“My favourite airline”
Review of Singapore Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Singapore is my favourite airline. In my experience, their food, entertainment, service, staff and aircrafts are topnotch. I find compared to other airlines they are a cut above, and I thoroughly enjoy my flying experience with them. I now actively choose to fly Singapore even if it costs a little extra as I know it will be an enjoyable flight. No complaints.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (16,402)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

In advance of this review, I hope my comments are received with an open mind. It is rather difficult to give Singapore Airlines such a low rating but I believe this is well deserved for several reasons. Let me first note that SIA -in the air- often offers a fantastic service for travelers in the economy class. The flight crew is pleasant, the food is pretty nice, the in-flight entertainment is outstanding and the hot towels that you receive are a very nice touch. The airline can do better with proactively providing economy passengers spirits like their partner Virgin Atlantic but you have to take initiative with the crew and request libations during flights. This is where my complements end and my issues start - I travel often with Singapore Airlines as I have recently visited places like Bali, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, etc. I often travel as an economy passenger; however, unknown to me, SIA is now offering 3 different tiers of fares including the infamous "economy lite" which I highly recommend folks to avoid. Why? Because as someone who has booked an expensive "economy lite" fare, it's as though the airline has locked me into a class that I can't get out of without losing my initial reservation and the money from it and rebooking an even more expensive fare. You see, the economy lite fare I purchased is non-refundable and I cannot upgrade my seat with miles. I have to pay to select a seat for each leg - which is another $100+ per person since we have multiple legs on this trip. I can only bring a certain amount of carry-on with me and I was approached by a ticket agent to gate check my carry-on because it wasn't allowed on the plane with my "fare" (HUH?) Unacceptable! Now that I have accumulated enough miles to purchase a business class seat on one leg of my trip, I am not able to upgrade with miles or purchase a new biz class seat on my existing leg as that would cancel the remaining legs on my economy flight. I was told that I could pay the difference in price but that would run my husband and I at least 5K+ SGD per person for a business class seat - ridiculous! I am unable to access any premium lounge and as someone who is in a position explore the airline's infamous J (biz) class, I am unable to during this trip all 3.5 weeks of my travel. It's not like I paid $200 roundtrip for my flight...this was an expensive ticket, one of the most expensive tickets across the airline spectrum, so the level of classism that exists with Singapore Air is abhorrent. I understand that the airline is known for its premium class(es) and the airline wants to preserve the integrity of its upper class accordingly. However, they way the airline treats its economy class is indicative of an assumption that economy travelers are either not in a position to afford an upper class outside of PE and so the airline caters to their premium travelers in a way that feels classist. In comparison, I flew economy recently via Virgin Atlantic and the experience was night and day. Oh how I wish Virgin Atlantic launched a Virgin Pacific service. Singapore would have the competition it so needs. Additionally, Singapore should award loyal KrisFlyer members with the option to upgrade with either miles or outright buy a biz class seat on a leg without cancelling the other legs. What often happens is that people who want to redeem miles for a business class seat are placed on a waitlist that they never get out of and the business class is often far from full. I swore I would never fly with SIA again after my last trip but the airline does have a home base in Singapore so alternative options are limited for me. However, I hope this review sheds light on another aspect of this airline that the blogs and media neglect as they often receive the red carpet treatment. Going forward, there are other airlines to use like JAL which can give SIA a good run for its money due to the airline's exceptional customer service, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines (surprisingly good), ANA and others to name a few.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank LAXtoNRT
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My flight from Zurich to Singapore was super. The new business class is good even the seats are set more dense as in the previous Business Class. Service was great and cabin crew very attentive.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The airline crew staff were outstanding in their attention to detail.
They were quick, attentive and very professional in their approach to all aspects of service provided by them.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had been ill the night before I travelled (food poisoning) but had a wonderful flight back from Singapore to London. I was able to stretch out over three seats and sleep soundly. After explaining to a flight attendant that I wasn't well and didn't want to eat, I was left in peace. I slept so soundly that I had no jet lag! I really appreciated being on a flight that wasn't packed to the full and having such gracious attendants.