“Business Class! Was definitely not worth it”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Business class roundtrip from new york to London! United Business Polaris is not that great as advertised. The staff was decent and for some reason a bit rude. Didnt expect that coming in a business class. The food was ok! And seats are bit cramped up. Flight schedule was definitely comfortable and best thing was arrival lounge in Heathrow. Took a shower, got my clothes ironed and had a nice breakfast before heading out!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (32,535)

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Had a weekday project in Chicago, flying on United. I knew it would be a smaller plane, so for my carry-on I used a duffel bag rather than a rolling suitcase. That made boarding and seating easy for me.

On the way to Chicago I was on the aisle a row or two back from Economy Plus. The flight attendant joked about selling seats in a completely empty row for $20, then said someone could move if they wanted, which I did. That was a nice gesture. She was a fun attendant, joking with passengers and her colleagues throughout the flight.

Getting in and out of both OMA and ORD were smoothly done. Flying on these sorts of trips is just part of the day, I don't expect bells and whistles, just competence, and that's what United delivered on my way to an from Chicago.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

I couldn't decide which flight number to use, because I had been booked on three different United flights before I finally had to take a Delta flight to my destination. My flight was scheduled to leave at 10:25AM on February 9th. I was travelling from Detroit, MI to Washington, D.C. to catch an international flight to Panama City. When I arrived to the DTW airport, I was informed that my flight had been cancelled and I was immediately rebooked on a 3:00pm flight to Newark that would get me on a connecting flight to Dulles. I wasn't angry about this, the weather was horrible so it was inevitable that there would be some hiccup with the flight.

Fast forward to 3pm: the flight to Newark is delayed until 5:20pm, but the connecting flight I needed to catch out of Newark was now delayed as well. I board my flight around 4:45PM, they get us out to be de-iced, we queue for the runway-- and then we stop. The runway is down to one lane, the de-icing fluids are no longer working, we have to return to the gate. They take us back to our gate, the pilot tells us this flight will likely be cancelled, we should call United customer service to get rebooked. I do that while we are waiting to deplane. The representative I spoke to puts me on a 7:30PM flight to Dulles.

After we get off the plane, I go to a gate agent to ask about my luggage. Since the flight to Newark isn't leaving anymore, I needed the luggage removed from the plane to be pt on the flight I was scheduled to be on. The gate agent takes my bag tag and receipt and tells me to go on to my new gate-- she would call someone to make sure my luggage was rerouted.

Fast forward again: my flight to Dulles is cancelled. All of the flight boards in the airport say the flight to Newark was also cancelled. I go back to the gate agent to be rebooked again. They put me on a 7:30PM flight to Dulles, which will arrive 5 hours /after/ my international flight to Panama City. Oh, and my luggage somehow ended up in Newark, NJ-- even though I was told by 4 United Airlines representatives that the flight to Newark had been cancelled.

I had to call United customer service again to get my bags rerouted to Dulles, and ended up taking a flight with Delta to Reagan National the next day (and then had to mad-dash to Dulles on the Metro train like in an episode of "Get Smart"). I still made my connecting flight, my luggage (miraculously) ended up in Dulles before I did.

Overall, my trip was not ruined-- but United played no helpful role in ensuring that.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Sprucing up what in truth is a downgrade––by giving it an undeniably appealing name and image––Polaris is a disappointment. Flying from Newark to Shanghai and counting on 14 hours of solid, undisturbed work, I found myself on a 777 without wi-fi (not United's responsibility, apparently! the airline does not take responsibility for the service they have chosen to impose on their customers). The flight attendants were not particularly solicitous, even in business class, but that is the standard on any US-based airline, frankly.
Now, about the new configuration: what intercontinental business class has seats without direct access to the aisles anymore? the window seat was claustrophobic. Also, the refurbishment did not include the lavatories, which are as small and dingy and old as they have always been. The food was as mediocre and soggy as that found in prefab Economy Class trays––the omelette and potatoes limp and synthetic, the sauces on meats and fish gelatinous and sugary, the cheese just out of a supermarket plastic wrapping.
Given a choice, I would not give United my business again.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Good flight. we left on time and arrived on time. service was typical, staff were good, seats were small and tight ( but there are on all economy flight now). All in all good trip.