“Good stewards but TERRIBLE international customer care.”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 13 August 2022

The flights in and of themselves were just fine. However, they can't figure out their bagage system software wise. We paid for extra baggage in advance, but during check in at the return flight, they required us to pay AGAIN because they couldn't find out baggage purchase in their system. I showed them the receipt, but they were unable to aid us without purchasing the extra baggage again on top, and this time the price was 4 times as much....
They told me to file for a refund, but now they refuse to refund it, saying we purchased 2x extra baggage. You don't f.ing say!
Complete amateurs, and customer care are not sufficient enough in English to understand this.... they are even arrogant and rude even though i approached them with utmost respect. Never choosing KLM again, simply for their backing backbone. Again, flight crew and experience was fine. Literally everything else is a mess, and their website and costumer care system is aweful.

Date of travel: August 2022
KLM_Royal_Dutch1, Social Media Representative at KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2022

I'm glad our service has left a good impression on you especially our flight crew, although I regret to learn of the series of unfortunate events you went through about your baggage and I truly understand how frustrating this must have been. For the possibilities of a refund, please note that as much as I would like to address this matter, you would be better served by our colleagues. I kindly advise you to contact us through our social media channels (Messenger, Twitter, WhatsApp, or WeChat) so our colleagues can assist you immediately and accordingly. There may be instances wherein my colleagues may take some time to get back to you due to high volumes, but they always do. I sincerely apologize as it is never our intention to displease or inconvenience you in any way. I thank you for your time, and hope that, despite the nuances, you will still consider us for your future travels so that we may be able to serve you better.

Write a reviewReviews (32,124)

Reviewed 13 August 2022

On August 4, 2022, I attempted to purchase two 1 way tickets along with 2 seat upgrades on the KLM website. I did not receive a confirmation and booking code for the tickets so I called the KLM helpdesk. After much delay and some additional wasted time waiting for a response on the WhatsAPP help desk component, I finally talked with a representative who told me that the charges for the tickets did not go through and that I should rebook the tickets.
I then rebooked the 2 tickets and seat upgrades on Expedia on August 8th as I had lost confidence in the KLM site. I did receive a booking confirmation for this.
On August 12th, I noticed that the charges for the supposedly failed August 4th booking were now on my credit card along with the later charges from Expedia.
I made several calls at that point to the KLM customer site. Each call involved a long delay before talking to someone. The delay was frustrating as well as the advice I was given on those calls. On 1 of the calls I was given another number to call which turned out to be a US number for Delta. Another call referred me to a KLM office in Germany. One call resulted in a suggestion that I email KLM to ask for a refund which I did but then realized that all that was being offered as refundable was the fees and taxes portion of the tickets. On another call I was finally given a booking code for the original purchase but when I went on the KLM site to see that booking, the code was not recognized by the system. Just today I called again and after waiting through multiple prompts was finally told the call center was closed. That should be the first piece of information shared, not the last. This was absolutely the worst customer service experience I have ever had

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. Our passenger's experience is very important to us; hence we make it a point to monitor the feedback we're receiving regarding our services; however, I cannot interfere with the decisions made by our Refunds Department. But for further clarifications, you can always reach my colleagues through our social media channels (Messenger, Twitter, WhatsApp, or WeChat). Please be aware that the reply may take longer due to high volumes. Nevertheless, I offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and I hope this experience won't dissuade you from using our services again.

Reviewed 12 August 2022

Three times I was almost forced to fly with KLM due to lack if availability of flights and in all three experiences my baggage was absolutely destroyed. The staff were dismissive of the damage and when contacted their customer support, they did not reply to me for weeks, only to get back to me with a generic dismissive answer. I would rather completely cancel a travel than taking a KLM flight

2  Thank HEA1121
KLM_Royal_Dutch1, Social Media Representative at KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2022

I regret to read about your unpleasant experience. We work hard to ensure that our passengers' baggage is properly handled, and it's unfortunate this was not the case during your travel. However, as much as I would like to address this matter, you will be better served by my colleagues via our social media channels (Messenger, WhatsApp, Twitter, or WeChat). Kindly provide them the link of our discussion here in TripAdvisor so that our Representative can look into it at as well and further assist you.

Nevertheless, I extend our apologies for any inconvenience this experience has caused you. Thank you and safe travels.

Reviewed 11 August 2022

It’s my first time flying KLM, and it’s gonna be the last time ever. My flight was delayed for over 7 hours, and then my luggage containing my house and car keys and my medication was also missing. I have been trying to contact customer service to no avail.

Date of travel: August 2022

I regret to read that your flights with us were delayed and that your luggage is missing. I understand how inconvenient this has been for you. As delays are unavoidable at times due to a myriad of possible factors, these are never intentional as to cause you or any of our passengers any inconvenience. In any case, however, our primary consideration will always be your safety. Regarding your luggage, I kindly advise you to contact us through our social media channels (Messenger, Twitter, WhatsApp, or WeChat) so our colleagues can assist you immediately and accordingly. Nevertheless, I offer our sincere apologies and wish you well in all your future travels.

Reviewed 11 August 2022

I flew KLM from Lisbon to Johannesburg on 17 December 2021, I Arrived in Johannesburg, and my bag was totally destroyed. It had been broken into, and the zipper and handle completely ripped off. I made a claim immediately at the airport which was easy, the agent saw physically the bag and issued the claim document. That's when my saga started; while sending all documents to KLM, the customer service staff were unhelpful, didn't reply immediately to my messages, and asked to see pictures of my bag, which I didn't take the time. The moral of the story, I have not flown KLM or intend to book with them due to the lack of respect and customer service. By the way, the price of compensation I have declared was between 50 to 100 Euro. I guess for them is worth losing a customer. I have not had the time to even reopen this case, but I would like to leave my review here for other customers; beware, take pictures and keep evidence.

Date of travel: December 2021
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

I regret to read about what you have experienced with your baggage. I truly understand how frustrating this must have been. We work hard to ensure our passengers receive their baggage in good condition, and, unfortunately, this was not the case during your travel. Please note that as much as I would like to address this matter, you would be better served by our colleagues. I kindly advise you to contact us through our social media channels (Messenger, Twitter, WhatsApp, or WeChat) so our colleagues can assist you immediately and accordingly regarding your damaged baggage. You can also file a claim through Customer Care on our website. Please be aware that the reply may take longer due to high volumes. Rest assured that my Customer Care colleagues handle each case individually and carefully. They will contact you directly for further handling of your case in due time. I appreciate your patience and I hope that, despite what occurred, you will still consider us for your future travels so that we may be able to serve you better.

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.