“Wonderful Setting” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Odcombe B&B and Inns
Kent UK
“Wonderful Setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed for just one night with our dog. All the staff were friendly and efficient. Our room had everything you could want including a bed and bowl for the dog. This was a big surprise as she stayed free of charge - most unusual.

The food, in particular breakfast, was excellent.

We will definitely return here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

If you are like me accommodation is best a bit of old with a bit of new, well that’s what you have here. A great old pub and modern rooms. I am still reeling from what you get for £49 quid in room 6 (single en suit), when did you last get a dressing gown for less that £150 it was brilliant.
In the pub and the staff were perfect, nothing was too much trouble and the food great. Breakfast was also out of this world, all in all the best accommodation for the price, EVER.
But life is never fair and I have to add this note. I commend them on the dog policy and love to see dogs in pubs, with or without food but like children it’s the owners. I guess he was a regular at the bar, with his mad old English sheep dog that he seemed to have no control of. Untrained dogs are annoying but when they are this size they simply have to be under control, it lurched and tried to jump on everyone that came in and swished its tail over my table. The reason I am annoyed it that he chose to sit at the 6ft longs bar with his 6ft long dog, it was so selfish he seemed to want to ensure his dog got in EVERYONES way, nobody could not enter the pub without being slobbered and jumped on by the thing. A large table of women arrived and had to run the gauntlet of this dog, I got my whole hand slobbered on while reading the paper and nearly lost my pint numerous time to it tail. If I had a dog like that I would never ever be so selfish to sit where he did.
So, great pub, great rooms but that one dog and owner need sorting out. I would happily see dogs all over the place but that dog has left me in two minds over The Mason Arms, l may give it one more go next month?

Room Tip: Slight danger in summer as beer garden is bang outside the ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Saidtheguru
masonsarms, Owner at The Masons Arms, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
I am sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your comment but I was waiting until I had spoken to the dog owner in question, Steve, and he doesn't come in that often! Penny his dog is young and excitable and he does try to keep her out of the way but of course being quite large she does cause a bit of an obstruction at the bar. The owner enjoys popping in for a couple of pints when his shift pattern allows it and many people find Penny adorable. He is very concious that when the pub is busy he is in the way so he does normally leave early if this is the case. I'm sorry it spoilt your last stay with us but please be assured he is not here all the time and if you mention when you book that you would prefer a table away from the bar we'll make sure there is no erroneous tail wagging near you or your pint!
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed at the Masons Arms for 2 nights last weekend and had a wonderful stay. Everything was perfect from the lovely rooms to the wonderful food. The atmosphere in the evening was fantastic as the restaurant was fully booked both evenings. We will certainly be returning as soon as possible.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which faced the back and it was very quiet
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
tunbridge wells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed 2 weeks ago for 1 night and everything was perfect, the room, the evening meal, the breakfast (my husband said the scrambled eggs were the best he ever had) and what we liked also is that dogs are made very welcome (very rare in UK).
I wish there were more places like this one and we highly recommend it

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights for my partner's birthday.

The room was 5 star - fully tiled wetroom with dressing gowns provided, and of course toiletries, even a shoe shiner!!! The room was good too.

When we arrived we were told that there were two cold beers and two bottles of water in the mini fridge for FREE!! You don't usually get that! We ate in the pub both nights and the food is excellent - on the Sunday night I had roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast and new potatoes, roast parsnips and a selection of veg. The beef was to die for!!! it melted in the mouth.

The breakfasts are good too, with the eggs coming from their hens at the back. We will definitely be going back there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rollerteam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Odcombe
2.4 km away
5.8 km away
The Hollies Hotel
The Hollies Hotel
#1 of 2 in Martock

Been to The Masons Arms? Share your experiences!