“Two good flights...very polite too ”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 26 January 2020 via mobile

Flew this morning from Austin to Houston then Houston to Nashville. Both flights on time. Both full. Both completely without drama. People and staff very polite, boarding in the correct groups and no dramas over who gets what space in the overhead lockers. Amazing...

2  Thank chrisrL930ID
Write a reviewReviews (52,194)

United Airlines Flight 365
SFO-PHL
8:58 am-5:17 pm
Boeing 737-900

My wife and I fly between Philadelphia and San Francisco at least somewhat regularly, and we typically choose United over American for a nonstop flight, since every flight we’ve taken on United on this route has been pleasant, and we cannot say the same for American. On this trip, we had another good flight on United getting to San Francisco, but I was very disappointed with this return flight back to Philadelphia, which may make us less likely to choose United next time.

When we arrived at SFO in the morning, we had two bags to check. Since United has a large hub operation at SFO, it was busy, but well organized, with clear signage for how to use the banks of check-in kiosks to print your own baggage tags and then go to a separate area to drop the bags off once they were tagged. We didn’t have to wait at all to get a kiosk and were on our way quickly.

I was a little surprised that the TSA checkpoint near the F gates at SFO didn’t have a dedicated TSA Precheck lane. Although we were able to bypass much of the long line for purposes of getting our IDs and boarding passes checked because we had Precheck, we were then mixed with everyone else for screening, and given a pass to let the staff members know we didn’t have to take off our shoes or remove electronics or liquids from our bags. This system created a bit of confusion when you got to the belt to put everything through, and it delayed things much more than usual, since we had to wait behind people who were much slower in getting prepared for standard screening.

We had a couple of United Club passes from a United credit card that were going to be expiring soon, so we stopped at the United Club by the F gates. The Club was large and airy, with a relatively bland and somewhat dated décor, but it was a pleasant and quiet place to spend some time before our flight. The breakfast offerings were very similar to what we’ve seen in other United Clubs before: very carb-heavy, with unremarkable mini-bagels and muffins, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and fruit comprising most of it.

Our flight boarded quickly, and we left the gate about five minutes early. We were in Economy Plus seats in the exit row, which have the best legroom of any row on the aircraft. These Economy Plus seats were also a great deal, since we had received a special offer when we booked our tickets, allowing us to choose any Economy Plus seat on the plane for $22 each, which is a really great deal for a transcontinental flight.

However, the first negative thing I noticed on our flight was how dirty the area around my seat was. For one, the seatback pocket was filled with an abnormally large amount of dirt and crumbs, and there was trash left in there from a previous passenger. There was also a wad of dirty, used napkins sticking out from the pocket at the top of the seat that contains the United magazine and safety card. Finally, sticky fingerprints that looked like they were from the caramel of a stroopwafel were on the back of the seat in front of me. I was pretty shocked at the poor condition of the seat area, since it wasn’t something I’ve experienced before on United. It seemed like absolutely no effort had been made to prepare the cabin before our flight, even though I noted in the United app that the incoming flight had arrived over three hours prior to our flight, giving plenty of time to clean the aircraft.

The service from the flight attendants was fine, but not particularly great. All but one of the flight attendants were pleasant, but I typically find that one bad flight attendant can ruin the entire vibe. The one flight attendant who wasn’t good was simply not friendly and had a habit of banging into passengers sitting on the aisle anytime she walked by, not even just when she had a beverage cart with her. This was unusual, and really odd that she never even bothered to apologize after slamming into my wife’s (and other passengers’) sides.

Early in the flight, we were offered beverages and a snack (choice of stroopwafels, pretzels, or Biscoff cookies) or the option to purchase larger food items. The flight attendants came around at least one or two other times offering water, before a second full beverage service was completed close to the end of the flight. I think this was a generous amount of service for a flight that was about 4.5 hours in the air.

There were power outlets between every two seats, and wifi was available, which I only used to check flight status on the United app. A selection of movies and tv shows are available in the United app to stream on the wifi for free, but we didn’t use them.

In addition to the dirty seat area and mixed service, there was one aspect of aircraft maintenance that was bad. There were two lavatories in the back of the economy cabin, and my wife reported that the one bathroom used had a broken sink, so the entire sink was covered in cellophane to prevent passengers from using it, with a bottle of hand sanitizer left there instead. However, the hand sanitizer they offered was so sticky and cheap that she had to then wait for the other bathroom to open up to be able properly wash her hands. In my opinion, United should not even allow passengers to use a lavatory that isn’t fully functional, and if the aircraft can’t fly without it, they should complete necessary maintenance before sending the plane on a transcontinental flight.

We ultimately arrived at our gate in Philadelphia almost 30 minutes before our scheduled arrival time, which was surprisingly early, especially at a busy time of day at PHL. We were also pleasantly surprised that luggage came out almost immediately once we made it to baggage claim, which was quite surprising based on our usual experiences at PHL. The only problem was that my wife’s hard-shell luggage came out with a huge dent in one of the corners that had not been there before our flight. The luggage had clearly been manhandled at some point that day. We didn’t bother to file a claim for the damage with United, since our luggage manufacturer has a great warranty and was willing to replace it for free.

Overall, our flight from San Francisco to Philadelphia was ok and arrived quite early, which is the most important part. However, I’ve grown accustomed to better service and planes in much better condition on past United flights. I was disappointed that this flight featured a rude flight attendant, a very dirty seat area, and a broken lavatory that shouldn’t have been in service. These are all things I was surprised to find on United after a string of very good flights, so I’ll be more willing to also consider American on this route in the future.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed 26 January 2020

This was a pleasurable long flight. The staff were excellent at the gate and in the cabin. The legroom was adequate and the seat comfort was very good. I am biased towards Boeing aircraft and this 767 did not disappoint.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 26 January 2020

First class is horrible. Movies are not on demand so you cannot pause them and they just start like cable tv in the 90s. Food is blah. Miss the hot towels. Seats just ok. Very expensive for what you get

2  Thank McDaniel1969
Reviewed 26 January 2020

We were flying from India to Phoenix, and our last leg (Chicago to Phoenix) was contracted through United, but ended up being cancelled. We called United several times, and each time they told us that we would receive a hotel voucher if they left us stranded in the airport overnight. When we finally did get into Chicago and spoke to the appropriate desk, they were so rude. They laughed and told us they would not be giving us a hotel voucher as the cancellation was due to weather. When we explained that customer service had told us multiple times that they would, they responded that they had no idea who we spoke to, and we were out of luck.
Additionally, they would not let us check in online before our rescheduled flight, so in order for my husband and I to be able to sit together and be allowed hand baggage, we had to pay $150 for "upgraded" seats. We would not have needed to do this before our flight was switched. Needless to say, we will be going out of our way to avoid United in the future.

2  Thank ANP480
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.