“On time and comfortable”
Review of TAP Portugal

Reviewed 22 October 2017

Having never flown with TAP, I was unsure of what to expect. Booking was a bit of a hassle because the website timed out while processing payment and would not allow me to re-try the payment. There is no service number in the NL so I had to call Portugal and spend 30 minutes on hold before reaching customer service. I was able to complete the purchase and hoped that the experience was not representative of the service.
We arrived early for our flight and the plane pushed away right on schedule and we arrived in Porto a few minutes early. There was snack service during the flight, but the only thing on offer was a ham sandwich. I do not eat meat so I was out of luck, but a cookie was offered later. There was also beverage service on the flight. Staff were all pleasant and professional. While I wouldn't buy one for my living room, the chairs were some of the most comfortable airline seats I have ever used.
TAP offers the now industry standard 3 level pricing. Basic includes only hand luggage (max 8 kg) and no seat selection. Since the plane used for this route is 2 x 2, you are guaranteed an aisle or a window. The middle level of service includes a checked bag (up to 23kg) as well as seat selection. There were several offers to bid on an upgrade to business class which seemed absurd for a 2 hour flight on a plane where business class seats are identical to economy. There is no on-board entertainment, so bring a book or a device.
I was overall pleased with the service and would gladly use them over budget carriers.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
1  Thank yogarobin
Write a ReviewReviews (8,224)

Reviewed 22 October 2017

I was grateful to have the ability to check additional bags (4 in total --- 2 that came with price of ticket and 2 additional) for just EUR 45 each! Any other carrier (OK-- at least the ones I usually take like American Airlines, Delta, and British Airways) would charge a FORTUNE (like USD 150-200 each) to do the same. We accumulated 2 cases of wine and port in 10 day Portugal trip-- I WAS TERRIFIED what I was going to be charged for excess baggage but was gearing up mentally. The night before we left Lisbon-- I went on-line to arrange for this and was so pleasantly surprised by 2 bags x EUR 45 each = EUR 90 that my blood pressure dropped 20 points probably! ha ha. The next time we go to Portugal (this was our first time)-- I might spring for business class to check that out. Especially with the amazing wines and ports on offer that are less expensive and more approachable to other Euro-wines (yes we are wine aficionados). Excellent self-education by going to certain wineries and port houses for tastings.

One more thing-- TAP in economy-- the seats only recline so far. That is a good thing since the damn teenager in front of me kept trying to go back to sleep in my lap (an exaggeration but you get the picture).

2  Thank wolfgang333
Reviewed 21 October 2017

On Sunday, September 10th, my wife and her sister were denied boarding on TAP Flight 1011 from Madrid Spain to Lisbon Portugal. Since I was traveling with them I was obliged to relinquish my seat as well or travel on without them. I chose to remain with them.

Apparently this flight was overbooked and this was the reason we were denied the seats we’d reserved months before. However, no announcement was made to that effect, no one was asked to take a later flight, and no inducement was offered to do so. Instead, we three – along with two other Americans – were arbitrarily chosen and denied boarding.

Further, we were given no assistance or advice whatsoever, simply handed our luggage and told to leave the boarding area. We received no remuneration for meals, lodging or time lost in transit at the time. We were able, on our own, to find a multi-airline office which re-booked us on an Iberia flight later in the afternoon. Instead of arriving in Lisbon at 10:00 we arrived instead at 18:00.

On September 25th I filed a report with TAP pursuant to this incident.I complained that protocol for overbooked flights was clearly not followed. I’ve yet to receive a reply.

I am frustrated that we have not been compensated for the day we lost from our vacation, even though their "Passenger Bill of Rights" says we're entitled to compensation. Further, I'm upset that protocols outlined in this document were not followed, either with regards to overbooked flights or stranded passengers. Finally, as an American, I’m offended that these gate agents denied boarding only to U.S. citizens and this anti-American bias has yet to be acknowledged and apologized for.

I understand that TAP is a member of the Star Alliance, a consortium of airlines committed to a higher level of service. You should know that their service is sub-par and, in my opinion, bigoted.

11  Thank gillett115
Reviewed 21 October 2017

We flew with TAP on Tuesday (17 Oct) and returned today (21 Oct). We hadn't flown with the airline before and during the two weeks before departure I kept an eye on the schedules, which showed the Manchester to Lisbon flight law as running upto 2 hours late. Happily both our flights were on time.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Used TAP to fly from Toronto to Lisbon in September and returned with them in mid October 5 weeks later.. flight services were excellent... both ground and on flight staff were friendly and helpful.. spoke many languages... food on flight to Lisbon was a good quality airline type fare... however on the return by the time they reached us they only had pasta left for dinner... definitely the worst airline food that I had ever encountered.. could not eat it despite being very hungry... problem may be in the Lisbon based food catering as on the flight from TO food was good.. other than great service

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)