“Impressed!”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First time on United, was quite impressed with the service - the boarding, as is common across the states, is so laborious - first class, then disabled, then parents with kids, then those special credit cards, those with some 'gold account' then eventually the regular economy folk. It's all a bit silly and takes ages. That being said, they tend to board nearly and hour before departure.

The flight itself was comfortable and efficient and the crew were polite and friendly. They also offer in flight complimentary soft drinks and a snack.

On time as well.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (19,565)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have traveled with United for years because my mother insists upon the airline, however, she is a premium member. I am not. I have had two delays on oversea flights that equated to roughly 48 hours. One of which resulted in me sleeping in an airport because, although the flight crew had expired, the cause for the flight cancellation was deemed "due to weather". Then I saw the video of the man dragged off the airline, I thought I promised myself at that time that I would never fly on this airline again, but the true last straw came from my experience yesterday. Of course the flight was over booked, typical United, so I volunteered my seat because I knew I could make my connecting flight if I left on the later flight that I would have been put on. I wasn't needed as a volunteer so we all boarded the plane, sat there for about an hour, then were told to de-plane and wait for more info in the next 1.5 hrs. I had experienced this before with United where volunteers are asked for, then no volunteers are needed and the plane never takes off.....do they know before-hand whether or not the plane will depart? Not sure, I won't make any assumptions, but it is sketchy non the less. Anyway, the flight was then delayed for 6 hrs......SIX. HOURS. So I finally decided to call the 800 number to change my flight in an attempt to make it to see my family, whom I haven't seen in 5 years. The closest arrival time would have been 3:50 p.m., thanksgiving day....17 hrs. after I would have been there originally. The worst part, had they needed any volunteers to go on the next flight, I would have a $300 voucher and be with my family right now. Waking up to their smiling faces, visiting my grandpa who has been in bad health. Instead I am up in the wee hours of the morning feeling disappointed and taken advantage of. Had I not gotten a full refund for my flight, I would have not been surprised, but would certainly be even more disappointed than I am now. Goodbye United Airlines, for real this time. I would rather pay double the price for a flight somewhere with any other airline to avoid this level of frustration.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked on Air Canada on points and were put on United as a code share, we would have much preferred Air New Zealand, one of our favourites. We "upgraded" to Economy Plus, our mistake, we thought that was Premium Economy, United does not offer that. No matter what question you asked any flight attendant the answer was "I don't know" Had no idea the entertainment system did not offer music (what airline does not have music?), had no idea what the meals were.Halfway through the fifteen hour flight I ent back to order a drink and a snack as it was suggested we do. I asked for a cheese and fruit plate, again "I don't know if we offer that" Are you kidding? Its in your menu! After a discussion between Flight Attendants and a search of two galleys the cheese tray was found.By the way, the dinner was disgusting, even by airplane food standards. Could not even tell what we were eating. LA to Melbourne why are they serving Grits and Collared greens?? Had to read the label to see what I was eating. We fly a lot and love it. We returned in first on the way home, much better, but still not the friendly flight attendants we are used to having. Next time to Australia we will either avoid flying through LA or insist on a good Airline lIke Air New Zealand. Since our return I have learned that Air Canada now flies to Melbourne, started just after we go home, darn.This is the condensed version of our flight, there was more.

1  Thank Jfortney
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We traveled in 3 planes to get from Basel to Frankfurt to Dulles to Philly. I had called a day or so before to arrange for wheelchairs for my mother at check in in Basel and between Flights in Frankfurt and Dulles and to luggage in Philly. Check in went well but we had to walk a ways to the wheelchair waiting area.They came pretty quickly and took us miles and miles and up and down to our gate on the ground. Mom had to climb steps to the plane and they were very kind and let her go first for extra time. When we landed she was told to get off last so everyone was on the transport bus waiting for us to tootle over. They were not happy. When got to main airport there was a sweet person with a wheelchair for mom and thank goodness as we had to collect our luggage in Frankfort take it down the hall and put it on another belt and then we had to go through Security check again ( and they had just given us a nice bottle of water on the plane). From security through passport check then to the gate. Here a very mean lady took our tickets and passports and wipe them with their special swabs and then grilled us with questions. We expected this at passport check not gate check and she was MEAN. My mother thank goodness thought the lady was actually interested in making conversation. Then all of a sudden all the people at our gate got up and left. No announcement or it was in German. Then we realized there was a gate change and it was all the way to the end of the concourse. Mom and I started to walk to the gate and we saw a cart and hitched a ride with him. Anyway, plane seats smaller than Lufthansa plane on way over. Entertainment not as wide a variety. Leg room less and seat more uncomfortable. Food was close to inedible and we had two "meals". Our plane had a few empty seats and they made sure you stayed "in your class" if you moved. However, the attendants were very nice. Our last leg of the journey back in the USA was uneventful but again the plane was a commuter so small, tight seats and uncomfortable at 10 pm at night. So planes tight, food yuck, seat uncomfortable but staff nice.

1  Thank Charlestontourist58
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We opted to trade in some of our points for a complementary flight(s) from New Orleans to San Jose.

We flew first class to Denver and then transferred to a second plane for the continuation flight to San Jose.

The seats in first class are very comfortable. The amount of free channels on the TV are good. We opted to watch some football as we were traveling on a Sunday.

Drinks were offered prior to take-off.

We also enjoyed dinner. There was a tandori chicken option as well as an Asian noodle option. Both were good. Dessert was cheesecake.

On the 2nd flight we were offered dinner too - spinach pizza.

The flights were good. The flights over the mountain areas were a bit bumpy which is expected, but other than that smooth flying.

Both flights left on or a bit ahead of time and landed a few minutes early.

We were very happy with these flights.