“ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 5 July 2022

I definitely expected a lot more from JAL. My mom was on the flight from NY JFK to Seoul S.Korea and had the connection in Haneda. JAL canceled the flight without any reason (no weather or problem with the plane) and let my mom know at the boarding gate! She checked in her bags already and was waiting for her flight and was notified that her connecting flight was canceled and the one that they booked for her was now 15 hours overnight stay at the airport. When I got on the phone with customer service, they told me the flight was canceled 10 days ago but they did not send us any email regarding the changes to the flight. They refused to get her any hotel or meal to compensate for the changes to the flight. My mom is 65 years old, does not speak Japanese or English, and is now stuck at the airport for 15 hours without any help from the airline. Absolutely ridiculous experience and will never take JAL ever again.

Date of travel: July 2022
Write a reviewReviews (9,188)

Reviewed 3 July 2022

JAL is usually one of the best airlines in the world. I've flown several times in Business and also First class. Wonderful! But now, after flying a round trip with them to Jakarta and back, I wouldn't be very excited to fly them until Japan changes its quarantine rules for tourists: EVERY SINGLE JAL FLIGHT WAS DELAYED both to and from USA and to and from Asia.
This isn't really JAL's fault: the Japanese govt isn't allowing JAL to leave a single passenger in Narita overnight, so if even one connecting flight from JFK/ORD/LAX/SFO/SAN/SEA/YVR/DFW is delayed, then ALL of the connections to BKK/CGK/SIN/KUL/MNL/HAN are delayed so that every single passenger gets on their connecting flight. Same thing on the way back to USA. My delays were: SFO-NRT 90 min delay; NRT-CGK 3 hours delay: CGK-NRT not delayed; NRT-SFO 1 hour delay, causing me to miss my connection from SFO to JFK.
In addition, the intra-Asia flights on the 787-800 features slanted beds in Business Class (NOT FLAT) which is not competetive with the other airlines-- Garuda, Singapore Air, Malaysia Air, Cathay, ANA.
Lastly, JAL weirdly serves only a tiny snack after take off on the 7 hour flight CGK-NRT, which departs at 06:35AM. 5 hours into the flight the main meal is served. I hadn't eaten anything before the flight because I (like everyone else on the plane, right?) got up at 3AM, got to the airport about 430AM, went through immigration and customs etc... before boarding at 6AM. When were we expected to eat? I wish I'd have known this ahead of time.
Ummmm also I tried calling JAL's USA number at least 15 times before the trip began and.... busy busy busy busy. Ridiculous.
Pro: Seat and food on in Business class on the 777-300ER for SFO-NRT and return was excellent!

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 2 July 2022

My first flight from DEL to Haneda was with economy class, it was very uncomfortable! No leg space at all, food was Japanese style and very limited. The service wasn’t the best as well.

When I landed in Haneda I asked to upgrade to Economy seat with more leg room for my next flight. First of all, the language barrier is a huge issue! I have been told all leg room seats are reserved and I had no choice to pay more for economy premium.

The seats in economy premium are okay, I can’t say they are that comfortable but I got enough leg space.
You also get a small bag with some goodies for the rest of your flight. Food was okay, not better than regular economy.

My main issue was that I saw a lot of unreserved leg room seats in economy so I don’t understand why I was been told that they are sold out.

My experience with ANA was definitely much better!

1  Thank ShaniC92
Reviewed 27 June 2022

I can't say enough obout this airline. After getting canceled and ran around by Delta, we finally got rebooked on JAL. Going from Seattle to Manila. Their economy seats are better than Delta premium comfort. The food is better. I wish I'd known about JAL prior. I'll use JAL anytime I get the opportunity. They EARNED my money with their customer service and amenities. Thank you JAL. This should be the industry standard. Finally, a company that actually cares about their customers. On my connection to another airline, they had a rep to personally escort us to the next flight so we wouldn't miss it. Amazing service. Even if it is more expensive, it's worth every penny.

Reviewed 26 June 2022

Tried to get a hold of customer service by phone for three days straight to make changes with my flight after booking online with no luck. As far as the the flights themselves that I had, I had a great experience with the cleanliness of the plan. The service received from the flight attendants and the food that was served was much better than most other airlines. I have had better entertainment choice on other airline flying similar routes. In the air, 5 star experience, on the ground 1 star experience.

Date of travel: May 2022
1  Thank Meeko P
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.