2,068 results
All reviewsocean viewhemingways restaurantscreened in porchfull kitchengrocery storewasher and dryersands resortrum punchan umbrellahobie catstour deskcoral gardensother resortspaddle boardstiki hutbeautiful beachliving room
Reviewed 16 March 2018

The hotel, free access to water sports equipment, the beach is beautiful! The restaurant was fine, but few smiles or happy people working there.. The location is great (close to the mall and groceries store).

Room Tip: Amazing ocean view
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

The resort is really nice and the people were great too. The beach was beautiful as expected. The restaurant on site was great too. We ate most lunches there and then walked the long beach to different restaurants along the beach for dinners. For breakfast we walked the 10 minutes to town each morning. All the food was great, but expensive as expected. Although we felt the lunch prices at Hemingway’s were rather reasonable.
Yes, there are kids at this resort but in no way did they have any negative impact on our stay. Plus we understood going there that this was a family friendly resort.
We got to beach everyday by around 930/10 and the guys on the beach would set up beach chairs and umbrella for us. Never an issue getting chairs or umbrella at that time. They seemed to have plenty.
The only one negative of the resort would be they need to update the bathrooms. At least the one we were in the fixtures were all not in good shape; shower head, drain, etc. Everything was very clean though and housekeeping came everyday.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky R
Reviewed 15 March 2018

We visited the Sands as a family of four during February vacation (February 18-25).
We were in building 2 in a 1-bedroom ocean view room.

THE GOOD

The room was spacious, clean, updated, and lovely. The bedroom was large, the bathroom was clean, and the living/dining room area was comfortable. The kitchen was very well stocked with supplies. The screened-in sitting area was huge. Our ocean view was definitely an ocean view. It was paradise.

The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the beach is amazing. I read another review saying the beach at The Sands is nothing special--I thought it was awesome. I can't imagine a better location for a beach vacation.

Housekeeping service was excellent. We gave them generous tips and they absolutely deserved it. They were the nicest staff there. We used a pull-out sofa for one of us, and there as no blanket on the sofa. When I called to ask for a blanket, it was sent over right away. We had an issue with one of the televisions, and again--when I called to ask for help, someone arrived soon after my call to help us. Staff was friendly and cheerful.

For the most part, the men setting up umbrellas at the beach were great. You can borrow snorkeling equipment, kayaks, paddle boards--just a great amenity for the guests. Lots of room on the beach so that one didn't feel overcrowded.

I loved the little coconut grove with the hammocks.

The hotel is in a very convenient location, easy walking distance to town.

The manager's cocktail hour on Tuesday was really nice. Lots of snacks and friendly staff to converse with.

There's a hospitality center where you can shower and change after you've checked out of your room. This was great--as we were allowed to hang out on the beach, then shower after the 11 a.m. check out.

THE BAD

We checked in on a Sunday afternoon. While the check in staff were very kind, they did seem a bit rushed. There was no offer to help us to the third floor with our luggage--just "here's a map of the property, here's your key and room number." They did offer us a rum punch, then forget to get it for us, so we just left for our room. At that point, were tired from a long day of traveling and just wanted to get to our room.

I didn't think much of this, until later in the week, when I saw a group of guests checking in, getting an enthusiastic welcome and very thorough overview of the hotel. A completely different check-in experience that what we experienced. And again--no one was rude when we checked in.

Our first night at the hotel, we went to Hemingway's. There was plenty of seating available. We were asked whether we had a reservation, which we did not...because when I made reservations for the hotel, I asked whether we needed to make reservations for Hemingways, and were told we didn't need any. The hostess was a little taken aback at the fact that we didn't have a reservation. Another time at Hemingway's, I asked for takeout for a hot dog, fries, and smoothie. The people waiting on us were unfriendly and and it took a very long time for the food to arrive, in a take-out bag.

On numerous times, during the busy vacation week, there were no beach towels at the pool/beach hut. We just used towels from our room, but it is surprising that the staff would run out of towels when Feb. vacation week is so busy.

The deal breaker for me is that guests are allowed to smoke in their screened-in balconies. There must have been someone smoking in a balcony below or next to us, because I smelled smoke at various times during the week. This was such a disappointment, because I loved sitting in the balcony. I am allergic to cigarette smoke. I have traveled all over the world and am well aware that countries have different policies about smoking in restaurants, etc. I can be flexible when it comes to dining out--I can always get up and move if someone is smoking nearby. But when a hotel is booked to capacity, I can't exactly ask to switch rooms. One solution I can think of is that perhaps one building could be made completely smoke-free, and that this is an option that guests could choose when selecting a hotel room.

Sometimes there were no lounge chairs available in the pool area, but I suspect that is because we went to the Sands during a very busy week. Again, though, maybe a solution would be to supply extra chairs when the staff knows it is going to be a busy week.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank spanielmom
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Very nice resort with very helpful staff. Nicely kept property and buildings. Beautiful beach! We walked the beach to some other restaurants and enjoyed the walk and the other restaurants. No need to leave The Sands - Hemingway's has great food and drinks and serves right to your beach chairs too. Easy walk to town or use their bikes for no charge. We'll be back!

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank brewferg
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Just got back from the Sands and after reading some of the terrible reviews I decided to say a few things.
First this is not a five star resort with all the comforts, sorry no room service.
It is a place where children come.
It is not the most expensive place to stay , but most people I know look for a deal and this place is one of those.
The staff , including the front desk staff, is almost always friendly and helpful. This is their job and they need the job , so it seems that usually it is tried travelers or propel who are never never happy who always complain.
I wrote this because I overheard some of the staff , really upset with what had been written about them. They told me they try to do their best but sometimes it is never enough .
I thinks for the price and the set up, kitchen, laundry, location it is a great place.
Food on the island is expensive, go to the Graceway market and get water, breakfast and snacks.
taxis are very expensive but if you do not want to drivethe cneter of Grace Bay is close.
You are safe on island but always be careful.
Enjoy , you will find like most that Provo and Turks is special and you will want to
come back.

Room Tip: second floor is best building three has only elevator
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family