All reviews pandan wine and cheese stardust band walking tour general manager resident band fishing village blue lagoon restaurant breakfast was excellent sun terrace ham tien shuttle buses phan thiet from ho chi minh city the red sand dunes spa services cooking class
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We just come back from the Mui Ne holiday 2 nights with Pandanus Mui Ne. The experiences was a mix feelings. At some points, the experiences was great, but most of the times was disappointed. Overall, I would not rate this resort more than average (3), but probably from Poor to Average (2 to 3 points).

Pros:
+ The room I got situated in a wonderful location, beach front with a great view.
+ the dinner and Blue Lagoon had a really nice band Stardust, this is the first time I got that experience. Their voice was so great.
+ the beach's nice and clean.
+ I highly value the communication skills of "Tran Thi Ngoc Minh", she was the manager (I think the reception or reservation), she tried to calm me down and apologize for the mistake room services team made even that wasn't her fault.
+ The spa was given as the exchange for the mistake from the room preparation team. I had a hot stone treatment outside, it was really refreshing, would recommend this one.
Cons:
+ The first impression was so bad. I booked a room for 2 with a combined bed. I many times emphasize and told them to remember to combine the bed. I know that I came late at 2.15pm, they told me that they will finish in around 1 hour. After incorporating late arrival with extra one hour for them to prepare the room, they told me at around 3:45pm (15 mins late) that the room was ready, but I came in and Wow, 2 beds weren't combined even I asked them many times. After I called the reception, they told that the room services team might "FORGET"! I don't accept that term as the room was simply given uncompleted to me, that's it.
+ After I received the room for a while, a person came and told me that they "FORGOT" to put 2 towels in the bathroom!
To put it simple, there's a problem in the room preparation team and communication between reception and this team, they seem to forget sometimes and you have to check your room carefully. For my case, the team forget twice for one room, which I believe should not be the case in this industry, especially for a 4 star resort.
+ Food was so so, but the price is sky-high. This price's equal to 5 star luxury resort in Bali I stayed before, but the quality was far lower. The lamb shank was way so tough to be eatable for the lunch. Others was acceptable, nothing is special.
+ Staffs are not up to standards.
. At the buffet, staffs stayed in group and chat with others, annoying guests. There was a group staying just after my back and speak with others while they have tasks to do.
. At the beach, no one approach me for the sheet on the chair, I have to call them very loud as they was busy talking with each other.
. I called the reception for the billiards balls, but after a while no one comes! We gave up and leave the table, no call back from the reception whatsoever.
+ The pillow make my neck now painful. It's soft, but you can't fully lie your head down the bed as the pillow's so thick, there's an angle between your head and the neck. That's why my neck's now painful after the holiday.
+ One thing to emphasise is the fridge, it's extremely annoying and noisy. At night time, we can't sleep as the fridge's running every around 10 mins, it's very noisy at night time, it's like 10 years fridge in this type of resort. So sleep quality is zero.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harry V
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, Public Relations at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your kind remarks about our ambiance and spa facilities as well as your compliments to our band and front office manager. Your comments have been relayed to them.

We must apologize for the fact that the bungalow you booked had not yet been cleaned at check-in time. Normally all rooms that are scheduled for arrival are ready by then, but a large group had just checked out around noon and the housekeeping staff did not have time to clean all the rooms scheduled for arrival by 14:00. When you were told that we had no king size beds in bungalows available and you asked that the two double size beds be pushed together, the front office staff attempted to call the housekeeping staff at the bungalows using our walkie-talkies, but evidently one of them was not working, which is why the message was not relayed. Also, the housekeeping staff that cleaned the bungalow knew that they had not set up sufficient towels when they told the front desk to give you the key. They did not want you to wait any longer and they thought that it would be better to give you the bungalow as soon as possible, rather than making you sit in the lobby while they get more towels from the laundry. Therefore, the staff had not ‘forgotten’ either to push the beds together or to give you the towels, as you stated.

In order to make up for the fact that we were almost two hours late checking you in, we gave the two of you complimentary one hour massages in our spa. We are sorry if this was not sufficient compensation for your inconvenience and that you felt the necessity to complain about the check-in.

We also must apologize if our rack of lamb was not cooked the way you like it and the staff in the restaurant were not attentive. However, your contention that our prices are “sky-high” is not accurate. For the imported New Zealand rack of lamb with condiments, you were charged VND 280,000 or around USD $12.00. I have stayed in five star resorts in Bali and I can assure you that their restaurants are more expensive than that for items such as an imported lamb dinner.

You stated that you spoke with someone about billiards balls when there was no attendant on duty in the lounge. We have asked our reception staff about this and none of them remember your call. Normally, this would be the responsibility of our F&B staff or our guest relations manager, but they do not recall that you made the request either.

