“30hrs in hell”
Review of Southwest Airlines

Reviewed 21 June 2021

This review is not only of one flight but the entire experience flying from Nashville to Bozeman and back in around 30hr. First, every flight but one was delayed "due to mechanical issues" .. are none of these planes fit to fly or are they using this as a generic excuse for allowing their entire schedule to fall apart through any given day. Would they lie to you? Yes!! Had a gate agent tell us to "run for it" 20 something gates away in Denver when she knew full well that our connecting flight had left, stranding us .. just pure evil. Sure the planes were packed, the food/drink service abysmal but what I want to concentrate on here were the personnel. In my working years I flew Southwest literally hundreds of times .. they had always been the friendliest, happiest folks in the sky. I don't know what happened to their corporate culture but EVERY agent we interacted with was rude, uncaring, bothered, not helpful and in at least one case, just pure evil. The flight crews were mostly curt and officious. The Southwest of the past is far in the past. It would be fitting for them to fold their tent and get out of the business because clearly they hate to fly and it shows.

2  Thank David S
Write a reviewReviews (44,006)

Reviewed 21 June 2021

Worst airline ever!! Delayed almost 90 minutes out of Tampa after a boarding regime that felt like cattle to slaughter! How hard is it to assign seats? Then over an hour to get luggage in Austin. Just awful on the way home as well. Crowded because people cannot find enough overhead space. Airflow was non existent in flight. We thought we wanted Southwest because of direct flights. Never again. It’s better to connect with a real airline! Aeroflot ( Russian airline) is better!!!

3  Thank Marla O
Reviewed 20 June 2021

We felt fortunate to be able to fly non-stop to Phoenix from New Orleans,

There was a delay leaving to gett all the passenger's luggage loaded, but after that, there were no delays and we arrived within an hour of the scheduled time.

My only issue is the flight attendants talked too much and interrupted my reading during the flight.

1  Thank raybyerley
Reviewed 19 June 2021

We had flights for 6 planned through Southwest Vacations and Southwest Air canceled our flights on May 6 and didn't advise us. Our travel agent went in to verify everything and NOTHING was there for our flights. SW canceled all 6 flights and didn't give us any notice. We were left with a wonderful Punta Cana resort with no way to get there. Southwest Air gave no indication as to why, that they just dropped the flight from the schedule. When we asked them for alternate flights they did not want to assist us. The CSR from SW couldn't give us a reason and when asked if they would possibly add a flight, she advised that she "didn't have a crystal ball" to be able to verify that. Wrong thing to say to someone who manages a business. Very poor customer service. We will never use Southwest again for travel and we have used them a LOT over the years. American Airlines bailed us out and offered flights. Be cautious that SW will cancel you with no reason or warning.

2  Thank BoardingPass617411
Reviewed 19 June 2021

FIND ANOTHER AIRLINE. I have just returned from Bradley Airport (BDL) for the second consecutive day of what I will charitably refer to as my Southwest Airlines debacle. Let me first say that I have been a Rapid Rewards member since 2012, and a patron of Southwest prior to that. Until recently, I have been generally satisfied with the service and schedules, and I applaud their front line staff for whom today I have great pity.
I recognize that there are substantial logistical challenges for the travel industry in general, and airlines in particular in rebounding from the ravages of the pandemic. However, the exceedingly irritating experience that I have had in the past two months crossed deeply into the territory of unacceptable yesterday and today. This is a corporate failing of epic proportions.

My saga begins April 9, 2021 when I booked a post pandemic trip for my wife and I to see our son for the first time in a year and a half. The dates were to be June 18 to June 23. It seemed to go smoothly enough: BDL to BWI, BWI to RDU… a four hour trip. (Confirmation code 2FRTY2)
On April 29 (20 days later), Southwest emailed us with regard to a modification of our trip: BDL to Orlando (MCO), MCO to RDU… now a five and a half hour trip to North Carolina, via Florida. Irritating, but not insurmountable. I was still feeling some sympathy for the logistics issues.
On May 12th came another email informing us that “we (SWA) have made a change to your upcoming trip”. This email included a new confirmation number, and a link to view the itinerary. When I logged onto my account, I found that my original itinerary was gone, and that the new confirmation number “could not be found” in the airlines system, and my trip had simply vanished. REALLY upsetting!

I immediately called the SWA customer service number, and, after a 45 minute wait on hold, managed to get my flights rebooked on approximately the same schedule that I had originally booked in early April. Confirmation code 3NHEOY. Now that I was left ill at ease by the series of “rescheduling events”, I rechecked the itinerary several times on my account, looking for unexpected changes.
On Wednesday evening, June 17th, we went to bed anticipating our trip the following morning.
The next morning, yesterday (June 18th), thirty minutes into our ninety minute drive to the airport, I received the text from SWA informing us that our flight was delayed FOUR HOURS. The new departure time from BDL was now AFTER the departure time for our connecting flight out of BWI. When we reached the airport, your weary front line people informed us that they had no seats available from BWI to RDU for the rest of the day. We had to rebook for the following morning: a 6:00 AM departure to get us through BWI, and on to RDU by 10:30. We drove the 90 minutes home.

We got up at 2:00 AM this morning and drove the 90 minutes back to BDL, giving us ample time to get through the early morning TSA crush. At 4:30 AM we were at the gate, looking out at the parked and darkened 737. At 4:45 I received the text from SWA informing us that our flight was delayed THREE HOURS. Once again, the new departure time from BDL was now AFTER the departure time for our connecting flight out of BWI. The system apparently automatically rebooked us to a flight from BDL through Chicago MDW, a 7+ hour journey that would bring us to our destination at midnight. Unacceptable. Our trip effectively chopped in half, with what seems a high likelihood that we would be stranded in Raleigh or Baltimore on our Wednesday return, we had no option but to cancel. I am enraged. My wife is in tears. My son and his wife are disappointed.

What did we get this morning? After some haranguing, a manager threw us a couple of $100 vouchers that are essentially lottery tickets inviting us to another dumpster fire, should we try to book another flight on Southwest. Seriously? $200 doesn’t even cover my lost prepaid airport parking fees and gas for two wasted three hour round trips to the airport. And I still don’t know if I’ll recover my $365 prepaid rental car costs. I’ll add the 6+ hours of on-hold phone time (two of it waiting for an SWA representative) in the past 30 hours.
Their corporate image is gravely damaged in my eye, and based on the hundreds of unhappy faces I saw yesterday and today, I am not alone. If they’re hoping to redeem yourselves in the face of this mess, they’ll need to do alot better than a dog biscuit.

4  Thank jsmkojak
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.