“Uncomfortable”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 23 October 2019

Flew from Manchester to New York flight good adequate leg room. Then flew new York to Washington flight good. Last flight Dulles to Dublin smaller plane leg room minimal. Throughout all flights flight attendants helpful and friendly. Security staff at Dulles airport not very helpful. I am slightly disabled and walk with a stick. I was asked to remove my trainers. When I asked was there a chair I was told no. There was a chair the other side of X-ray machine. A friend needed to untie laces because stick had already gone through. No consistency people on other belts let through with shoes on.

1  Thank christineB6723DO
Write a reviewReviews (50,727)

Reviewed 23 October 2019

This flight was a good experience.
I arrived at the airport early and decided to check if there was room on an earlier flight. The agent checked, but didnt find any. As I was going through security, the agent from the check in counter found me and told me I was moved up to the earlier flight. Finding me was easy in this small airport.
I arrived at the gate and found that the plane was larger than expected, which made carrying bags on much easier.
The flight departed on time and was a very pleasant experience.

1  Thank Marty S
Reviewed 23 October 2019

We flew on United from Boise to Boston. The crew and attendants were efficient and friendly. We were delayed leaving Chicago because of bad weather in Boston, but that is not the airline's fault. Flying is not like it used to be on any airline, so the seats were small, the food service was a snack and beverage. They have added a strupfwaffel to their choices. We had a late boarding group so they checked my carry on, on the way back for free. Suitcases currently cost $30 each way. On the return flight we were delayed by our plane not getting into Denver and had to wait more than an hour extra for our connection.I do like having a seat assignment.

1  Thank 825Sandy
Reviewed 23 October 2019

Overall a stress free journey, two points, one being minor:
1. Unable to check in online via the app or with the automated service at the airport due to being Canadian PR instead of Citizen, had to seek assistance from a staff member who helped out.
2. Hot water was tepid and no milk on the flight to be offered with a cup of tea, only creamer which is abhorrent.

Reviewed 23 October 2019

Recently, my wife and I had a very poor experience while departing Hilton Head. I had purchased two First-Class round-trip tickets from IAD to HHH. On this clear morning on May 20, 2019, on our return flight, our aircraft (UA 6129) was schedule to depart HHH at 9:30AM on flight First Class direct to Washington Dulles arriving at 11:09AM. At 7:01AM, we received notice that UA 6139 was delayed and would depart HHH around 10:22AM and arriving at IAD at 12:01PM.

I checked via the UAL mobile application on my iPhone at our hotel just after reviewing that notice. We then departed to the airport to ensure that my wife and I arrived at least an hour prior to new boarding time so that we could check our two bags and my golf bag. I had checked the UAL policy beforehand and was aware that we need to be at the airport at least 45 minutes before departure.

When we arrived, I observed outraged families speaking with a Mesa supervisor who had denied their boarding. This was the same flight as my wife and I were on. We entered the Premier line (which did not seem to make any difference to Mesa as everyone was using it so there was a wait time) and the same supervisor (Christine) told us we were not allowed to check our bags because we did not meet the minimum of one and a half hour arrival prior to the flight’s departure. I attempted to have a discussion with the Supervisor and she would have nothing to do with engaging and simply walk away. As one might imagine, I was flabbergasted and many other passengers were extremely frustrated.

I mentioned to a Customer Service Agent (CSR) that my wife and I has already checked in and had our boarding passes. At that point, for some reason, the CSR told my wife that she would be allowed to board but refused to process our bags because of the direction she had received from Christine. A nearby Mesa Team Lead then instructed the CSR to book me on a later flight and let me take all the bags and allow my wife to depart now on the schedule flight with no bags. As that seemed like the only solution at this point, since they told us that they couldn’t get both of us on the afternoon flight, I agreed and was booked without my wife who now boarded with a vacant seat next to her. As I now had my wife’s suitcase in my possession, I was charged for the “extra” bag. So, for $150, I was able to bring my extra bag with me. I asked about running the bags through the TSA baggage screening, and was informed by the Mesa lead (it was marked on the back of her safety vest), that they would not accept that bags until at least four hours prior the flight. Wonderful. So, I look my bags and sat in the airport for another 30 minutes and then passed the bags through the TSA baggage screening.

I would request corrective action be taken with your regional carrier, Mesa Airlines (d.b.a United Express) operating out of Hilton Head Airport. Specifically, I request retraining the Supervisor and Team Lead on the proper passenger handling procedures when checking them in and getting them onboard the aircraft. Currently, my observation was the supervisor at that location, who operates a what appeared to be a very well running team on the ramp, applies the same methodologies to handling passengers, more like cargo

As a side note, while I was sitting waiting past the TSA Checkpoint, a frantic mother who was attempting to get on a flight was boarding caught my attention because of the elevated level of noise. She appeared to be the last person to board a waiting flight. The same Mesa supervisor had just closed the door to the ramp. The door to the aircraft had not closed yet. What caught my attention was this woman screaming that it was not her fault that she was late to the gate and her family was onboard with her items and everyone vacation would be ruined. The woman departed the gate area only to return that the Mesa same supervisor then let her board the aircraft. It would have seemed much easier to let her board the first time, in my humble opinion, and not have every passenger witness that exchange.

Date of travel: April 2019
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.