“Terrible is too nice of a rating!”
Review of Frontier Airlines

Reviewed 12 December 2017

I was traveling to Phoenix, AZ, the place of my birth for my Uncle's funeral. It was a quick flight leaving Friday and returning Sunday. Well unfortunately the short layover in San Antonio was met with snow. I have never in my life seen so much disorganization from an airport and airline! I understand that the weather threw things off a bit but 1. We were allowed to board the plane again even though the pilot knew that we couldn't take off. There were two planes blocking ours in and one was stalled! They couldn't get it towed out of the way. 2. After being on the plane waiting for an hour the pilot told us that they ran out of fluid to de-ice the wings of the plane so it was cancelled. They told us we would all get $100 but that was just towards another flight and would not cover hotel, transportation, or food. 3. The plane was supposed to leave the next morning at 11am. I was still optimistic because I thought, even though I would be late to the funeral, that at least I would be able to pay my respects and see family that I hadn't seen in over 10 years. I get the the airport in time and it is bright and sunny in San Antonio. The plane was still grounded due to ice on the wings! No one had anticipated that ice would be there, and no one thought to get there early and check the plane. At one point we were told that they were going to manually climb on the plane and wipe it off, then changed their minds. After having us wait another hour at the gate, the plane was turned around to face the sun so that the ice could melt off! At around 12:30 we were finally able to take off. I was devastated to miss the funeral, not just because of the weather but due to the lack of reasoning and problem solving skills of the airline. Couldn't someone have thought to turn the plane at 7am or even 8am so that the flight could have left on time? I'm sorry but $100 towards another flight is just not enough. On top of that my baby carrier was "misplaced" and did not turn up in baggage claim. Representatives and managers have not been helpful at all. Needless to say the terrible rating is much deserved and I will never fly this airline again.

4  Thank monicamoniaz5
Write a ReviewReviews (7,818)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

We booked online at frontier website the night before flying out with no problems..was easy to navigate and purchase tickets. Printed off boarding pass as well as downloaded the app to have on mobile. No bags to check so was easy at the airport with pre check in done online as well. Going through security took a bit longer as there was only one agent checking passports. Boarding was on time, the plane was more spacious than I expected and the seats weren’t bad..spacious enough leg room, newer clean aircraft! A bit of a delay in take off but still arrived on time. The inflight specials on menu was a great value and our attendant was the best! Have not had that great of customer service in a while!! Landing was smooth as was the entire experience!! I was very pleasantly surprised about the whole thing based on all the negative reviews I’ve read..to each their own though..we all have to have our own experience I would highly recommend and will definitely use frontier again!! We had awesome service and an incredible fee for our flight!! Thanks frontier!!

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Low priced zero frills flights using A320's. I opted to pay extra for 'stretch' seating, free checked bag and one free carry-on. The term 'stretch' is a bit of a misnomer especially if you are 6 feet tall. Seating on this equipment is certainly not for long haul flying. My round trip departed and arrived on time. Gate and cabin crew were very proficient.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

There isn't one redeeming quality about this bottom of the barrel airline. Even sardines would die of claustrophobia in Frontier's cramped metal cans.

The seats are scary. No such thing as a normal seat in Frontier planes, and no business class. Seats are so slender, they can't accommodate people who weigh a few extra pounds. I didn't notice any obese passengers on our flights ... apparently they know better than to book Frontier.

Seats have zero recline, and you can barely get from the aisle to a window seat because there's no room to squeeze through. Seat backs aren't padded so, in an emergency landing, your head would smash into the hard plastic seat in front of you. Hubby's knees were jammed against the seat in front of him the entire flight to Milwaukee. The only option for more leg room is to pay $45 additional per person each way, to buy an emergency exit seat.

Tray tables are so small you can hardly find them, but no one buys refreshments anyway because you have to pay $3 for a glass of soda of a cup of coffee. No complimentary snacks or drinks with Cheapskate Air. There's no in-flight entertainment and no wi-fi. They don't even provide an airline magazine in the seat back, so DO bring something to occupy if you're foolish enough to book a Frontier flight.

The airport staff in both Orlando and Milwaukee are pathetic. When you check in online before your flight, Frontier advises that you arrive at the airport three hours ahead of departure. But they don't open the bag check counter until two hours before the flight. Apparently Frontier wants passengers to practice queuing for an hour before the counter opens. So you have 300 passengers waiting in line and a total of two staff members processing them all. Of course there's no priority check-in lane

The Milwaukee bag agent didn't want to reprint our boarding passes so our TSA Precheck status would show up, despite the process taking less than five seconds. The Milwaukee bag agent lied right to our faces when we asked about changing seats. She said the flight was full when, in reality, there were more than a dozen empty seats, and several rows with two empty seats together. She couldn't be bothered with our request

When checking in online, we reviewed the seating chart, searching for a comfortable option with no middle passenger in the row. Despite having already paid $26 per person for seats, Frontier wanted another $17 per person just to change to an identical seat farther back in the plane. This stinking airline rips you off at every turn. Fortunately the gentleman in the middle seat between us was kind enough to move to another row once we were airborne, so Hubby and I could both stretch sideways a bit.

Never have we seen such slow bag claim service upon arrival. And we've flown dozens of airlines worldwide. Baggage took a full 45 minutes after touchdown at Milwaukee to finally show up, despite our flight being the ONLY arriving flight at that time. Orlando baggage arrival was 35 minutes after touchdown. Other airlines we've flown have had our bags on the carousel before we even arrive in baggage claim. Frontier flunks in the baggage department.

Baggage prices are outrageous. There are no free carry-on bags. You pay $30 (one-way) for a checked bag and $35 for a carry-on bag if you pay in advance online. Backpacks are considered carry-on bags, according to the airline's website. If you don't pay for bags in advance, you'll pay $40 at the check-in counter instead of $30. And if you try to sneak a carry-on bag past check-in, you'll pay $60 to have it checked at the gate.

In flight customer service was despicable. After barking that all passengers should remain in their assigned seats and making one trip down the aisle with the beverage cart, half a dozen flight attendants congregated at the front of the plane, gossiping and blocking the restroom door. The restroom was completely out of paper towel, but no one bothered to check. Then they had the audacity to make an announcement at the end of the flight asking passengers to clean up their seating areas to save them some work before the next flight.

We used to fly 50,000 leisure miles annually, until two years ago when all the major airlines changed their mileage award programs. Now that they base miles credits on fare paid rather than miles flown, we drive everywhere rather than subject ourselves to the torture of flying. Had this not been a last minute booking with no time to drive, we'd never have flown this trash class airline. Our Frontier experience just reinforced our resolve to continue driving.

One tip for anyone flying in and out of Orlando ... thanks to Disney, nearly every flight is filled to the brim with delightful toddlers. Unfortunately, flying and toddlers don't mix well. Always carry good earplugs or headphones.

Frontier's tail fins should all have sardines painted on them - not wild animals. Never again.

2  Thank FancyFree55
Reviewed 11 December 2017

Where do I start. Add-ons quickly make ticket far more expensive than advertised. Inadequate number of baggage agents make checking bags a long/wait impossible. At gate they claim you must be there 10 minutes before take-off. Even you are, they often shut the jetway ahead of time, leave the gate un manned, and then claim passengers missed the flight. Even if your ticket says it is refundable, they refuse to refund it. Fly a reputable airline like Southwest.

1  Thank Donchris270