Did you mention the noise from the mini-bar to anyone? Had you reported the problem, I’m sure that maintenance would have come to your room to fix it immediately.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

This place is terrible. I could've booked a room in one of the cheap motels outside and had better experience than this. Let me tell you everything wrong with our two-day trip on a special "Summer Escape" package that cost a lot of money.

First, we spent 2 million VND (the equivalent of around 90 USD) for a 16-seat car to pick us up and from Ho Chi Minh city. They immediately said yes without caring about the address. Turned out that our street in Ho Chi Minh city prohibits big cars and they couldn't get in the street, so we had to walk a very long distance to the car.

When we got to the resort, we were told that we needed to put down 4 million VND as a down payment in case we use services in the hotel. This was a real problem because nobody told us this when we were booking the rooms. We brought about 6 million VND in cash with us thinking that it would be enough to try out the local food and buy souvenirs. WIth 4 million gone, you can imagine how disappointed we were. We had to spend our vacation spending money sparingly just because of that. And we didn't even use the services in the hotel that much.

The worst problem is the food services included in the package. In our "Summer Escape" package, we had two free dinners. However, in BOTH DINNERS, they FORGOT something. The first time, they forgot the Lau Bun Tha Phan Thiet. We had to wait a long time before finally asking and they just said that they forgot and that they were sorry. No compensation, nothing. At least they brought it to us eventually. However, the second day was wayyyyy worse. First, nobody asked or brought us any water. We waited a very long time until we'd had enough and had to walk to them and ask. Also, they forgot an item in the menu again. They forgot the Goi Thanh Long Thit Cua, and when we asked, they said that THEY FORGOT, AGAIN. We either had to wait 30 minutes for them to bring it up (which is already at the end of our meal), or just leave. We decided it wasn't worth it and just left. This was horrible service, worse than the local restaurants we tried. This behavior is unacceptable for an expensive resort.

Lastly, the thing that sucks almost as much as the service is the wifi. Wifi is very strong and fast, but it keeps disconnecting throughout the day. This became a huge issue with our entire family. Who cares if you have strong wifi if it can't connect to the internet every 30 seconds.

Overall, besides the private beach area and the pool, and maybe the scenes around the resort (maybe the Spa too), this resort fails at the most fundamental things that can satisfy customers. I would never come back again.

Room Tip: Just don't come here.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, Public Relations at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you for choosing the Pandanus Resort, but we are disappointed that you felt that our resort is ‘terrible’. We do our utmost to try to please our customers, but as the adage states; “You cannot please all of the people all of the time”
It is strange that you are complaining to us about the regulations on the street in Ho Chi Minh City where your family lives. This is something about which your family should be aware, as they live there and they know the neighborhood. I realize that you live in the United States and might not have been aware of these regulations, but your family certainly should have known about this when they booked a vehicle to bring you to our resort. In addition, the price you paid is the same price that is charged by virtually all taxi and tour companies for smaller cars, so you were actually given a discounted rate for a larger vehicle. The distance from your family’s home to the resort is approximately 225 kilometers. Therefore the charge of VND 2,000,000, or USD $85.89, for a private car transfer is very reasonable.

When you arrived at the resort, you were not told that you must leave VND 4,000,000 as per your complaint. Instead, Mr. Vinh, our guest relations manager, informed you of three options upon check-in. The first was to put down the cash as a guarantee against additional charges made in the resort during your stay. The second option was to leave a credit card guarantee for incidental charges. The third option was to not leave anything as a guarantee. Vinh told your family that if they chose the third option, your party would have been required to pay at the outlets for any additional services. Therefore, you could have opted to leave nothing when you checked in, but your family did not choose that option.

We have asked our F&B manager to explain the reason for the poor service in the restaurant. He replied that your comments were correct and for that we do apologize. The service the first night was slow because the restaurant was quite busy, with approximately 125 covers that night. So, the kitchen took some time to get the orders out. The second night, our wait staff did indeed forget the dragon fruit salad with crab meat and brought it at the end of your meal. We are very sorry for this and you are correct that we should have offered some type of compensation. Again, we must apologize.

Our staff mentioned that you were playing games on the phone constantly during your stay, even while walking through Mui Ne on our walking tour and while checking in and out. Therefore, we are aware that the wifi connection is very important to you. However, gaming uses a lot of bandwidth and when there are many other people in the resort on the internet, the system becomes overloaded. For most users, this simply results in a slowdown. But, for those who are gaming, the overloaded LAN bandwidth may well result in a shutdown on our ISP network. At present we are using two VNPT transmission lines with a bandwidth of 80Mbps. More and more people are constantly on the internet, so your comments have made us aware that we need to upgrade the system. We are now looking into this and expect to have a larger capacity in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

The Pandanus is a resort set within beautifully kept gardens right on the beach. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The food was very good especially the large buffet breakfast. Plenty of western choices. We had a bungalow close to the beach and the pool. The bungalow's are well furnished and very clean. There is a lovely large swimming pool with plenty of sun loungers. The only complaint I have is there was no waiter service round the pool.
There was great entertainment of a night with the resident band although it was spoilt one night because of a karaoke party blasting out to the side of the lounge where the band was playing.
Otherwise we had a great time and would recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Mui Ne.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, Public Relations at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Thank you for staying with us and for your very favorable review.

