“Packed like Sardines”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 12 December 2017

I flew economy to visit my sister in Kona, HI. We were packed in the plane like sardines.I flew from El Paso, TX, to Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, to San Francisco, CA to Kona, HI. On every leg of the journey the seating was all the same, as soon as the flight attendants allowed the passengers to lean the chair back I was trapped. I am a 6'1" female and had absolutely NO leg room. I have heard that new planes the airlines are having built are going to have 2" less leg room. I am not sure who the airlines are catering to, their is no such thing as comfort when flying. I used to be able to request a bulkhead or exit row that had extra leg room. Now that is another area the airlines looks at to add "additional fees". There is no such thing as customer comfort unless you are willing to pay additional fees for any little convenience or comfort. My husband had accumulated over a million miles on United in business travels and he now wants to make more road trips because he is tired of being cramped. I was disappointed on how little United did to prepare us for a trip to "Paradise". The only way we knew we were approaching the Islands is when the flight attendants passed out the Agricultural forms we were all required to fill out. When we flew to Hawaii in 1985 & 1991 we KNEW we were heading to the Islands. The attendants had floral uniforms on, we were greeted with a friendly "Aloha" ~ all that has disappeared. I was very disappointed.

2  Thank Rose H
Write a ReviewReviews (21,748)

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Had a great flight from boi to ord on Skywest. Crew did a great job despite strong winds and thunderstorms.

1  Thank winfred c v
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

The economy plus seats felt no different than the regular economy seats. If there was an extra 1/2 inch of pitch, who knows. We were still crammed in 3-4-3. It was a scam.

We had a ton of turbulence over Western Europe. A flight attendant said to someone over the loudspeaker, “get in your seat! This is severe turbulence and you need to get buckled and hold on! Hold on!!” I was offended. I dislike turbulence and find it scary, but I know enough to know this flight attendant was being ridiculous. Luckily, the captain came on and talked about the strong plane, that all was safe, and that they were looking for a better altitude. (Shortly after that, the sign came off after the pilot descended to 28k.)

The same flight attendant blamed Tel Aviv staff for confiscating our brand-new waters at the gate, purchased after security. “Who knows what they do here? I have to fly here five times a month.” Israel has good security so wouldn’t do something that stupid. I wanted to know why it was a united policy or a new USA policy, to keep us from having water we had just bought. The Israeli kid at the gate had no idea, but said he was taking them because of a USA/United policy.

Another FA was nasty when I asked if I could take a water. I was blocked from going back to my seat from the lav due to their service. She said no, they were coming around. I said you’ve already been to my row. She said, “fine” in a very unfriendly voice. They were down two flight attendants for some reason, and definitely were not happy to be there on that flight.

This seat was really uncomfortable for 12 hours. I gave two stars because it felt safe—the pilots flew around the jet stream with skill, taking us on a northern route so the flight itself was less bumpy than it could have been.

1  Thank Nicole G
Reviewed 12 December 2017

I love united. The seats are very comfortable and the entertainment is great. They served me ice cream and the flight attendants were very helpful and nice.

1  Thank Henry R
Reviewed 12 December 2017

Started with 1 hour and 45 min lmflight delay out o santa ana. The crew was unbelievably rude. Poor elderly folks trying to catch their connecting flights were trying to figure out what they should do and the advise is this,"if it were me, i would get off the plane and find another day to fly" or it was a short and impatient tone. The same crew responded to me in the same way when i asked if they could let the gate of the connecting flight know that i would be running almost a half a mile accross the airport to reach my connection. after running accross the airport and reaching my connecting gate, the guy manning the stand said I'm sorry they pulled the bridge back already...the plane had not even left yet.
This was the last flight out for the night which led to me missing an event my company paid thousands of dollars to be at.
The next day, the app made me walk a mile out of the way to the wrong terminal. I dinally got on the plane and guess what...the plane happens to be the smallest plane available. To give you perspective, i am 6'7m the height of the roof of the plane was about 5'8. To top it all off, my flight was 30 min delayed on my final departure.
I will never again fly with this airline and will recommend my company to move our parnership.