“Stolen Funds”
Review of Southwest Airlines

Reviewed 18 January 2022

I have been flying Southwest exclusively for more than 2 decades and will not be using them again. I have always appreciated their cancellation policy and the ability to use funds at a later time; however, it is this policy that has cost me hundreds of dollars.

I purchased a flight in December 2021 for travel in January 2022. Due to the rise of Covid, I canceled the flight and decided to rebook for April 2022. When I went to book, it said my $300+ in travel funds is no longer valid. Even though the majority of the purchase in December (a month ago) was paid directly, a small portion was previous travel funds. Now the purchase I made a month ago is only good until 4/13. To add insult, the new travel dates I have are 4/23-4/27, but I was told by customer service that it's unfortunate my travel is after the date.

You would think years of loyalty would have some impact. At the very least a sympathetic ear instead of the rude, scripted response I received. Don't believe the large advertisements that you can use your funds for 12 months. As I was told, I should have read the small print instead of the billboard.

So I am out hundreds of dollars and they are out a twenty year loyal customer.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
1  Thank L4615RFstaceyb
Write a reviewReviews (44,373)

Reviewed 16 January 2022

Worst customer service rude. They say bad behavior won't fly, but they have the bad behavior. It your looking for good customer service it's not in Miami southwest.

1  Thank H6508TEjacquelinek
Reviewed 15 January 2022

Every time I fly southwest I feel like family. They truly like to have fun and get my family back and forth safely.

Date of travel: February 2021
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank johathom
Reviewed 15 January 2022

One thing I've learned through my travels...I have to give southwest props... no matter the weather or staff shortage, southwest never cancels a flight! They will push it back a lil but never have they canceled on me the past few years... even when all the other airlines were on the news for mass cancelations... NOT SOUTHWEST!

1  Thank annalc12
Reviewed 14 January 2022

The only reason I'm writing this review here is because the link to my Southwest survey has expired otherwise it would have been there. It's my fault for not reviewing them sooner but when you're on the move like me, you have no choice.

So I was scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale on Jan 4, 2022. The flight was 1pm to MBJ. I arrived at the airport long before my schediuled flight and was in line to check my bags. Protocol was for agents to check for certain documents to enter Jamaica including a COVID 19 test taken within 3 days (72 hours) . The agent at the desk informed me that my COVID test was taken too early even though my test was taken approx 2pm Dec 31, 2021. The agent (don't want to write an incorrect name but I think it was Jeto) was adamant I would not be able to board the flight and even got confirmation from his supervisor (Ingrid) , that I did indeed take the test too early. They instead advised me of an area in the airport at terminal 3( which was probably 20 minutes walking distance away) where I could take a test and then try to make it back to check in for my flight. The agent told me I should just come back and see him. Now since I felt I had no choice and was not being allowed to proceed, myself and my 4 year old child walked all the way down 20 minutes outside with large luggages and bags to find this testing area. When we arrived there, the line was miles long (exaggeration) and the line was barely moving. We waited in line more than hour and half to get a COVID test done. While I was in line I got an email from Southwest that the flight was delayed from 1 pm to 1:45pm ( now I figured I had more time to make my flight) I paid $59 for a COVID test ( the initial one I had done was free) Myself and my son basically ran back up to terminal 1 to check in and possible catch out flight. When we got there (now with the new COVID results) the agents that I was speaking to previously had left. I instead went to who I saw, another agent, who said she might be able to get me on the flight but my bags might not make the flight ( at this point it was better than nothing) Just as she was about to process my documents, she spoke to thr agent next to her and I'm not sure what happened but then both agents decided I would not be able to be on the flight so I should come back the next day. You can imagine how my jaw dropped especially since I had a young child and we hadn't eaten because of all the up and down. At this point I started to ask for a supervisor which didn't come right away. But the agent insisted there was nothing that could be done but book another flight for the next day or be on standby for the next day. I was tired, frustrated and fed up. I immediately moved to plan B which was to get a hotel since I had a little one who was getting as tired and impatient as I was. When I composed myself I insisted on seeing the supervisor again. Her name was Erla. I explained everything from the top and she decided to reimburse me for the inconvenience. I got a $200 flight credit and reimbursement for hotel and the $59 COVID test. I would rather to not have gone through the inconvenience but it was out of my scope. Myself and my child ended up staying at a hotel about 10 minutes away, having to pay an Uber, buy food and all (with no compensation for those).

When I came back the next day I went to see Ingrid the other supervisor to ensure that I was indeed on a flight. She handed me off to Tamique who seemed very bothered by me to the point she even misplaced my passports and was insisting she gave them to me. (She eventually found them and didn't even apologize) She did her protocol check of documents including checking my now most recent COVID 19 test and confirmed me all set for a flight at 1pm to MBJ. After, she handed me back over to Ingrid who made some adjustments to the cheque I had received from Erla the day before. (I have yet to lodge that check btw and hope all goes well or I will be forced to contact Southwest). When I got to the gate, and was about to board (because I was considered Family Group I was sent back to the desk at the gate) The agent there told me she had to check my documents including my COVID 19 test that was cleared earlier by Tamique. At this point I thought this trip was definitely the worse I've ever been on and I had to do it all with a 4 year old.

This experience won't get me to stop flying Southwest because they still have the best deals around. But I was extremely disappointed to have to go through this experience.

1  Thank shaneilm2015
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.