“Very good in the air but poor ground service”
Review of Turkish Airlines

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Flying with Turkish is usually a very nice experience. The food is excellent and you are well supplied with drinks of all sorts. The lounge in Istanbul is probably one of the best in the world. The ground service is a problem. Not only have I met with ignorant and impertinent staff but I´ve also been lied at.
When I recently tried to book a flight with my bonus miles which you according to their own instructions shall do through customer services in Istanbul , I was twice advised to do this in Stockholm at two different contact points that both directed me back to Istanbul. When I complained to customer services and asked what is the right procedure the answer was that I should do that through Istanbul - which obviously the staff in Istanbul is not very interested to help you with. A catch 22 quite clearly. I had to give up in the end.

Date of travel: January 2017
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (30,571)

Reviewed 30 May 2017

the staff is a bit rude , but the food on the plane is the greatest of all airplane food. the tickits usal are cheap.

Date of travel: May 2017
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I flew a long flight (LAX > Istanbul r/t), and a short flight (Istanbul > Geneva) and was extremely impressed with Turkish Airlines. As a United Mileage Plus member, I can say that United can learn a lot from Turkish Air. All economy passengers were given warm, rolled hand towels before our meal. Then we were given menu's with our food choices. The food was actually GOOD, and the meal included complimentary beverages such as mint lemonade, wine (Turkish and French), other alcohol, soda or juices. I've flown United Business Class and the treatment I received in an Economy seat was the same as United's Business Class. And the seats in Economy were very comfortable, and for long flights, you are given comfy pillows and blankets that actually keep you warm, PLUS a kit that includes eye covers, ear plugs, toothbrush/toothpaste, socks and slippers, and lip balm. In between meals on the long flight, if you are hungry, you can walk to the coffee area and help yourself to a cheese sandwich and coffee/tea. What a nice surprise!
The choice of movies was great too. All the new movies as well as classics, so many to choose from. There were many flight attendants who were friendly, accomodating, and nice.
I've heard that if you have a long layover (like 20 hours), Turkish Air will put you up in a hotel as well as give you a tour of Istanbul. I wish I'd known ahead of time....I'd have done that!
I am bragging about Turkish Air, but they really impressed me. At a time when airlines are cutting back, it was nice to have a flight experience that gave more and exceeded my expectations.

Date of travel: May 2017
2  Thank honurider
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Before taking off they passed around dinner and wine menus and a breakfast card (tall, hotel style). Dinner was good, watched a movie and went to sleep. Woke up 3 hours before landing and lay slightly up watching a movie. After hearing the landing announcement I asked a stewardess when would they serve breakfast. Clearly having forgotten me, she rushed off to consult. Came back saying they thought I was still sleeping. So they rushed the food to me and I ate quickly. But my eggs had clearly been cooked hours earlier. And I had about 10 minutes to gulp it down.
Another example were the headphones. At the seat were a pair of older gray headphones. Sounded fine. I used them until about 30 min. into the flight when they came by with new Denon headphones in a fancy sealed case. They said these would sound better and clearly for cost reasons they were tracking these more carefully. Much more comfortable but the sound was only in one ear unless I played with the cord. After about 20 min I asked for a new set which I got but she did not take the original, faulty pair. Near the end of the flight I looked around and saw many people with multiple pairs of these headsets sitting on their footrests. Clearly I wasn't the only one with issues. And they just collected all into one duffel at the end, so its not like they were keeping the faulty ones separate. So nice idea, poor execution.

Date of travel: February 2017
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Again I had a great experience with Turkish Airlines. Keeps being my preferred airline when booking myself.

Date of travel: April 2017
1  Thank MikeEOD
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.