“JAL - Need to grow up if you want to be in the Top 5”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 27 November 2022

Let me start first by giving credit to JAL in operating long distance 787 with 2 -4 -2 configurations.. This definitely gets rid of at least 2 most dreaded middle seats.
Checkin agents did a great job and when they shifted as gate agents, they were equally impressive that the whole boarding process took about 20 mins ( with about 95% occupancy on the flight).
The worst part was with the catering ..
1. I had ordered an oriental vegetarian meal and both the meals were served with just steamed rice and steamed vegetables .. NO condiments.. SERIOUSLY JAL.. Not even pepper and salt which are staple in the cutlery pack.. Cost cutting on salt and pepper? No sauce to add or mix in!!
2. The other passengers (who opted for regular meals) were served ice cream and when I asked for one, the flight attendant did give a “serious knee jerk reaction) that she pulled the tray away from her ( as if I was snatching it)( and said that it was for other passengers and I cannot be given one. ..Appalling service and training from JAL!!!
3. Later I saw all unused ice creams being dumped into trash while standing in the galley area. (.. JAL can’t you ask for a second serving if some PAX want it or keep it in the so called snack bar that you operate like done in British Airways.( note my 2nd point above, you did not serve one to someone who asked for it ).
4. The so called self serve snack bar had a packet of potato crackers - smallest potato chips I’ve ever seen and may be in the count of 10 -1 5 of them.. What is the purpose of this ?

I think JAL is very contended in staying out the top league ( while its National competitor is stepping on the gas every notch).
If you ever think of ordering Vegetarian Oriential meal, be prepared to eat steamed rice and steamed vegetables ( like some monks do)..

I’m traveling NRT - SFO tomorrow and this time I’ve switched to a different offering..Waiting to see what’s in store !!

Time for JAL to grow up!!!

1  Thank Madhan_g

Reviewed 27 November 2022

So as a taller guy at 6’4” I’ll take all the extra legroom I can get. The seats were comfy and I had plenty of legroom which was nice! The service was excellent as the attendants came around with miso soup green tea and coffee which was a nice touch. But now for the not so good. My wife and I agreed that this was some of the worst airline food we had ever eaten in all the years of flying. It was consistently bad on all four of our legs from Seattle to Bangkok.

I’d fly again just for the extra legroom but because of the food, JAL is a notch lower than EVA.

1  Thank petesT7072VX
Reviewed 24 November 2022

I have been flying with almost all the hairlines in the last 25 years
economy, Business class and few times in first class but this airline by far the best airline ever traveled . I am very impressed with the flight attendants they put their heart to help passengers and keep the airplane tidy and clean , hope all airline follow japan airline in the future.

1  Thank sisal08
Reviewed 20 November 2022

When PAL canceled our flight home--and Expedia was no help--we bought a ticket on JAL. The only thing which could possibly have been better was the pod seating on the Boeing 787 (too tight, limited choice of seat positions). The food was better than any Japanese restaurant (that we can afford) in the SF Bay Area USA, the flight attendants were the model of Japanese care and dignity--and you knew everyone was diligent and competent in all they did. The business class lounge in Narita is huge and seems to offer anything you could need. In the future, I will spring for JAL even if it costs extra. It's worth the money.

Reviewed 19 November 2022

I have been spoiled after this flight. The flight crew was amazing, the food spectacular and I slept 7.5 hours of the flight. I was so impressed that I just booked JAL again for next October.

• Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.