“Overbooked and left in Amsterdam...no compensation...”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 5 July 2022

Refused to let me board due to overbooking.
Left me at AMS for another 7 hours.
Caused a lot of troubles for me at my destination.
Promised me compensation.
Refuse to pay for almost 3 months now.

Date of travel: April 2022
    • Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
KLM_Royal_Dutch1, Social media representative at KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I understand the frustration of having an overbooked flight, but please know that we do all we can to accommodate everyone. For compensation concerns, you can always contact my colleagues through our social media channels (Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp). Thank you, and safe travels.

Write a reviewReviews (31,985)

Reviewed 5 July 2022

I had arrived on June 22nd late night by KLM 877 from Amsterdam. Total 4 bags ie 2 wifes and 2 Daughters came 2 days late. They had to purchase essiential clothes too for the two days. When we received our bags we noticed that goods worth $ 600 was stolen ie perfumes, Nuts, T shirts, Kitchen items, ladies purses, choclates etc were stolen. The irony is when we arrive in mumbai airport a report is made but no file reference number is provided. I had uploaded all the info to the website missing bags and items stolen to KLM website request number C-5157547 .No response yet. I had to If I call Mumbai airport KLM they donot pick up the phone. . Since mmy eralier flight was delta I chatted with delta rep and he was courteous enough to provide me the file reference number which was - BOMKL15724.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank siddarth R

I regret to learn of what happened with your luggage. I understand how frustrating it must have been for you. Rest assured that Customer care will review your file and get back to you as soon as possible with their decision. Please be aware that the reply may take longer than usual due to unforeseen high volumes. Despite what occurred, I hope you'll still consider KLM for your future travel.

Reviewed 5 July 2022

Flew all the way from Australia for a hiking trip in UK which we’ve been looking forward to for two years. After a pretty shabby flight topped off with sitting on the tarmac for two hours because there was no bus (really), I discover that my bag is missing. I know first world problem but 3 days in now and no advice from klm. All my hiking gear and boots gone so will need to go and buy replacements tomorrow, hopefully I get reimbursed..can’t get any advice or update from KLM.

Date of travel: July 2022
1  Thank FR060474

I regret to learn of your unfortunate experience with your luggage. Delays may sometimes be unavoidable, but we work around the clock to trace them and return them to passengers when they occur To further assist you, I kindly invite you to contact my colleagues via any of our Social Media channels (Messenger, WhatsApp, Twitter, or WeChat) and provide your booking information so that proper attention may be given to this. In the meantime, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.

Reviewed 5 July 2022

2 flights cancelled and rescheduled in one week. No compensation offered whatsoever. Now I’m worried about my next flight which I booked with klm before this, when I still thought they were a decent company. On board experience was passable, entertainment actually good.

Date of travel: June 2022
KLM_Royal_Dutch1, Social Media Representative at KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I regret to read that your flights were cancelled and rescheduled. I understand how inconvenient this must have been. As cancellations are unavoidable at times due to a myriad of possible factors, these are never intentional as to cause you or any of our passengers any inconvenience. In any case, however, our primary consideration will always be your safety. Please know that you can always contact us through our social media channels (Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp) for further assistance. With that said, I thank you for your time, and hope that, despite the unfortunate experience, you will still consider us for your future flights.

Reviewed 4 July 2022 via mobile

Worst travel experience ever! Very stressful from start to finish. Delta partners with KLM but does not promote them, because they are the worst! We had to be rerouted through Paris because Amsterdam was a mess. The following day KLM gave us new itinerary but it was the exact same itinerary as the day before, only they wanted to charge us an additional $3000 for the change? That was a scam! After two full days in the airport, they gave us the itinerary we requested through Paris but we were on standby and not confirmed. After hours of excruciating frustration, we managed to get on a redeye flight to Paris for a short layover. It was impossible to make our connection with not enough time for getting our boarding passes printed ( we were told our flights were canceled). Then they saw we were confirmed. Then after long security checks, we missed the flight to Venice. Had to get new boarding passes for the next flight, 2 hours later. The way home was the same way. Even though the itinerary was sent, we couldn't check in online and every single flight/connection we were told that we were not confirmed but then they would *work on it* and we did have legitimate tickets. It stressed us out during the trip as well, if we would be on standby or canceled! It was a complete nightmare. This is the short version. And customer service was super lame. They didn't answer the phone most of the time. We spent hours on hold on separate phones trying to get help. They promised us flights and sent itinerary that never transpired, even though we waited at the airport for those flights (4 in all at Detroit just to get started). Our daughter and husband are stationed overseas and it costed us 3 days of our trip visiting them. One customer service rep laughed and was very snarky after I was up for 48 hours straight trying to get help to figure this out. What I learned is don't book with KLM and always book direct with a reputable airline even if it costs more. Totally disgusted!!! Very unprofessional customer service.

1  Thank 514susiw

I regret to learn that your experience didn't proceed as expected. KLM values the overall satisfaction of every passenger, and please don't feel disregarded because of this experience. Rest assured that we will use this feedback to improve our services further. I hope this experience won't dissuade you from using our services again.

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.