“Arrived late, awful check in, same awful sandwiches”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 23 May 2022 via mobile

Saturday 21st May and we were travelling on KLM flight KL1040 to Amsterdam where we are due to catch our connecting flight to Bristol.

We were scheduled to depart at 16.50 and arriving at 20.00 a scheduled flight of 3 hours and 10 minutes (Netherlands is an hour ahead of the UK

While sitting in the airport with two and half hours before departure, we received, via the App, notification of a 30 minute delay. We were informed of a new expected departure time of 17.20

The reality is that the flight was boarded at 17.30 and the aircraft pushed back from the stand at 17.40 and we were finally airborne at 17.51 which was 61 minutes later than scheduled.

The Captain apologised for the delay due to operational issues at Schiphol Airport. He also informed passengers that the flying time would be two and a half hours.

About 20 minutes into the flight we were offered a sandwich, which we declined as on our outward flight the sandwiches were rather awful, so we just had a beer.

The seating was comfortable enough with reasonable legroom. KLM cabin crew are normally charming and helpful, on this occasion the crew member we thought was a bit overpowering.

Before we landed the Captain did announce, that although the flight was delayed landing, he had received from his colleagues on the ground that all flight connections were achievable.

We landed at 20.25 which was twenty-five minutes later than scheduled.

The check-in process was laborious taking at least 45 minutes, unacceptable for a scheduled Airline.

Date of travel: May 2022
KLM_Royal_Dutch1, Social media representative at KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2022

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. It's unfortunate to read of the delay that you have experienced as well as the check-in process at the airport being less than ideal. Ensuring a smooth trip is important to us, and I can understand that this was not how you expected your journey to go. Rest assured that this feedback would be used to improve our services. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 May 2022

Imagine this ... you travel Warsaw-Amsterdam, your flight is at 6am. You arrive to the airport at 4 am and you are surprised that there is a 200 - 300 meters long line to check-in. ... so, no other choice, you wait in the line. 1h 50 min passes, you are still far from checking in your luggage. It's almost 6 am and still there are a lot of people in front of you. But you think ... crew see that there are a lot of people that didn't check-in yet, plane will wait for us. You think ... It's not our fault that there is clearly not enough crew to handle such an amount of people checking in. And then SURPRISE - captain decides to leave Warsaw without waiting for more than 30 people!!!!! What is more - people that checked-in their luggage, but were stuck on the security check, don't have their luggage anymore because it's on the plane!!!! The reaction of the crew, priceless, it's not our fault - deal with it!!!! Really? Thank you to the captain that ruined our holidays, business trips. Thank you to the crew to not taking care of us properly. Very disappointing.

1  Thank kamilmT3546ES

I appreciate that you shared a comprehensive feedback despite your disappointment with our services. There were unavoidable circumstances but please know that its never our intention to inconvenience you or any of our passengers. Please feel free to reach out to us for any concern or feedback that you may have. You can reach us by phone or via our social media channels. Thank you and I apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced.

Reviewed 22 May 2022

Flights were comfortable and cabin crews were nice. Food was above average. I took 3 KLM flights in the course of my trip. 2 were over 3 hours late. When flying from Glasgow to Amsterdam the flight was so late I missed my Delta connection to Seatle.
The line to rebook was very long -I am slightly disabled and was using wheelchair assistance-the assistant who was helping me said she had to go and abandoned me there. Finally got to the head of the line, after the agent said he was having problems rebooking me, he discovered that Delta had already rebooked me for the next day. I asked about a room for the night - he had no idea. Finally found (on my own) a wheelchair assistant. The assistant asked a supervisor, who also had no idea about getting a room. I was a premium customer so I asked to be taken to the lounge. The woman at the lounge was very helpful and booked me a nearby room, but said I would have to apply on line for repayment. My KLM flight the next day was also 3 hours late - luckily I had 6 hour layover and made my connecting flight. The ground crew seemed completely at a loss how to help me.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

I am glad to read that you liked our cabin crews as well as the food on board despite your disappointment with the delay you have experienced. What you had experienced at the airport was frustrating but please know that its never our intention to displease you or inconvenience you in any way. I hope this experience won't dissuade you in using our services again in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2022

As a “premium” airline. KLM has turned into an absolute garbage airline. They’re customer support is non existing, if you even manage to get a hold of someone, they can’t help you or don’t even know the answer.

I have always been a fan, but something has changed.

From now on I will do my best to avoid having to fly with this company. The fact that you pay a premium an the airline does not offer customer service is a disgrace.

If you can fly with someone else!

Get a grip KLM

1  Thank Excursion23971850633

I appreciate that you shared a comprehensive feedback despite your disappointment with our services. There are unavoidable circumstances but please know that its never our intention to inconvenience you or any of our passengers. It is also not our intention that you were not properly informed and replied to via our customer support channels during that time. There may be instances wherein our colleagues may take some time to get back to you due to high volumes but they always do. Nevertheless, I'm extending my apologies for any inconvenience this experience has caused you. Thank you and safe travels.

Reviewed 22 May 2022

When we land in Amsterdam, they tell us they purposely didn't load our luggage because there are staffing shortages and it would have delayed our flight 45 minutes.

They said they'd keep us updated about our baggage (put a pin in that, we'll revisit).

I get to my transfer gate. I ask about the status. They tell me my luggage had been boarded. When I get to my final destination, I had to wait TWO hours for nothing. And I had to do that behind customs (so I couldn't even wait outside with my family). There were other KLM passengers. A couple from my flight and another from a different origin.

None of us received updates. And because we had waited so long, all KLM representatives had left the airport. I had been awake for 20 hours at this point. This is not just bad customer service, it's disrespectful that no one bothered to update us.

I understand problems arise, but when you don't communicate like you say you will it honestly is the same Ryanair trickery. Another couple had booked a car (I hope they got it because I saw all those rental offices closed on my way out and you can sometimes get charged the full amount for failure to appear).
I also have a friend in Berlin who had her flight cancelled two years ago with Ryanair and still has not received her money back.
I'm on Whatsapp with customer support and they tell me I first have to make a lost baggage report (PIR) before they can help me. The KLM website is not allowing me to complete it for some unknown reason.

People don't like Ryanair trickery when they're checking in because it's last minute surprises and charges. If you're just honest from the beginning, people understand and can make plans. So if I don't receive ANY communication at any step, it is still costing me and others time and money. If you just...stop responding and don't refund, why should we continue to book with you? It's aggravating and deceitful.

All I would have liked was an accurate answer at the gate, or an intercom announcement at my final destination, or a bloody email at any point during those 18 hours. But now I'm jetlagged, up at 5am, but having to wait until 8am to call a human person.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank MidAtlanticLizzy

I regret to learn of this unfortunate experience. To further assist you, I kindly invite you to contact my colleagues via any of our Social Media channels (Messenger, WhatsApp, Twitter, or WeChat) and provide your booking information so that proper attention may be given to this. In the meantime, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.