“Good experience”
Review of Qantas

Reviewed 13 October 2019

Went from Melbourne to Tokyo with 2 young kids (9 months and 4yo). Got allocated seat with baby bassinet at the front row. The seat setting on the plane is 2-4-2. Baby bassinet is attached to the front wall, in front of the 4 seats. However, since we paid for 3 seats (9 months old baby doesn't have allocated seat), we only get 2 seats in the middle and 1 seat on the left. This is to allow other family with baby (if any) to use the other baby bassinet on the other side of the 4 seats.

My seat on the left is also the seat that people gets when they paid for extra leg room.

Flying with baby bassinet is an added convenience. There is no way the baby is going to stay sleeping there for the duration of the flight (that's just a silly daydream), but it's nice to have a place we can put the baby when she's actually sleeping.

The bassinet can be flattened back to the wall when not used. We had to do this during take off and landing.

Flight attendance are more than helpful. They went extra mile to help us with anything we need and beyond. Without we ask, they went offering toys, water and other help throughout the journey.

On the other side, we also did our part to do everything in our power to keep the kids "peaceful", to minimise the trouble they might cause other passengers. When baby was crying, my wife and I took turn to hold bub, walking around until she called down or fell asleep (our baby fell asleep much easier when cuddled while walking around).

The only inevitable crying was during take off and landing. We were not allowed to use baby bassinet and we couldn't offer toys for the baby because our cabin bags had to be stored in the upper compartments. That resulted in dramatic crying. We learned our lesson to always prepare toy/distractions for our baby that remains on our hands when all our bags are stored away.

We love flying with Qantas and will always consider it as our first option when we plan a trip. This experience makes it even stronger as the top airline in our list.

Date of travel: July 2019
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
3  Thank Robert S
Write a reviewReviews (19,750)

Reviewed 13 October 2019 via mobile

Qantas would do well to either train their staff to avoid walking into people or to introduce a health and fitness program. The steward knocked my shoulder EVERY time she walked past. To put it in perspective I'm a slim guy and not a single passenger bumped me.
The vegan meal was also unfortunate being a tray of cous cous with little more than a garnish of veges.

1  Thank Stephen_Alas
Reviewed 13 October 2019

I use Qantas because they are normally reliable to get you to your destination in time. On the out leg flight ended up being delayed for 3 hours. No apologies. Got on the flight for the next two hours. Served some rice crackers.

Return flight same thing. Explanation was mechanicle issues. Overall on a 2 day business trip over 6 hours extra sat on the seats in the waiting lounge to depart. No apologies. Meetings missed. No compensation. Shame the competition is not much better.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Deepskisam
Reviewed 13 October 2019 via mobile

Was booked onto the 11.45am flight from Melbourne to Auckland. Check in very laid back. Having had my hand luggage weighed by Jet star that morning and checked into the hold I expected that again but no I took it onto the aircraft. The seats were comfortable with your own iPad to view films etc on. Meal time for me was a disaster! I don’t eat meat so ordered a vegetarian meal. What arrived was a vegan meal which I didn’t realise until I started to eat it. I spoke to the stewardess giving out the main meals but was told I would have to wait until everyone else had been served before she could give me another meal. My husband had the vegetarian option which was ravioli which tasted great. The meals that were left at the end of service were beef which I don’t eat so apart from the rice crackers that were offered to me which I declined all I had was bread and a mouthful of my husbands meal.
How can anyone possibly confuse vegetarian and vegan? It would have caused even more problems maybe if I’d said pescatarian which I am!!
What was a good flight was spoilt for me by being served the wrong meal.

2  Thank easylacer
Reviewed 13 October 2019 via mobile

Flying a red eye from Western Australia to Eastern Australia and offered a muffin and juice for breakfast. Lame food from Qantas and ‘Neil Perry’ @neilperry an Australian ‘chef’ for business class passengers claiming a ‘completely personalized dining experience.‘

3  Thank Traveller4170
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.