“Usually perfection, but these days they are overwhelmed”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 3 July 2022

JAL is usually one of the best airlines in the world. I've flown several times in Business and also First class. Wonderful! But now, after flying a round trip with them to Jakarta and back, I wouldn't be very excited to fly them until Japan changes its quarantine rules for tourists: EVERY SINGLE JAL FLIGHT WAS DELAYED both to and from USA and to and from Asia.
This isn't really JAL's fault: the Japanese govt isn't allowing JAL to leave a single passenger in Narita overnight, so if even one connecting flight from JFK/ORD/LAX/SFO/SAN/SEA/YVR/DFW is delayed, then ALL of the connections to BKK/CGK/SIN/KUL/MNL/HAN are delayed so that every single passenger gets on their connecting flight. Same thing on the way back to USA. My delays were: SFO-NRT 90 min delay; NRT-CGK 3 hours delay: CGK-NRT not delayed; NRT-SFO 1 hour delay, causing me to miss my connection from SFO to JFK.
In addition, the intra-Asia flights on the 787-800 features slanted beds in Business Class (NOT FLAT) which is not competetive with the other airlines-- Garuda, Singapore Air, Malaysia Air, Cathay, ANA.
Lastly, JAL weirdly serves only a tiny snack after take off on the 7 hour flight CGK-NRT, which departs at 06:35AM. 5 hours into the flight the main meal is served. I hadn't eaten anything before the flight because I (like everyone else on the plane, right?) got up at 3AM, got to the airport about 430AM, went through immigration and customs etc... before boarding at 6AM. When were we expected to eat? I wish I'd have known this ahead of time.
Ummmm also I tried calling JAL's USA number at least 15 times before the trip began and.... busy busy busy busy. Ridiculous.
Pro: Seat and food on in Business class on the 777-300ER for SFO-NRT and return was excellent!

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
Write a reviewReviews (9,208)

Reviewed 2 July 2022

My first flight from DEL to Haneda was with economy class, it was very uncomfortable! No leg space at all, food was Japanese style and very limited. The service wasn’t the best as well.

When I landed in Haneda I asked to upgrade to Economy seat with more leg room for my next flight. First of all, the language barrier is a huge issue! I have been told all leg room seats are reserved and I had no choice to pay more for economy premium.

The seats in economy premium are okay, I can’t say they are that comfortable but I got enough leg space.
You also get a small bag with some goodies for the rest of your flight. Food was okay, not better than regular economy.

My main issue was that I saw a lot of unreserved leg room seats in economy so I don’t understand why I was been told that they are sold out.

My experience with ANA was definitely much better!

1  Thank ShaniC92
Reviewed 27 June 2022

I can't say enough obout this airline. After getting canceled and ran around by Delta, we finally got rebooked on JAL. Going from Seattle to Manila. Their economy seats are better than Delta premium comfort. The food is better. I wish I'd known about JAL prior. I'll use JAL anytime I get the opportunity. They EARNED my money with their customer service and amenities. Thank you JAL. This should be the industry standard. Finally, a company that actually cares about their customers. On my connection to another airline, they had a rep to personally escort us to the next flight so we wouldn't miss it. Amazing service. Even if it is more expensive, it's worth every penny.

Reviewed 26 June 2022

Tried to get a hold of customer service by phone for three days straight to make changes with my flight after booking online with no luck. As far as the the flights themselves that I had, I had a great experience with the cleanliness of the plan. The service received from the flight attendants and the food that was served was much better than most other airlines. I have had better entertainment choice on other airline flying similar routes. In the air, 5 star experience, on the ground 1 star experience.

Date of travel: May 2022
1  Thank Meeko P
Reviewed 23 June 2022

Flown to Japan round trip with my wife about a dozen times using JAL. Pretty consistently good service, food, overall experience in this regard. On this last return flight to San Diego the vast majority of travelers were Foreigners (non Japanese). Upon landing the head flight attendant walked around and personally thanked the handful of Japanese travelers (including my wife) but no one else. She spoke Japanese which I understand. I thought that an odd business practice and one which I'd guess did not escape notice by other non-japanese as well. Again, overall service was satisfactory but I think the time has come to retire this business practice. Poor judgement in my opinion.

Date of travel: December 2021
2  Thank David E
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.