2,074 results
All reviews ocean view hemingways restaurant screened in porch full kitchen grocery store washer and dryer sands resort rum punch an umbrella hobie cats tour desk coral gardens other resorts paddle boards tiki hut beautiful beach living room
Reviewed 5 February 2015

The Sands is in an excellent location on the beach with vacant properties on either side so there is great separation from other resorts along the beach. Its also a 10 minute walk to stores and restaurants. It is an older resort, apparently built in the mid 90's and being 3 stories there are no elevators if mobility is an issue. The grounds and exterior are well maintained but the interior of our studio was a little worn - needed a little tlc. The clientele during our visit was varied - young couples, retired couples, young families, singles, and a wedding to be held the week we left. We overheard several comments from people saying this was a return visit. Its a nice low key resort with very friendly and helpful staff - just not one of the newer 7 story upscale resorts. As for the restaurant - Hemingways - its OK but nothing special. The atmosphere / decor is great but the food certainly not exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cameron031
Reviewed 4 February 2015

My husband, adult daughter and I stayed at the Sands at Grace Bay from 1/29-2/2 and everything about our trip was SPECTACULAR! The grounds were gorgeous and well-maintained. The pools had crystal-clear water, with no scent of chlorine, and had cute canals linking them together. There were numerous nooks for separate seating around the pools, so we never felt crowded. Our two bedroom, oceanview suite had a great view of the water and was absolutely immaculate. I'm a stickler for details, so I was thrilled to see how clean and white the grout was around the bathtub and the attractive flatware in the kitchen (no cheap 'dining hall' silverware here!) We did not detect ANY trace of a musty smell in the room at all during our stay. We were on the second floor and loved the screened in porch. We slept each night with the porch sliding doors open so we could enjoy the outdoor breeze and not bother with the A/C.

ALL the staff and guests we met at the resort were super friendly and greeted us with a 'Good Morning' or "Hello, how are you?' The beach front is magnificent - it's hard to describe how many different shades of blue, aqua and turquoise there are in the world, but you see them ALL here in the water. We had no problem finding seating under the tiki huts on the beach. A bevy of other tourists and residents walked the beach continuously, but they were well behaved and obviously enjoying their stays also.

For dining, the Mango Shrimp salad at Hemingway's was delicious. The Lobster salad at the Mango Reef restaurant at the Alexandra resort was yummy. The pizza at Pizza Pizza La Terrazza was superb! (Can you detect a trend here?)
I would sell everything I own to go to Somewhere (the Somewhere Café at the Coral Garden resort) and eat their Coconut Banana pancakes every morning for the rest of my life. Our waitress there, Rasheda, was top notch!! Rum Punch for breakfast, for only $5.00?? This is what I picture Heaven to be like. It was definitely worth the 30 minute walk on the beach there from the Sands.

We had a great taxi driver who drove us around several times and was very funny and informative. (Laquad 'Quad' Garland, 649-243-1081; laquadgarland@yahoo.com) He was always on time and incredibly helpful. He recommended the Thursday night Fish Fry, drove us there, dropped us off and then came back an hour and a half later, just as he said he would. :-) We felt safe everywhere on the island, even walking back to the Sands at night after dining near the Salt Mill plaza.

We took the Caicos Dream tour half day snorkel trip, which we booked from the concierge hut right near Hemingway’s. Worth every penny of the $89 per person charge!! The crew, Capt. Kwii, Licky and Tank, were EXCELLENT. Though it was a little choppy the day we went, they did so much to make the trip fun! Their congenial commentary had everyone laughing and the made-on-the-spot conch salad was very tasty. Shooting down the slide on the back of the boat while the front was parked right on the shore was so awesome! (That’s how fast the beach drops off into deep water.) Walking around iguana island, we spotted 5 iguanas who did not mind having their pictures taken at all.

Now the caveats - bring plenty of one dollar bills. We wanted to tip one person for $3, but we only had a $5 bill and he 'conveniently' had no ones to give us in change. Really??

It cost us $14/person each way to get from the airport to the resort.

Sorry to do this, but Arlean at Danny Bouy's was the worst waitress we have ever had anywhere. Ever. (My husband and I are both in the food business, so we know what’s good and what’s not in the way of restaurant service.) Arlean, if you read this, please find another line of work. You will be much happier and your guests will be too.

Be prepared for everything to cost more than you think, as there is a government tax that adds an extra 11% to your restaurant bill. We routinely spent $60 for breakfasts and at least $100 for dinners.

We didn’t rent a car - thought it would be much too confusing to learn how to drive on the left side of the road in a car with the steering wheel on the right in the short time we were there.

Forget about buying any souvenirs at the Sand Dollar, the gift shop at the Sands. $11 for a refrigerator magnet is just too much.
It’s an easy walk to the Graceway Gourmet grocery store; again, be prepared for sticker shock, but the fresh fruit and bagels we bought there were delicious.

I was disappointed that there isn’t more of a push for recycling on the island. (As at home, I’m thinking It’s probably a question of having enough government money devoted to this to make it happen effectively.)

And lastly, though there are clean up crews out and about daily, it’s a sad commentary on mankind when you see trash washing up on these beautiful beaches. Com’on people, take your trash, plastic forks and water bottles with you when you go. Let’s be better stewards of the Earth!!

I would recommend The Sands to anyone who’s looking for a relaxing Caribbean vacation. We racked up lots of happy memories and tons of colorful pictures that we will enjoy for a long, long time!

Room Tip: The second and third floor suites have a great view; first floor ones are fine if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
8  Thank Semi-Traveled
Reviewed 3 February 2015 via mobile

Stayed at the Sands at Grace Bay, great place nice people, clean, safe and a fair price for your stay. Great location on the beach. The staff will do its best to take care of every request you have. Nice pools, and on site restaurant Hemingway's is one of the best places to eat on the island! We will be back!!

Stayed: February 2015
Reviewed 3 February 2015

Clean and comfortable. Amazing view from building 3. Nice staff. Good food. Walking distance to shopping and dining. The beach is super nice and the water was the most beautiful I've ever seen. We booked through Jetsetter.com. It was a great price.

Room Tip: Request ocean view in building 3 or 4, level 2 or higher
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank kinkytop
Reviewed 2 February 2015

My wife's mother died 2 days before our trip. I called to cancel and request a refund on our deposit. I was told that no refund for our deposit would be granted, but that we could reschedule for another stay within the next 6 months (but that we had to reschedule before our check-in date). Needless to say, my wife was in no shape to reschedule a vacation a day after her mother died.

Absolutely unbelievably bad customer service! Even the airline refunded our money based on their bereavement policy. THE AIRLINE! But not the Sands at Grace Bay - oh no, not the precious Sands at Grace Bay. "Your mother died? TOO BAD! Thanks for the thousands of dollars you saved for months and months to come enjoy our hotel. Enjoy the funeral instead."

And then, to top it off, I get an email from them thanking me for my stay at their hotel and asking me to review them on TripAdvisor. Talk about out of touch with their customers - just horrible. So, Sands, here's my review per your emailed request.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family