“a day of surprises”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I really thought I was flying my United Airlines flight from Oakland airport, but when we got there, I was surprised to find it wasn't there but San Francisco International! I felt really bad because I double checked my flight details but kind of overlooked the departure airport. Good thing the United guys from SFO Intl were very good, the rebooking was quick and most of all it's free! Will definitely fly United again, they have shown sensitivity to their passengers' needs and limitations. My trip to NYC is definitely more memorable because of my great United experience!

Write a ReviewReviews (30,082)

Reviewed 17 October 2017

All US airlines seem to be reasonably efficient yet unless you fly premium, it is pretty much a bus service so be prepared. Also, when connecting to internal US flights from international, I found rechecking your luggage at domestic check in to be safer than using international transfer facilities as bags don't tend to get lost as easily... although technology is catching up and reliability is slowly getting better.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

We experienced issues on this flight between Newark and Paris in Polaris (blending of First and Business Class). These started with chaos at the boarding gate because of a too-small area. It became almost impossible for passengers to find or to get into their correct boarding lines. This situation was exacerbated by passengers for another flight also boarding at the same gate.

On board the 767-400 plane, the Polaris cabin proved to be clean and well maintained. My husband and I occupied single seats in the row that runs down the center of the cabin. We prefer this section because it is extremely convenient to be able to exit and enter from either side and there is the illusion of more room. Polaris seats are narrow but comfortable and can provide various positions, including totally flat. This enabled me to sleep well on the flight, which was the highlight of our 6 1/2-hour journey.

Service lacked the expected quality. For example, my husband's location in the exact middle of the vertical row put him in no man's land. All service started concurrently at the front and back of the cabin with no one apparently willing to take regular responsibility for his seat. He had to ask for a warm towel, for a drink, for his meal and the list goes on. In general, the flight attendants in this cabin met the bare basic job requirements with no one making it a point to be helpful or to even appear dedicated to good customer service.

The amenity kit quality continues to fall. I especially miss the comfy slippers that used to be included. They have been replaced by horrible socks that give no support or protection when walking around the cabin. But on this flight, I learned from another passenger that slippers are still available if passengers ask for them. I then requested and received a pair. This policy seemed a strange way to deal with those who paid a premium price for flying in Polaris class.

The menu offered mostly spicy items, which I cannot tolerate, so I chose the bland fish, which arrived overcooked, dry and flavorless. The accompanying Japanese noodles came mostly uncooked, many in little circles of hard pasta waiting for some boiling water. Breakfast, which included a fresh fruit plate, was OK.

The flight itself went smoothly with little turbulence. We arrived about 30 minutes early, but there was no wait for a gate.

1  Thank Rumples
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Cabin crew are always helpful and willing to go the extra mile. My experiences with this airline have been so positive that it is now all I fly for the most part no matter if I am flying domestic within the US or internationally.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank GRO3
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Basically the service on transatlantic Polaris class is like short haul in Europe.
The food is below standard, served on the tray like economy only with a cloth napkin. The "in between" refreshments are insulting for a 14 hours flight with only 2 meals service.
The attending crew was artificially correct and detached. I felt like I need to be extra nice to them and not the other way around. The seats are good but no different to others and the complimentary bedding is given on request only.
To summarize: This is a low cost standard version of business class.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)