“Angry parent of child with a disability!!!”
Review of Spirit Airlines

Reviewed 5 July 2022

Spirit has truly done it for me as a passenger! On Friday June 1sty family and I were traveling from Orland FL to New Orleans. We did the usual check in online 24hrs before and then headed to the airport. Upon arrival our flight was delayed by 15 mins, no big deal. Between 6pm- and 11pm our flight had be delayed 4 times. Now being a father traveling with 4 minors ( one with down syndrome), decided well we can't just sit at the airport we might as well make the 10 hour drive. As we go about our travels we get an alert our flight was scheduled to take off some 2.5hrs later. I tell the family not to worry we'll just enjoy a road trip. I reach out to Spirit customer on June 5th and was told in order to receive credit/ refund for my flight I need to provide proof of my child's mental/ physical condition. They customer service agent then tells me well only the child with the disability was checked-in for the flight. Well thats odd, because the young lady who book the flight at the ticket counter in Tampa advised me that her name was showing on both reservations, waa because we decided at the last minute to add her to our trip. No problem and this is how their (Spirit) system is setup. No im a little upset that I am being told, I have to reach out to a physician to have him/her document my child's disability in order to be compensate for the flights that were delayed due to the airline. We are not seeking any additional compensation just the refund of the money spent for our flights. The Spirit agent advised me they need documentation to process this. This is completely sad to me that as a parent I need to disclose this !!

1  Thank 973kareems
Write a reviewReviews (25,270)

Reviewed 5 July 2022

Spirit was the easiest airline to deal with when it came to a medical need that cropped up after we had booked our flight. My family was super excited to go on our first beach vacation when my wife's pregnancy condition kept her from going. I was apprehensive about talking to the airline, so I wrote them an explanation. The staff was very prompt and accommodating, verifying that what I was saying was true (rather than simply writing me off, which they certainly could have done.)

They really worked with my family to ensure we didn't incur an undue burden from the trip and I am extremely grateful.

Date of travel: June 2022
Reviewed 5 July 2022

This was my first experience with Spirit. Our flight was cancelled at the last minute and the next booked for 10p the next day with no accommodations made. When we finally arrived at our destination, they lost my husband’s bag and couldn’t get it there until midnight the next day. We had to purchase items in the interim to get him by and we were told at the airport that we could submit our receipts online for reimbursement. However we were never given the needed claim information to file despite calling and emailing multiple times. Here we are 2 months later still trying to get reimbursed. Their customer service takes weeks to respond and is never helpful. I can never speak to anyone who knows what they are doing. I would never recommend Spirit Airlines and I will never fly them again.

Date of travel: May 2022
1  Thank Q3146POsarahl
Reviewed 5 July 2022

Good experience. Worth every penny. Saved me from getting fired. Thank God they didn't delayed the flight.

Reviewed 4 July 2022

Spirit airlines delayed a flight due to “weather” didn’t accommodate and left unaccompanied minors alone and terrified. Said next flight was in 24 hours. They quite literally abandoned this poor girl who was only 17 in Vegas because of their mistake. Me and my dad originally thought we’d save money flying spirit but we had to dish 800 dollars out to get tickets home so my dad could teach his class. I would never recommend spirit and think it has show an almost criminal degree of negligence and apathy.

1  Thank Noah s
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.