“Excellent Gem - Must Visit”

Ristorante Gattogiallo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 August 2017

We stayed in Umbria for 2 weeks, the first in Spoleto and the second near Montegabbione, but in a very rural setting. We had to travel a bit to get to any restaurants along the legendary 'White Roads' and found the surrounding area not the best for restaurants as such. We didnt know the area and appreciate that we were not near a larger 'touristy' town, the likes of Todi/Siena/Volterra etc. This was down to us. So we had to hunt out restaurants and places to eat a bit, scrolling through the various restaurants on Trip Advisor and the like, filtering out the restaurants that we wanted to go to that we would enjoy and find what we thought to be good.

We found a couple of nice pizza places, to be reviewed if I have time, but though we would try Agritourism - we had a shocker at the first place we tried. Lovely place, average food and the only people in the whole place. But never the less, we thought we would try again and the reviews indicated that Gattogiallo would be worth the try. We were not disappointed. All the food was phenomenal, the wine lovely and the chef popped out and checked on his tables as well as greeting us with a handshake. Selling his own meat or locally sourced, local wines and homemade pasta, it perfectly summed up what I would expect from such a place. Its not cheap, but it is worth the money. We spent €120 for two adults and two children for a shared starter, a kilo of T-Bone between us and a main course for each child, and a bottle of wine. Glass of bubbles on arrival and cracking bread provided gratis.

Views lovely, staff lovely, wine lovely, meat lovely - my wife's favourite meal of the holiday - high praise indeed.

You must visit and eat here.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Just a wonderful superb experience
The staff were welcoming and friendly and a complimentary Proseco was a nice welcome
The food was superb - innovative with fresh local flavours and superb presentation
Nice wines at a reasonable price too
Child friendly - our 15 month old was welcomed and a nice plain dish of pasta for him was no problem
I would strongly recommend

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We were heading to our friends restaurant in Citta Della Pieve. He was booked out for a large party and he called his Alessandro (The Chef) to see if they could fit a party of 12 people. They gave us a great setting outside looking over the mountains as the sun set. The food was awesome. I had the strangozzi pasta with meat and a hint of chocolate. The kids got some bistecca and others got just great variety of food. The wine was delicious and the atmosphere and service top notch. Alessandro came out to chat after the meal and we hung out and talked for a while. He was a pleasure and we will be back in October to see him again.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Fantastic meal in a stunning setting. The food is very fresh and local. They are creative with their palate. The flavours are subtle but distinct. We left the wine choice to the staff and they suggested an excellent pairing.

The staff are very friendly and helpful; they are warm and genuine. The setting is a patio overlooking the farm and the Umbrian hills. It is calm and peaceful. We finished dinner and watched the sunset over the hills and Montegabbione lit up in the distance. It was superb.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Fresh, high quality Italian food! I have been a regular to the Gatto Giallo for a few years by now and yet I am always anew surprised when I treat myself to a meal there. And I believe it is Alessandro's passion for excellent food that one can taste with every bite - starting with the home backed bread and finishing perhaps with a glass of a rather distinguished and unusual grappa.
As I am vegetarian, Alessandro, the chef, is always happy to suggest a dish that might not be on the menu, but since he has the fresh produce handy, to concoct something special and delicious (even though the regular menu does always offer wonderful vegetarian choices).
Friends and family who enjoyed fish and meat courses at the restaurant still marvel about the quality and creativity (e.g. Oxtail, a meat not often served anymore, but left a big, positive impression with my friends.
The Gatto Giallo offer great food, a lovely atmosphere and a service that makes you feel truly at ease to enjoy what you'll find on your plate.