“Disappointing”
Review of Malaysia Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have flown twice yearly with Malaysian Airlines for over 20 years and up until this last trip would not fly with any other airline. This last trip was very disappointing in they’re wisdom they have changed aircraft on this flight from a airbus 380 to a airbus 350 900 although a brand new aircraft I think it is totally unsuitable for long haul flights. The gangways are the smallest I’ve seen you bump into most seats on the way to the toilets and when you get there they are reduced size.the food quality has deteriorated over the last few years and a real sore point with me is they very rarely take off on time. We paid extra for our seats for more leg room and this was good decision.

1  Thank David G
Write a ReviewReviews (5,551)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The airline operator was actually Maswings, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines set up to operate flights intra East Malaysia using a combination of the ATR-72 and the Viking Twin Otter. This particular flight operated with the ATR-72. It was smooth, quick (only 40 minutes) and hassle free because this is a domestic Sarawak flight. Service is fair with juice and peanuts offered despite the brevity of the flight. Boarding and disembarkation was hassle free and the view was fantastic since the aircraft flew at only 10,000 feet above the ground.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I bought a very cheap economy return ticket to Phnom Penh. A few weeks before my flight Malaysia Airlnes send me some offers to upgrade on the different legs of my flight, which I didn't accept. They send me some more while I was traveling.Just before my return flight I accepted their very low offer to upgrade to bussines class on my last leg to Brisbane. Passing thru KL I evaded long queues at passport controle and spend extra time in the golden lounge enjoying my breakfast and anything else for free..The seat/bed was very comfortable in the plane and I arrivved fairly refreshed in Brisbane. Being not a big drinker or eater I most sparingly did partake of food and drink ,what I tasted was very delicious.

Date of travel: October 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I can't believe this is a full-service airline! They made us pay extra to choose our seats, then later moved us to the back of the plane. When queried, they said we can get our seats back, but will have to pay more, then said we'd risk losing wheelchair-assistance for our 2 elderly passengers if we chose to do so. Shameful!

We booked return flights months ago for 4 of us, to travel from Kuala Lumpur to Sandakan for 24-28Nov and called Malaysia Airlines (MAS) directly to seek advice and book seats as 2 passengers are elderly and need wheel-chair assistance. The guy I spoke to advised MAS would provide free seating for the 2 elderly passengers close to the front of the plane (2-3 rows away from business class) so the old ladies would not have to walk far to get to their seats upon boarding. For the remaining 2 passengers to be seated with these 2 elderly passengers, we had to pay extra to book our seats, and so we did.

However, yesterday (days before we're scheduled to fly), we received an email saying MAS has changed our seats from the front of the plane to the very back (row 26). I called MAS to check where the skybridge is and where passengers board the plane, and they confirmed we will be entering the plane from the front. Shockingly, it seems these 2 elderly people, needing wheelchair assistance, will have to enter the plane from the front and walk to the back of the plane to get to their seats.
According to the MAS supervisor named Nori, they have assigned them these seats so that they will be nearer to the toilets at the back of the plane. But wouldn't there be toilets closer to the front of the plane as well? Besides, our 2 elderly people will be using adult diapers and will have no need for the toilets, which we told the MAS supervisor. Realistically, what we need most is a seat requiring minimal walking instead!

Considering these are elderly people, and since you can't push a wheelchair through the narrow aisles of the plane, they will have to walk a very long way from the front entrance to the very back of the plane! To think we paid extra for our initial seats, only to be moved at the mercy of the airlines.

We brought this issue up with the MAS supervisor and were told that we could get our initial seats back, but would have to pay even more. Plus, we would have to cancel the wheelchair assistance booking for us to get seats closer to the front, AND can only request for wheelchair assistance at the check-in counter on the day itself - meaning we run the risk of having no wheelchair assistance at all!

Not surprisingly, the initial staff I spoke to refused to give her name as she knew I was recording the conversation. When I asked to speak with her supervisor instead, she insisted her supervisor was at a meeting and wanted me to call back in an hour. Considering our phone call was at 11am on a Saturday, this was a rather strange time for a meeting. When pressed further, she eventually connected me to Nori, her supervisor.

In the end, since they threatened that insisted on the seats we paid for near the front of the plane would incur further fees, PLUS might risk our elderly passengers losing their wheelchair assistance, we had no choice but to give in to their insistence that we stay in Row 26. Very disappointing and shocking.

2  Thank Raisin1989
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Malaysia Airlines should take note of the ongoing cleanup of GLCs (Government Linked Corporations) in the country after the recent change in Government. The airline's performance is definitely on the downward slide. On time performance is questionable. The standard of crew is unfortunately poor. Some of them struggle to make a decent announcement in English (and this on international flights). Toilets are not cleaned on long flights. Most often they start being filthy and smelly within the first hour or so. Just look at airlines of neighbouring countries and the way they perform. Some of them started much later than Malaysia Airlines and have grown by leap and bounds. One does not even have to look further than Air Asia or Malindo.
Please pull up your socks as Malaysians love their national airline and look upon it with a sense of pride and belonging. It would be a shame to lose this national icon.

2  Thank murthir