“My favorite long-haul airline”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 17 August 2017

KLM is my favorite full-service intercontinental airline. Their cabin service is invariably excellent - attentive without being intrusive. Food and entertainment are generally excellent. Their new business-class seats are comfortable for sitting and sleeping, with 2-2-2 configuration. Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam is the best transit airport in Europe. And when flying from the States to East or Southern Africa via Europe, KLM is the only way to avoid a day-long layover. However, they lose a star because their website has been deteriorating. For example, on this trip it could not handle a multi-destination (open-jaw) itinerary.

There are newer reviews for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 17 August 2017

After many years of using Gulf carries, I've rediscovered how wonderful it is to once more fly with a legacy carrier like KLM, where the art of flying has been learnt over the past 80 or so years. Efficient, classy and no nonsense service, my last 4 long haul segments on KLM have been pure joy. Pleasant crew members that actually seem to like what they do for a living and work as a cohesive unit rather than 20 people brought together from 20 different countries that don't know each other and can't function as a unit on a 7 hour flight.

Unlike the new comers of recent years, what I love about being on a KLM flight is that they don't spend the first 20 minutes of the flight telling you how wonderful THEY are, that they've come first once more in some unknown ranking system, that their crew on that particular flight can speak 10 different language...etc.

The food service on all my recent flights was very good and the presentation was authentically Dutch and charming. Salt and pepper comes in little red clogs, serving dishes all have the beautiful blue colors of Delft china. What a breath of fresh air to not have to see for the 100th time square institutional plates.

Last but not least, I would rather spend my time at Amsterdam's Schiphzl airport (which incidentally has just been remodeled) than overcrowded Gulf gateways.

This is the way fly should be. KLM is my new chosen carrier.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Appalling experience. Journey took 33 hours in total! three flights cancelled causing severe delays. Staff couldn't give a fig - very unhelpful.
No explanations, no apology
Back in UK trying to get compensation as per EU rules - they do not answer the phone, no reply to 6 emails or to a registered letter to their Chief Executive!!! (automated response says they are inundated with complaints!)
They flaunt "customer service" but have no idea what it means - AVOID THIS AIRLINE AT ALL COSTS. Unreliable and incompetent from the CEO down.
Dreadful uncaring incompetent company

Reviewed 17 August 2017

I took a flight with KLM from Aberdeen / Amsterdam / Singapore. As always the plane itself was very clean and the service, in my humble opinion was impeccable. What I really like is how natural the staff are. Exceptionally friendly, smiling, talkative and always willing to provide the best service. I know it's part of their job, but it seems that the team just really enjoy what they do.

I have never really had a bad flight with KLM, short or long haul and I hope that continues. In the meantime, keep up the great work boys and girls, your attitude and professionalism is what keeps me coming back.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Everything was organized for our 10th wedding anniversary in Venice. It was just one night away so cabin luggage is all we needed BUT at the check-in it was insisted we put it in the hold because of a full flight (annoying but not a disaster), however...

There was ample space in the cabin (irritating), but of course let's be reasonable we'll only wait 10 minutes in Venice at the baggage claim...however...

No sign of the luggage, they managed to leave it in Amsterdam - thanks!

So what happened next? We never received the luggage in spite of (no doubt) several flights from Amsterdam to Venice in the next 12 - 24 hours or so. I guess KLM thought it too costly/difficult/complex to ensure we (customers of KLM) had our clothes, toiletries, essential items for our special weekend.

Thanks for not caring, not trying, not giving a sh#t...and making me feel like some sort of criminal upon picking the bag up at Venice airport upon our departure back home to England...together with the same underwear as we had the day before and yellow teeth. Happy anniversary darling!

Sadly I am a regular customer of KLM (thanks for the same sandwich on every trip I make too) I wonder how they treat everyone else?