“Very bad experience with Japan Airlines”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 13 July 2022

JAL has changed my trip without any notice and I could not check any changes on their website. My husband had to call on JAL call center to get the latest flight information. JAL gave us a 26-hour layover in Vancouver Airport instead of 3 hours as before and also another transit airport between Halifax and Vancouver with more than 4 waiting hours in Toronto. The call center guy of JAL in North America also has a very negative attitude when checking flights or options for us. He asked me to call WestJet to check and changed flights instead of working himself. However, we are not WetJet's customers, we pay the whole trip money to JAL. The call center guy told me that "How do I know if I do not try to call WestJet". After calling him, I did call WestJet but WetJet could not help and asked me to contact JAL again.
I did fly with my international airlines but it's the first time I had a very negative experience I had with JAL. I would not recommend this airline to anyone.
It's my honest review for JAL.

Date of travel: July 2022
    • Customer service
    • Value for money
1  Thank HannahVu2020
Write a reviewReviews (9,208)

Reviewed 12 July 2022

The ZIPAIR assistant changed our ticket to THAILAND instead of Vietnam and told us where we could buy a new one to our original destination. We got stuck in the airport because I need a visa to get out of the airport. We ended up buying another 2 tickets coming back from Thailand and getting stuck in the airport for 50 hours. We couldn´t fly t another country because nobody accepts passengers from a cheap airline like ZIPAIR. NEVEEEEEER fly with this airline!!! It´s a waste of time and money!! They ignore your emails and calls, and don´t care if they made a mistake, they just want your money!!!!!

Date of travel: June 2022
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 10 July 2022

How times, and airlines, have changed. A few years ago, JAL was our favourite international airline. We are booked on a JAL premium economy return flight from Sydney to Paris in a few weeks which requires a 14-hour overnight layover at the Haneda airport hotel airside. This was the only connection available.
We started to get concerned when we read that due to COVID, Japan was not issuing any tourist visas (unless in a group) or even transit visas. The Japanese consulate in Australia has confirmed this is the case and as we must pass immigration to get to the airport hotel, 200 metres away, we will be denied entry into Japan.
So, what to do? Some travellers suggest sleeping in the airport waiting area (some banks of seats have no arms so stretch out they say) however that definitely wasn’t an attractive or an acceptable option. We are way past sleeping on airport benches or floors. Notwithstanding, we now understand that a new development is airport staff are now shutting down the airport late at night, again due to Covid concerns and kick everyone out – to where? Can’t enter Japan, can’t stay at the airport, can’t go back to the plane.
As most JAL customers know and despite Japan’s customary politeness and civility, etc., the airline’s customer service is practically non-existent, certainly there is no capacity to email the airline. I waited two hours on the phone only to be addressed by someone who didn’t want to be there and had absolutely no interest in the issues I was trying to resolve. I achieved nothing and was left with a feeling that the airline was happy to keep my flight payments knowing full well that I would be left in ‘no-man’s land’ at Haneda airport, unable to go anywhere.
Bottom line is that, in my view, JAL’s behaviour has been unconscionable. The airline hasn’t even had the decency to contact us (and no doubt all the other transit passengers on the flight) and offer alternatives. I will cancel my flight and fight the A$600 (for 2 people) cancellation fee that JAL will impose. It is clear that JAL has little interest in the current unsolvable issue their only flight connection has created for its transit passengers.

Date of travel: July 2022
3  Thank hobart_10
Reviewed 9 July 2022

We had our tickets booked from New Delhi to Los Angeles on the airlines for 4th August 2022 via make my trip. The airline cancelled the flight and refused to accommodate any request for an exchange from mumbai to Los Angeles on the same date. Very poor service and compliance. This was less than one month before travel.

Date of travel: June 2022
Reviewed 7 July 2022

Japan Airlines is the worst airline that I have ever attempted to work with.

I booked tickets for my honeymoon with JAL. They cancelled one leg of a 4 leg journey and refused to transfer me to the other flight that worked with the existing itinerary. The only option they provided was for me to depart 24 hours earlier, still arriving on the same day due to the horrible layovers with their alternative itinerary.

Obviously I chose to cancel the flight and booked another trip with Singapore air. At time of cancellation they told me I'd be receiving a full refund. 4 months later, I'm still waiting on my refund.

While writing this I'm 3 hours into waiting on hold on their customer service line so that I can figure out when they're going to return my captive $2000. As far as I can tell, sitting on hold is the only way to get in contact with JAL.

I have and will continue to advise everyone I know to avoid this airline like the plague.

-Andrew Bitzko

Date of travel: April 2022
1  Thank E9620PGandrewb
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.