“The worst customer experience - Call Centre ineptitude”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 28 July 2022

If you actually manage to get onto a flight that has not changed or been cancelled then well done !! The service onboard is one of the best in the air.

HOWEVER.... if you are one of the countless victims of JAL's flight changing / cancellations (or worse, you need to contact the call center) then it is one of the worst customer experience you will have.

I had flights to Tokyo and then a domestic connection within Japan. Out of the blue I receive an unclear email that states the flights have changed, the departure time and date are the same but the arrival times (on a direct flight) have changed and the connections are now misaligned leaving me stuck. The website was not functioning properly and so I was forced to call the call centre during the slim daily window in which they operate. This is where the issues started... nobody EVER answers,

Unfortunately due to the fact that I had a meeting I had to abandon my attempt and getting any information after a mere 90 minutes in the call center queue, listening to the same loop of music and the same condescending voice "All of our agents are busy, please wait for the next available agent or call back later" - the really galling part is every so often I hear a beep on the line where somebody is there but not answering.

Even though I travel to Japan regularly I will really think long and hard before ever choosing JAL again, they really have let themselves down with their appalling customer service, no callback service, no estimated wait time NOTHING...

• Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank andycL8589WE
Write a reviewReviews (9,208)

Reviewed 17 July 2022

JAL threw my autistic daughter (and wife) off the flight after screaming at her to "shut up" when she didn't want to wear a seatbelt, and are currently refusing to pay the legally required compensation - their UK help line requires about 2 hours of being on hold each time you call and you end up needing to wait for a callback even for the simplest thing.

2  Thank 899malcolmr
Reviewed 16 July 2022

I flew from London Heathrow to Tokyo Haneda. Due to the closure of Russian airspace the flight was slightly longer than usual, but even this 13-hour flight was surprisingly pleasant thanks to Japan Airlines’s incredible service, food and entertainment. I am a regular customer with JAL and never have I been disappointed. The crew were professional, polite and helpful, the food was more delicious than you’d expect from an economy class product on a flight and the selection of entertainment was more than enough to keep you entertained for the flight. Two full meals and two snacks (ice cream and dorayaki - this seems to be standard on Japan Airlines).
On the other hand, the seats are quite firm and perhaps a bit uncomfortable to move around in on a 13-hour flight - JAL appears to use the same seats on its longest international flights as well as its shorter domestic flights…Plenty of legroom though and seats are very wide. Recline is also somewhat good.
I’d definitely recommend Japan Airlines to you if you’re travelling from Europe to Japan. Compared to BA and ANA that I’ve also flown with to Japan, JAL seems to be the best in economy class.

Reviewed 13 July 2022

JAL has changed my trip without any notice and I could not check any changes on their website. My husband had to call on JAL call center to get the latest flight information. JAL gave us a 26-hour layover in Vancouver Airport instead of 3 hours as before and also another transit airport between Halifax and Vancouver with more than 4 waiting hours in Toronto. The call center guy of JAL in North America also has a very negative attitude when checking flights or options for us. He asked me to call WestJet to check and changed flights instead of working himself. However, we are not WetJet's customers, we pay the whole trip money to JAL. The call center guy told me that "How do I know if I do not try to call WestJet". After calling him, I did call WestJet but WetJet could not help and asked me to contact JAL again.
I did fly with my international airlines but it's the first time I had a very negative experience I had with JAL. I would not recommend this airline to anyone.
It's my honest review for JAL.

1  Thank HannahVu2020
Reviewed 12 July 2022

The ZIPAIR assistant changed our ticket to THAILAND instead of Vietnam and told us where we could buy a new one to our original destination. We got stuck in the airport because I need a visa to get out of the airport. We ended up buying another 2 tickets coming back from Thailand and getting stuck in the airport for 50 hours. We couldn´t fly t another country because nobody accepts passengers from a cheap airline like ZIPAIR. NEVEEEEEER fly with this airline!!! It´s a waste of time and money!! They ignore your emails and calls, and don´t care if they made a mistake, they just want your money!!!!!

Date of travel: June 2022
    • Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.