS are lovely and aren't interested in you whatsoever, unless you have food I guess. I liked watching them chase crabs, which they rarely got, even with much digging.

Room Tip: Block E faces the sea and from your room (and private balcony) you have uninterrupted view of the se...