“Terrible food”
Review of Turkish Airlines

Reviewed 24 January 2021

Terrible food for transatlantic flights (same as for short ones): there are no hot drinks, cold sandwiches are awful. Not a friendly staff.

Date of travel: September 2020
2  Thank 728az
Write a reviewReviews (30,504)

Reviewed 23 January 2021

Bad customer service at check in. No "Fragile" stickers for bags. Put all bags together with my colleagues and calculated overweight. Very fast in collecting extra money but good luck if you have a claim regarding luggage loss or damage.

Date of travel: January 2021
1  Thank 530charbeln
Reviewed 23 January 2021

Bought a return ticket Kuala Lumpur-Paris via Istanbul in July 2020. Flight from KL-IST-Paris was fine. For the return trip Paris-IST-KL (20th Feb 2021), Turkish Airlines suddenly sent a cancellation notice in Nov 2020.
We then decided to stay back due to Covid and contacted Turkish Airlines on 9th Jan 2021, with intention to postpone our flight. When we got a reply back from Turkish Airlines, they had by then re-scheduled the flight instead of having cancelled earlier.
Anyhow, we still wrote in to postpone the flight. We provided the Booking Ref., which should already be sufficient for them to take action.
Then we received another reply demandng that we provide, Booking Ref, Names, Original Flight No, Flight Date, Flight Time, E-Ticket No, which we furnished. That was on 11th Jan 2021.
Till today, 23rd Jan 2021, we have still not received any reply nor instructions on how to proceed while the date of our flight is drawing closer.
I agree with some of the comments here that Turkish Airlines service is one of the worst I have come across and they are "robbing" customers by not replying which will cause you to forfeit your flight. Then it becomes your fault. Even worse, we bought an Economy Flexi which allows us at least 1 change for free. We had to pay more for it.
This is also not the first time TK has given us issues. They abandoned us while we were visiting Turkey at the height of the Covid 19 pandemic in March 2020. We called their office in Istanbul. Only to be told they cannot help us.
We have been duped twice TK, there will never be a third, I assure you. You will be our last choice even if you are the cheapest. TK still has a lot to learn about customer service.

Date of travel: July 2020
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Eddy K
Reviewed 21 January 2021

DO NOT BOOK FLIGHTS AT TURKISH AIRLINES. BEWARE OF THEM.

They deceive their customers by not informing them that their flights will be canceled for months. I have been waiting to fly home with Turkish Airlines for almost 6 months. I can not fly back to Sweden because every time I book my flight trip, Turkish Airlines cancels my trip at the last minute without giving a reason. Due to Turkish Airlines, I have been stuck abroad for 6 months. I have lost my job and have not seen my children for 6 months. My food money is gone.

I feel really bad mentally.
For 6 months, Turkish Airlines has promised me a flight back to my home country (Sweden) and let me down every time at the last minute. I am tired, exhausted, lost hope of meeting my children. I cry every day.

BE CAREFUL FROM TURKISH AIRLINES. DO NOT BOOK FLIGHTS WITH THEM. THEY ONLY THINK ABOUT MONEY AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF THEIR TRAVELERS.

Date of travel: July 2020
2  Thank 2021Mike
Reviewed 21 January 2021

Hey everyone, think twice before flying with Turkish Airlines again. 5 minutes read.

On 16/01/2021 I went to a ticket agency to book my flight from Istanbul to Bogota. There was a ticket stopping over Barcelona, Istanbul-Barcelona operated by Turkish Airlines and the rest operated by Avianca. Because I am holding a Turkish Passport I knew that flight might be risky due to immigration issues, European countries are very strict about it nowadays. So, before doing the purchase I got the print-out of the reservation and went to Turkish Airlines' staff to ask. They said, “Yes you can fly no worries”, instead saying we can’t answer this so sorry. Then I bought my ticket for $1.475(usd dollars) and did my check-in and came to the boarding gate. The staff who were checking the boarding passes and required documents said I can’t fly even though all my documents are approved by Colombian authorities which is my final stop. They said I have a low-profile. By the way, they were stressed and speaking bad about the foreigner customers loudly during the boarding taking advantage of they don’t know Turkish. Later, the same staff told me to go to Turkish Airlines' care centre to change my ticket with direct Istanbul-Bogota flight, planned departing 17 hours after, paying a little amount of penalty. I was stressed and upset and run to that centre to solve the issue. However, without any solution I was led to 4 another help centres hoping find some help, promised by company crew at the beginning. Finally, I found the ticket office of Turkish Airlines and they said, “Flight is operated by AVIANCA so we can’t do anything”. I said, “But your staff told me I could fly and again your staff told me that company would offer you a new ticket so I didn't call my ticket agency to cancel the flight before it takes off”. She said sorry and gave me a number to call and do complain. And on the phone I was told to fill their feedback form online. I did and waiting for reply. I mentioned how I was misled by their reckless and incompetent staff. In addition, I would have booked the direct İstanbul-Bogota flight at the beginning, if the staff didn’t tell me that I can fly without a problem over Barcelona.

Later on I spoke with different crew of the Turkish Airlines seeking for any help and clear explanation about what happened. !!!AND PLEASE READ AFTER THIS VERY CAREFULLY!!!, so you can understand how this terrible company with it’s all elements, is far away from being global and legit because they are highly RACIST. So, one of the staff tried to cheer me up, made everything worse by saying "you look blonde and nice, it is stupid that they didn’t let you in the plane". Also he added, "WE TRY TO AVOİD AND DISCROURAGE THE CUSTOMERS WHO WANT TO FLY TO EUROPE OR STOPPİNG OVER EUROPE, IF THEY ARE FROM EASTERN PART OF TURKEY cities like MUŞ, HAKKARİ, VAN etc. (where mostly poor and less educated population of Turkey reside at). He continued, “Our Company is under pressure of European Governments who doesn’t want any immigration problems at their airports”. I understand however it doesn’t justify the way how they LABEL and DISCRIMINATE people by looking at their SKIN COLOUR and PLACE OF BIRTH simply. Their minds are full of racist ideas unfortunately they couldn’t even apologize properly without being discriminative.

It was a horrible experience in general to witness all. Please, who cares about humanity and anti-racism, think twice before buying a ticket from Turkish Airlines. You may have not been born in a so-called 3rd world country and may have not faced any discrimination due to your powerful passport, but please be aware there are people suffering because of the procedures of these airlines, governments and border police. You can take your stance against these racist applications for good.

Finally I am in Bogota by the way, crossed the border without any problem flying direct from İstanbul to Bogota. And of course I paid for it.

Date of travel: January 2021
    • Customer service
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.