“Horrible experience with Turkish airlines”
Review of Turkish Airlines

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I had a flight from JFK NYC to Budapest,Hungary. I went to the check in desk to weigh my carry on luggage and the lady said that the weight was ok and I was able to use it as a carryon. After waiting for 45 minutes after our flight was DELAYED for unknown reasons AND WITHOUT EXPLANATION, when I got to the gate there were two men with Turkish airlines who stopped me. They picked up my standard carry on luggage and said my carry on was too heavy to be taken on the flight. Actually he said “oh Look at the hard time I’m having picking up this luggage. This is too heavy to take on the plane.” (Mind you I could easily pick up the luggage and I’m a short woman). When I tried to explain to them that the lady at check in weighed my carryon and she said that the weight was fine and they rudely responded to me “It doesn’t matter what you say because it’s too heavy to be used as a carryon. Look I can barely pick it up.” I continued to try and reason with them and said I can pick up my luggage easily and even asked for them to bring a luggage scale out to weigh the luggage but they refused and were very rude. So for time sake I allowed them to check in my bag at the gate. He gave me a ticket and said it’d be checked in. So after my long 13 hour international flight to Budapest, Hungary I arrive to find out that the men wrote a different destination on my ticket and that my luggage was in another country. You can imagine how frustrating, upsetting and disappointing this is. I was in another country without my necessities such as underwear, toothbrush, socks, fresh clothes and etc. I literally only had the clothes on my back! Also to be told there’s nothing they can do except wait to deliver my luggage, no offer to rectify the situation nothing to compensate me or to even offer me a toothbrush! This could have all been avoided if the men would have not been so negligent and put the correct destination on my ticket or even let me take my carry on luggage! I left Budapest airport in tears and defeat because all I had were the clothes on my back. I did not catch the men’s names but they were at JFK airport, terminal 1, for the NYC to IST flight at Gate 6. The flight was suppose to be ‪at 12:10 am‬ but was delayed for 45 minutes. I don’t know if that helps to track down these men but I hope it does so that Turkish airlines can send them for training or to discuss with them how serious this matter is. I received my bag two days later during the night when the lady at the airport promised that it would be delivered earlier! And when I received it, it had missing items! So on top of losing my luggage and me having to be without clothes and basic necessities for two days some of my items are missing! Ive never ever had this issue with any other airlines I have flown with. And the lack of customer help is horrendous! I had to send email after email and call several times while I was in another country just to get my luggage tracked! Do you know how difficult that is? Especially when you have limited ways to make contact because my phone service didn’t work out there. So instead of enjoying my vacation I had to purchase necessities and clothes that I had in my luggage that they lost and call and email their company just to find out where my luggage was. They didn’t even offer to give me money to buy some necessities, or give me necessities or a stipend or even offer to at least upgrade my flight for the trouble they caused me! Delta airlines cancelled a flight and they gave me $100 in future flight purchases and a flight upgrade to first class to apologize but Turkish Airlines has done absolutely nothing! They didn’t even give me a toothbrush to use! Horrible customer service with this airline! I will never fly with them again and I will continue to share this story with friends, family and everyone I speak too about my experience until Turkish Airlines changes their approach to customers and their belongings! And employees need to be less negligent as well!

***btw these photos of our dirty pillows are from our first connecting flight

• In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Write a ReviewReviews (18,424)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Check in was slow due to late arrival of check in staff. The flight was full; no wonder it is Easter holiday and most passengers are traveling to celebrate Easter with their families. The service was average and their was no delay, we reached Istanbul on time. The seats are a bit tight the distance between rows are the minimum; I believe it could be wider and more comfortable.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

On time departure . Seats are very tiny and the only problem is the movie selection is very poor . Food is mediocre . Miles given are really low for the flights so really not much benefit . I give an 8 because of the convenience of the connection to reach pakistan faster . The flight is shorter to connect via Istanbul to Lahore . I always take a stop over and explore Turkey which is wonderful . The checkin system is terrible at the airport in Istanbul . The staff on board is not very savvy in English but are respectful .
One negative is the lack of bathrooms on board .
Otherwise a convenient flight .
Food is very mediocre .

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I want to start by saying that Turkish is a pretty solid airline to travel with. I have travelled with them for 5 years and I have generally been treated well. They provide a lot of connections to many countries and while the layovers between flights can be rather long there are some perks. If your layover is over 5/6 hours with Turkish and you are at Istanbul ataturk airport then you can go to their desk and get vouchers for a free meal. If your layover is 12 or more hours then you can get a room in a hotel near to the airport. One thing that I will say about the flight itself is that their breakfast meal is not the best, it used to be better but now its not that great, I do appreciate their lunches/dinners the food for those is usually pretty good. Turkish has been through a lot, most recently the blizzard in Istanbul in January 2017, I was affected by this at the time and had to spend several days in Trabzon (east Turkey), followed by several more days in the Crowne Plaza near Ataturk airport. I wont complain about the breakfast at the second hotel, it was spectacular. But overall I would say Turkish is pretty good and I would definitely fly with them again as I have already on several routes and on many different occasions.

1  Thank smallpineapple
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I knew Turkish airlines have the best food but until I tried it I was not convinced. Well I can say for sure that among all the airlines I used in the past this has to be the BEST. You get a delicious warm food just like you would get in a restaurant even for a 3 hour flight. The transatlantic flights I took from Europe and USA do not even compare. The attendants are very courteous and the whole experience of flying is a bit less painful. Thank you THY !

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)