“Delayed”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Late arrival of the plane inbound from San Francisco caused our flight to be delayed 1 hr 45 min, causing missed connection. United did move us to a later flight, after another 4 hour layover instead of a 90 minute layover. Air travel has lost its appeal but there are no other options. The plane held 52 passengers, United asked for 3 people to volunteer to go on another flight because the plane need more fuel so couldn't seat a full plane. Really, who makes a plane that can't fit people in the seats and a tank of gas. Flight was good once we did leave, attendant, only 1, was rookie and made several errors, nothing major, but not very good to have the passengers correcting her, could have used more trading or support, she said her first flight to Canada.

2  Thank Lyle K
Write a ReviewReviews (19,598)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

United boarded us on the plane knowing there were delayed flights of passengers from their first leg, they boarded us and made us sit 1 hr, then they noticed the light was out and maintenance took another hour to fix!

To top all this off I had paid for the United credit card and received two One pass for the United lounge. When arriving I found out my pass expired 2 weeks ago and they could not make an exception - what did I pay $99 for then!

3  Thank thebeachnomad
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On Thursday, Oct 19, flew UA2000 in Economy, from Phoenix (PHX) to Chicago (ORD), though we were scheduled to fly UA146 from Phoenix (PHX) to San Francisco (SFO), in First Class (Seats 5 E&F), to connect for our flight SFO to LHR, later that evening.

Just before we left the PHX UA Club, to make our way to T2 Gate 6B, we were notified that our flight to SFO had been cancelled, due to Air Traffic Control, and the smoke around SFO from the Napa/Sonoma fires! That meant that we could not make our SFO - LHR flight, later in the evening. United had re-booked us onto UA2000, getting us to ORD, just as our new LHR-bound flight, UA938, was boarding, but we could possibly make that ultra-tight connection.

We raced to the new gate (T2 Gate 3), and our new flight, with one UA agent, who escorted us onto the plane, just as the doors were about to shut, while another agent checked that our luggage had been re-tagged through to LHR on our new flights, and that all was in order. The Purser had found two spots in the overhead bins, for our two small briefcases, near the front of the plane. We made our way to our E seats, Row 26 B & E. Before takeoff, the Purser gave me the new baggage claim stubs, and verified that the luggage had made it onto the flight, with proper tags, and would arrive at LHR, on our ORD-LHR flight. Though things were going “wrong,” it was nice to have FF status, and to have the UA staff being pro-active. I guess that the 127 flights each, on UA last year, paid off?

We were on UA2000, on an Airbus A-320 (#2869), and off to ORD. This was the first time, that I can recall flying a UA A-320, in E, so I tried to take notice of the experience.

First, we had used our Regional Premier Upgrade Certificates, to upgrade the domestic legs of this trip (four total, plus two international legs), and got credit for the two, used for the PHX-SFO flight. With our status, we would have received E+, at the time of booking, but those two E seats were all that were left, as the flight was full. I only hope that some stand-by passengers were not “bumped” for us, but there was no time to inquire.

The flight was fine, and I only took advantage of some sparkling water (we had also had Champagne at the PHX UA Club), during the ~3 hrs we were airborne, especially as we were flying Polaris FC from ORD-LHR, which was done with our Global Premier Upgrade Certificates, and that translated to the newly re-booked ORD-LHR flight, as well. We knew that food, and wine would be flowing then, so just sat back, and exhaled. We had made the flight, and were booked to arrive in London, on the day we had planned on, so while not ideal, all bases were covered by UA.

Some observations on Row 26 B (middle):
The seats were the “slimline” units, with thin bottom and rear cushions, which were just “Average” for a medium-haul flight. The seat width was adequate, but the “shoulder room,” and armrests were very crowded, and I am not built like an NFL linebacker. Armrest space is very limited, and I was glad that the passenger in 26 C was petite. My wife was not so fortunate, across the aisle, but then she is also much, much smaller, than I am. She was “wedged” between two gentlemen, who WERE built like linebackers. The legroom was adequate, even when the person in 25 B reclined. The footwell space was also adequate. I ended up putting down my tray table, to have room for my elbows, and that was OK. I only used a few degrees of recline on my seat – just enough to get my head back a bit, incase I dozed. Not sure of the full recline, but do not think it was much, beyond what I experienced.

I believe that the ship had PDE (Personal Device Entertainment), but did not use it, as my iPad, and earbuds were in my briefcase, hastily stored in the front of the plane.

There was food available, via United’s “Bistro Onboard,” but I did not try any, though it would have been free of charge (like wine/beer), for our status, or about $8 (IIRC), to purchase. Again, we knew that we would soon be dining on our Trans-Atlantic flight, so just stayed with sparkling water.

Our Flight Attendants were very pleasant and efficient, and the meal/beverage services went well, as far as I could observe. I did accept a small bag of nuts, which were fine, albeit small.

The flight was smooth, and we actually landed a few minutes early, though there was quite a bit of taxi time, to get to our gate at ORD. So, we were a few moments late, arriving at the gate. Fortunately, our LHR flight was just across the concourse, and it was in mid-boarding, when we deplaned. Another rush, but we made it, as well.

In all, not bad, other than the rushing part, and loss of First Class seats for our first leg, and United Airlines, plus especially the PHX agents, and the Purser on this flight, went a very long way to make things up to us. No complaints from us, as we arrived safely, our luggage made the transfers to two different flights, and we made our now very tight connection at ORD. Seats were “basic E,” and I would not book those for a medium-haul flight, instead pledging miles, upgrade certificates, or even $ for FC, but then I have gotten old, and appreciate “the front of the plane.”

No photographs of the flight, as my camera was also in my briefcase.

1  Thank The_Loup_Garou
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

When making my travel reservation on United for a flight to Hawaii, I selected the Travel Options Bundle which includes Economy Plus seating plus a baggage "discount" because I planned to check two bags. The bundle description says: "Your United Travel Options purchase provides each traveler on the reservation with a waiver of the service charge for an extra checked bag." Upon completing my reservation, I was shown a cost breakout for my bundle charges showing a fee of $27 for "Extra Checked Bag." From the bundle description, I believed that I would pay the standard $25 for my first bag and get a free second bag. The standard charge for a second bag on United is $35 so I thought that the bundle would provide a cost savings of $8. At check-in, United waived the $25 fee for the first bag and charged me the standard $35 fee for my second bag. So the Travel Options Bundle actually cost me MORE in baggage fees than I would have paid without it (i.e. I paid $27 to save $25). United is a master of marketing trickery. Beware of what you're buying from them.

2  Thank JWS72
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My fight to Tokyo was delayed and I was going to miss my connecting flight to another city in Asia.

Monica Alvarado at the Premier check-in was so helpful in finding me the right back-up flight option, in case I missed the flight. She was by far the kindest and the most knowledgeable person I have encountered with the airline. (They were originally going to reroute me through 2 other cities, but still not making it there in time for my meetings.)

I am still hoping that I make the connection; but knowing that I now have a better option confirmed I can be a little more relaxed.