I just wanted to respond to your comments about the pool area and the noise one evening. Normally we do provide service for guests around the pool and those lounging at the beach. We mentioned your observation to the staff at the pool bar and reminded her to be more diligent about making sure that guests are provided with the proper service. Our apologies if the wait staff did not come around often enough.

The evening that you were disturbed by the sound of the karaoke near the lounge we had a Vietnamese corporate event at our lotus garden below the restaurant. Like most Vietnamese, they love their karaoke and they turned the volume up higher than it should have been. Normally, our security staff or managers on duty will notice if a group gets too loud, but evidently that night they did not recognize the problem and since nobody complained, they did not require that the group lower the volume. Again, we must offer our apologies and thank you for your glowing recommendation.

Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

The hotel is a bit old and everything in the room is just old. Quite a lot of fruit flies around the room and the hotel. Apart from the old facilities, the hotel is overall good. They have a big swimming pool and a private beach connected to the hotel. It is all you can ask for a resort. The breakfast has a lot of choices but the taste is fair

The location of the hotel is near to the red sand dunes, but there isnt much good and decent restarant nearby. We had to take taxi to get to the restaurant area.

PS had an unpleasant experience that the hotel required us to show our credit card paid upon booking in order to check in, which doesnt make any sense coz people do not bring the usual credit card when travelling and it wasnt mentioned in any of the email they sent us. They asked to cancel the booking and re-pay it while checking-in. Still have to keep an eye on the refund and it is super inconvenience to travelers

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry if you felt that your experience was not as good as you would have liked..

You made a couple of comments about some issues that I would like to clarify, however.

Your initial reflection was that everything in the hotel is old. Although the resort itself is fifteen years old, all of our rooms and bungalows were completely gutted and re-built within the past three years. At the time that the accommodations were redone, all the furniture was replaced with new items. Therefore, you may feel that the style of the room and the furniture is not as modern as you would like, but the items are definitely not old.

The flies this time of the year are not fruit flies, but rather house flies. When the fishing boats come in and unload their catch, the oil from the fish often drops onto the beaches, which creates a perfect breeding ground for house flies. When the rains come, the flies hatch and are prevalent throughout the Phan Thiet area in the rainy season. Their existence is not unique to the Pandanus Resort, but rather is an irritant at all of the Phan Thiet resorts this time of year.

Some of the restaurants near the resort are quite good, according to most of our guests. The quality and price of the food in the restaurants across from the resort, such as Gia Huy or Ba Tai, for example, compare very favorably to any Vietnamese restaurant in Ham Tien. Also, we have free shuttles to the Bo Ke Seafood Restaurants in Mui Ne and to the Ham Tien tourist area every evening, so guests do not have to take taxis if they wish to dine in restaurants further afield.

When guests arrive, they are requested to present their credit cards as a guarantee so that they may charge the food, drinks, spa and other services to their rooms. A temporary hold is placed on an amount that would cover most charges during the guest stay and upon check out, the hold is reversed. No charge appears on the guests' credit cards. You obviously misunderstood the request as you somehow thought that it was related to the prepayment of your room, rather than as a guarantee for services. Guests who do not have a credit card or do not leave a deposit are not allowed to make charges to their rooms.

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

This resort was excellent. The grounds are fantastic and a pleasure to stroll through. The pool is fantastic and the beach was very nice. We went at the end of July and knew the water to be a bit tougher. That being said, we could swim in the ocean no problem. The service was excellent. My wife even had the on premise tailor make a copy of her favourite blouse. There were tons of space to spread out. It was our intention to explore Mui Ne but never made it past the red dunes 200m away. It was way too easy to relax in such a peaceful wonderful setting. We did go paddleboarding once. The complimentary breakfast has everything and is a delicious blend of Vietnamese, Asian and Western food. The lunches and meals were very good, both Vietnamese and Western. I believe we went during the low season because it wasn't busy and there were some amazing discounts for such an amazing place. We travelled with 2 boys and they were very happy the week we stayed. Rooms were very clean and comfortable with great amenities and free wifi. My wife and I liked the Philippino cover band while we had after dinner drinks. We will visit again. It was an easy train ride from Ho Chi Minh City.

1  Thank James R