“Worst customer service”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed 25 May 2022

The flight got delayed on 5/25/2022 and the agent couldn’t provide a timeframe on when the flight was going out, response was could be 24 or 48 hrs. Was given a number to call customer service, probably in India, since reception was bad. Utterly useless, said the security answers were incorrect, so they can’t provide details on when the flight is going out, yet it’s posted on the website. Worst service, this site needs to allow negative numbers since 1 is too nice.

2  Thank LordStreiger
Write a reviewReviews (33,014)

Reviewed 25 May 2022

Clearly, there is a gulf between economy and any class above that. For context I've flown with many long haul airlines to the Maldives, USA, Australia and more. This was not the worst ever flight experience but it was still pretty awful. Since booking the flights a year in advance, I had zero response from Qatar customer Services in any of my questions - my experience is that they are simply useless. How on earth did they get any awards?
I tried to book business class - was not able to
I tried to book economy seats - Three times the web engine took the money then cancelled the booking. Three times my credit card company had to step in.
The first flight was late - the seat pitch incredibly poor. The volume control did not work on my entertainment screen so for six hours I had to lip read.
The food I was given (no choice offered) was indescribable - I'm not a food snob by any means but I still cannot tell you what I was given. Meat and a square of white chewy stuff that was supposed to be potato I think? It was awful.
the transfer at Doha saw a Qatar staff member shouting 'MALE' at passers by. Standing in the queue behind her for 15 minutes she then announced that flight XYZ was late and issued boarding passes. We were not on flight XYZ and on a different flight - realising this she barked at us that our gate was closing and that we should run to catch our flight....
Boarding the second flight, someone was already in our seats and using the headphones and blanket. They had decided that they preferred our seat to theirs and only moved after I made enough noise to attract attention.
On this second leg, I was given exactly the same lump of meal which I couldn't eat.
Then 14 days later, on the return flight Qatar simply changed the flight number and cancelled my seat reservation. No email, no answering the helpline, no nothing and to this day 7 days later, they have still not responded to my questions.
On the second and last leg of my return flight, the guy in front demanded he should be upgraded to business which met with the inevitable response from the steward. Sulking, he decided not to wear a mask and instead bounce backwards and forwards in his seat because he couldn't get his own way. I was seconds away from strangling him from the seat behind.
It sounds like a rant doesn't it? But compared with just about any other airline I have been on, I would rank Qatar second from last - an absolutely dreadful company who I would avoid in future like the plague.

2  Thank Bob C
Reviewed 25 May 2022

How many extra seats can you get in qatar.
There was no room to move I had to sit side ways with my arms tucked in for 22 hrs and then the meals arrived how on earth are you supposed to eat 3 courses when you can hardly move your arms ,I know it's economy but it's not cheap and it is the backbone of your company
and brings in plenty money,maybe you could give enough room to sit comfortably and still leave room for trolley to go up and down aisle without hitting arms elbows on the way ,I fly qatar every year for passed 13 yrs but only because the flight times suit me ,but after the last flight I will be changing to Emirates, I don't suppose this review will do any good but at least I got it off my chest

3  Thank Christine M
Reviewed 25 May 2022

This was my first time that I flew with Qatar Airways, from Montreal to Phuket with a connecting flight in Doha. I was flying in business class. Check in was fine but it took some time due to the extra requirements for the destination. The check in agent was nice a lovely lady who was professional and knew her job and gave personal touch by addressing with my last name. Boarding was made in order as much as possible despite a few impatient passengers who were directed to their right line. There was a lot of staff to direct the passenger for a efficient boarding. The aircraft to Doha was a Boeing 777-300 which feature the Q suites. The second leg from Doha to Phuket was Boeing 787-800 a small place which had the normal pod comparable to different airlines. The cabin crew on both flights were nice, friendly and polite. They were giving an excellent service. The meals were delicious and there was a wide selection of drinks of all kinds. The washrooms were spacious, shiny and clean. The Q suite is simply amazing with a lot of space and with privacy and is very comfortable. In flying entertainment was great too with a huge selection of movies offered in different languages. I enjoyed it every minute of the flight. Transiting in Doha airport is fine. You can spend your time by checking the duty free or see the lamp teddy bear or take a rest in quiet section of the airport. Overall Qatar Airways is known to exceed the travellers expectations. Despite difficult work conditions and different work culture compare to the occident the staff is great. There's no doubt why this airline is one of the best in the industry. It may not be the cheapest option to travel but this airline is better than other airlines mainly because of its product and its staff from check in to the cabin crew and from the transfer desk staff to the arrival agents.

Date of travel: April 2022
1  Thank bobgianna
Reviewed 24 May 2022

Recently flow Qatar Airways from London to Kuala Lumpur and back, with a short stop over in Doha. This review is mainly for the return, i.e. KUL to LHR part of the journey

The good
Crew were all pleasant and professional on all flights

I found the food to be good with good choice of non alcoholic and some alcoholic drinks

Additional pretzels were available, sadly no crisps

Seats were clean, and as expected

The Not so good
When the flights are very full, I think the toilets suffer and could perhaps do with a more regular clean.

The toilet bin would be better served with a foot pedal to open

The toilet door would be better if it was a simple push instead of turn and open

The provision of sanitising hand gel outside the toilet would be welcomed, so travellers can re clean their hands once they have closed the toilet door

Did not notice any paper toilet seat covers or toilet seat sanitisers– would be good to have these

The toilet lights did not always turn red in the cabin when in use

The perfume spray in the toilet did not help mask the smell – given that the flight was full. I asked one of the crew if they had any air fresheners or something, Was told that it was only what was in the toilet already, did not get the hint that perhaps more cleaning was necessary. Needless to say I had to go hunting for another toilet, as this one was really bad.

Touch Screen was a little bit “sticky” making it not as seamless

Boarding was slow and chaotic, ground staff were “calling / shouting” out row numbers instead of just using the PA systems in Kuala Lumpur

Check in in Kuala Lumpur was extremely slow perhaps more counters are needed

Not enough seating in Doha airport outside the gate – would be better if gates could be opened earlier so people can get seats

Ground staff in Doha and KL were ok – but not as professional as crew in general. They were not bad, but could do with some better communication and efficiency training

App is slow, does not update well when flight changes are made, making online checking in almost impossible. Also app does not send all details to to calendar automatically

Overall this is an ok airline and much of a muchness, it definitely does not live up to the hype. There is room from improvement so it can actually live up to the hype. To be worlds best airline, there needs to be slightly above levels of consideration to all classes of travel, cleanliness of toilets in long haul being key I would think.

2  Thank mppalmer
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.