“1/4 flights cancelled over the last two years”
Review of Southwest Airlines

Reviewed 31 July 2021

Flight cancelled again for no reason with zero notification. I have flown over 40 flights in the last two years on frontier and southwest. Southwest cancels about 1/4 of the time and only occasionally gives any notice. I have even had southwest flights cancelled for weather, walked over to the frontier counter, bought a ticket, and landed on time at my destination. Southwest will only be a backup airline for me moving forward. Unreliable.

2  Thank K4163FLjoelr
Write a reviewReviews (44,007)

Reviewed 31 July 2021

I don't mind Southwest Airlines, they are typically on time, and I do not mind the seating experience. I do have 2 problems: The airlines need to put a restriction on the size of carry ons. People are bringing HUGE rolling luggage, whatever happened to size restrictions? It slows down deplaning. The other problem is this: people are taking advantage of the disability/wheelchair loading. There will be 10 people wheeled up to the gate - the attendant then leaves. When it's time to board, these people will WALK ON THE PLANE WITH NO ASSISTANCE leaving the truly disabled - those who NEED ASSISTANCE - waiting for someone to help them. This happened to my mother, who is 92. She truly needs assistance walking down the ramp - and by the time she was helped onto the plane, the first FOUR ROWS were taken by able passengers. Yes, they may have had diabetes, or asthma, or heart issues. But someone who needs help WALKING down the ramp ought to be allowed on the plane first. OR....the entire family who was with the person in the wheelchair gets on the plane - all of them , my mother witnessed 4 people get on the plane with the person who was wheeled up to the gate, yet the wheelchair person gets up and walks ably to the plane - and they take up space that the person who cannot walk that far could have had. Really irritates me, and this is not only Southwest's fault, but society's fault for being pigs.

• Seat comfort
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank 344theresan
Reviewed 31 July 2021

Horrible what they do to customers. Cancelled flight with no real explanation. Other carriers were making all their flights to Denver last night. Rude customer service. No heart. My friend was going to visit her grandchild and was really looking forward to the trip. All they offered was a seat the following night with no hotel room voucher. Fly with anyone else.

1  Thank D3651BUmichaeln
Reviewed 31 July 2021

Cancelled flight after original boarding time - no explanation. Customer service lacking. There was no heart. Logo needs to change!

3  Thank GG_Exploring
Reviewed 29 July 2021

My family and I bought Southwest tickets to fly to Mexico in December for my 50th birthday. Prior to flying my father contracted COVID and was also diagnosed with dementia. The hotels also put COVID restrictions into place. We called Southwest and cancelled our flights to which we were given "Travel Funds".
Fast forward we are taking the family and going on a vacation in December, this year. We tried to book the flights using our travel funds and were told we can not due to them expiring in October. We called customer service and explained the situation and were rudely told we have to wait until they expire and then pay a $100/per ticket fee to reinstate them. We understand paying the fee and requested to pay it now to extend the date. We explained we can not wait until October to book the flights as flights are limited and are already nearly sold out. The customer service rep had zero compassion and stated there was nothing she could do that that was the policy. We asked to speak to a supervisor and were told only contact with them was through email. The email response we received only had a first name and stated there was absolutely nothing that could be done to try and resolve the problem. We called customer service again and once again explained the situation. We again said we would gladly pay the fee now and book the flights. The rep sternly responded that they are not able or willing to do anything to assist. That we would have to take our chances and wait until after October (IF they decide to take the fee and extend the funds!) or just loose all the money. They stated they gave 2 year extensions for travel plans changed due to covid, she then sarcastically stated that we did not fall in that time frame.
COVID is out of our control, along with the medical problems of my father. We are not asking for a refund of the money or even asking to have a fee waived to extend the funds. I simply want to book a flight flying the same month I was going to previously! No compassion and no attempt at finding a solution!!! I will not fly Southwest again.

Date of travel: December 2020
    • Customer service
    • Value for money
2  Thank Dreamer628190
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.