“From First to Worst”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 23 February 2018

United ruined Continental and now operates in United's Unfriendly skies mode. This particular flight with a Newark-based crew of former Continental veterans was uneventful. My only criticisms are:
(1) There was no WiFi on this aircraft. That means only DirecTV was available for entertainment and there was no indication that it was free for those of us in the first class cabin. Not even a sign or label. No mention of it in Hemispheres. No mention of it during pre-flight announcements. (2) As usual, we waited quite a while at EWR Carousel 7 for our luggage and, as usual, the Priority luggage did not come out first. That is a contract between United and its Premier Access and First Class passengers and United breaches it about 50% of the time.

When I book a United flight I choose flights with Boeing aircraft rather than Airbus aircraft because I'm pretty much assured a Continental crew if the aircraft is Boeing. Even after new contracts and more assimilation, there still is a difference in passenger treatment and overall service between United crews and Continental crews.

2  Thank exmayor1
Write a ReviewReviews (33,710)

Reviewed 23 February 2018

I was returning to Louisville, Kentucky from the Newark, New Jersey airport. United kept changing our gate but it was right next to the original gate, so it was no big deal. The flight was delayed a little bit, but that didn’t bother me either, because it was a direct flight and I was going home. However, when it was time to board the plane, the woman taking my boarding pass was a little rude. I had a c-pap machine and my purse. She said I could only have one carry on item. I explained that the c-pap is medically necessary and I was not going to check it. This machine was $2600.00 and is a computer. I was specifically told to NEVER check the machine. She reluctantly let me board the plane. What woman doesn’t carry a purse???? My friend and I had booked our seats ahead of time to sit together, but for some reason our seat assignments were changed and we were not seated together. Once again, not a big deal since it was a 2 hour flight. We had a fairly long wait on the runway, probably about 30 minutes, but I fell asleep so, no big deal. The flight was fine but you could not understand one word the Captain said over the speaker. He spoke very low and sounded like he had marbles in his mouth. My luggage and I arrived home safely which is the main point.

Reviewed 23 February 2018

The flight going in to Newark was pretty bumpy. there was snacks on this flight.
We flew out on ua90 and had two meals on the trip. They were typical airline food.
It was one of the quickest trips we have ever made, with layovers, about 20 hours going, and 24 hours coming back. The flight for the most part was pretty good, its just hard setting that long. The pilots did a great job and the stewardesses did well.

Reviewed 23 February 2018

Our plane was delayed (by bad weather) and we sat on the tarmac for nearly four hours. After a while, they started to offer us opportunities to get off the plane, but the offer was always presented as something that it was impossible to do because you would have to take all your stuff with you and they would probably leave without you if you got off. They clearly conveyed this message every time they made the offer. After a while they gave us one small glass off water. A long time later, they gave us 2 small cookies (European coffee cookies). Even later, another small glass of water. Eventually we took off. The service was downright rude. When I asked for tea, and said yes to plain tea, the flight attendant got aggressive when I then asked for milk in my tea. "You said plain tea!". Well yes, in response to his question, I had agreed to plain tea. I thought it was a choice between black (plain) tea and herbal teas, not a commitment about how I took my tea. Hours into the long-delayed flight I was ravenous. No food could be given to me. They had simply not allowed for the fact that people spent 50% more time on the plane than planned. When I said I could survive with a couple more cookies, I was again aggressively told that this was not possible. While they did have those cookies, they were further down the plane and sealed up and could only be given to people who were hungry from delay while we were on the ground. Unable to see the irrationality of this, the attendant then condescendingly said: "Let me explain our isms to you." Isms! I told him not to even think about talking to me about isms - particularly not when I was hungry. The final straw was their refusal to allow me to recycle my blue plastic cup for a second water. The couldn't understand why I would care. They specifically said they didn't care about wasting plastic and that is what they are required to do. The United materials say they recycle their food service materials but the attendants insisted they just get burned. Really, what is wrong with these people?

2  Thank AnonEMuis
Reviewed 23 February 2018

The flight was delayed leaving some of it was weather related in Newark but not too much accurate information was available as to when the flight would leave. When we arrived in Newark there was a long delay on the tarmac with no information from the cockpit as to what the problem was.

1  Thank perakash