“How things have changed!”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed 12 November 2019

it was many years since I'd flown across the Atlantic so for me things had improved enormously. I score it well because: my luggage didn't get lost, the flights out and back were on time, the food was lovely, there was a huge choice of movies to watch plus games and other things on the individual tablets, and the crew were really polite, smartly dressed and helpful. The check-in was so much easier done on-line 24 hrs before the flight but inevitably the security queues were extremely long at both at Heathrow going out and Atlanta coming back.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank glbennett
Write a reviewReviews (15,289)

Reviewed 12 November 2019 via mobile

We flew with Virgin previously this was however the first time as a family.

The app is excellent I would recommend downloading it as it keeps you informed of your current flight - any changes and you can book your extras.

I liked being able to book my seats in advance - there’s was 5 of us travelling as it wasn’t my mother in laws birthday on the way out we booked the bubble on the plane it cost £175 in total but was worth it - our two year old loved the window seat and our 8 year old thought it was great going up the stairs to his seat.
Upon boarding at Gatwick the second the gate opened everyone could start boarding there as no waiting around - staff were friendly and well presented - they allowed our 2 year old to stay in his pushchair upto the door of the plane which was good I know this is a feature of other airlines anyway.
Once on board our children were given activity packs - you had headsets, pillows and blankets - we was well looked after through out the flight with regular snacks and drinks - food going out wasn’t brilliant - children’s food lacked choice however we really enjoyed the Mile High Tea.

Even though it was economy there wasn’t plenty of room my husband is over 6feet tall and he has plenty of leg room we sat in rows 79JK and row 80HJK

Plenty of entertainment loads of films to choose from and i loves the fact they has a separate children’s sections with their own films And games so you can be assured they won’t watch something they shouldn’t, there as a choice of films a well as TV series and music for the adults.

SADLY the flight home from Orlando international was the same experience - we had a night flight on the 8th November VS28 - at 8.30pm -
We got to the gate and they called forward people with pushchairs we thought great they are going to let us board - wrong... it was just to put a label on the pushchair we was asked to sit back down, then the proceeded to open the gate - people with pushchairs stood up and people who required assistance got ready - however they only loaded assistance first - the people with young children and pushchairs were left to the sides again, assuming it was to allow time for the assistance passengers to get on we sat back down to wait to be called.
We sat and we sat next thing I knew they called Upper Class passengers! Followed by premium and so forth - then to my dismay it was done by row numbers!! There was a lot of parents all looking at one and another I did talk about my dismay to other travelers having been someone who has been flying with young children for 6 years flown with British Airways, TUI, And Thomas Cook I was left in utter shock that all Virgin Cared for was Class - travelling with young children can be stressful and being able to board prior to other passengers allows time
To get children settled which all other airlines recognise unlike Virgin.
I think due to me being vocal I did have a more senior looking lady come upto me and ask if we was waiting to board this flight then we was some how called by surname
- this case though after the plane was fully loaded!

That was my only grumble really apart from the breakfast, we got to our seats 27 AB and 28 ABC This was a lovely location as a nervous flyer I couldn’t really see other passengers we had the food kitchen next to us - plenty of toilet facility’s we choose not to upgrade our seats on the way home as we would all be sleeping.
Meal going out was lovely every hot meal was pipping hot, however the breakfast left a bitter taste - it was a chocolate pastry, a yogurt and a pot of melon! Never in all my years of trailing on a plane have I ever been served this as a breakfast!
Again though plenty of entertainment- sadly no children’s activity packs were given, staff friendly as well.

I don’t know if virgin read these comments but I would like to say thank you to the two pilots on the night flight they were excellent - as a nervous flyer I didn’t need know we had taken off, that we was gaining hight, they kept us informed of any turbulence got us home in 6hrs and didn’t need even feel like we was coming down and the landing was excellent.

Overall I would travel with Virgin again we are Virgin Fly Club Members - And we will be rebooking directly again for Disney in 2021 - just certain things not quite as expected considering other airlines do it so assumed Virgin wouldn’t be any different.

4  Thank SarahJayne2019
Reviewed 12 November 2019

Small lounge at McCarran Airport. Staffed by very good staff. Boarding was less chaotic than Heathrow. Flight departed on time. Food and service on board was very good. Still don’t like the seating configuration in upper class. This is a shame as I think the service is better than that in BA first. But until they rethink it, I won’t fly virgin again. Flight home was fast and the flight map showed we hit a ground speed of 701 mph at one point. But as usual we were stacked on approach to Heathrow. However still landed slightly ahead of schedule. Love the 787 Dreamliner but please virgin, reconfigure your seating upfront.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
3  Thank daveinkent44
Reviewed 11 November 2019

We had a difficult time settling in what seemed to be shorter than average length seats. Movie selection is appalling and poor and food is blah...will not fly again with VA.

Date of travel: November 2019
3  Thank Novadz
Reviewed 11 November 2019 via mobile

I was very excited to fly the dreamliner. Virgins plane was super quiet and air was clean. However, I will never fly economy exit row again. The 787 configuration is the worst. All economy bathrooms are at the middle of plane right next to my seat exit row. So for the entire flights 10hrs, people were waiting in line to go to the bathroom. To make matters worst one of the bathrooms was out of service so the congestion was even greater than normal. The seats are this thinly padded, pitch is good, but you have to move forward everytime there is food service even when I was sleeping. I'm not sure why Virgin and British have mediocre service. Delta which also is a partner with Virgin is way better.i tried to get premium but it was sold out. If I have to fly Virgin it will be premium economy.

Date of travel: September 2019
6  Thank ThePlumber2009
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.