“Worst Customer Service”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 31 May 2022

Japan Airlines has good cabin crew. But other than that… good luck to you if something goes wrong with your booking. Their customer service is nonexistent. All you get is a busy tone. And people at the ticketing gate are the worst, no compassion whatsoever. One lady from their group tried to help me and only because she felt bad because I am traveling with a baby. They don’t smile at all.
I got left behind because the ticket number that my infant was assigned to was incorrect. It was an easy fix to think about it because it was a lap infant ticket. But I was left behind with my 2 kids. And worst is that I got stranded on my second leg. Meaning I had to buy tickets to get back home. I have 2 kids with me… a five y/o and a 1 y/o.
They are so heartless. Even if it was purchased thru a 3rd party booker they should still help or atleast try to help their passengers because it is still their product.
Never flying JAL ever again. Love their cabin crew but other than that it’s a rating of zero.
It was a nightmare. One of the worst days of my life…thanks to Japan Airlines.

5  Thank topangga21
Write a reviewReviews (9,208)

Reviewed 31 May 2022

Lack of customer responsibility, unethical, opposite of what Japan is known for, I was not able to fly from Seattle to Malaysia because I have 20hours layover and I was not allowed to go to and I was not given any notice about. I tried calling, emailing and all kinds of ways to reach them and I had no answers weeks before my flight. They just hang up the phone each time, called Narita Airport and they said I was good to go. When I got to Seattle they do not let me board the plane and DO NOT help me get another. Their staff were rude, and was yelling at me like it was my mistake. I hope this airline get shut down some day.

5  Thank Farisharadzi123
Reviewed 30 May 2022

Where do I start? Customer service is awful, from inquiries to check-in. I can't tell if it's communication barrier, rudeness, lack of confidence with employees to communicate properly with customers or they just don't care.

Plane, 777 - I don't understand how JAL was rated a 5 star airlines. In all categories, this should be a 1 star airlines. Toothpicks were all around my seat area & my seat area was dirty & uncleaned. JAL prides itself on cleaniness, it's far from it. I will advise that you get your personal Clorox wipes handy. Headphone jack was screwed up. I literally had to use books to support the headphone plugin to watch movies. USB port was non-functional in my seat location. To be honest, once I observed the attitudes & the communication experience with JAL employees, I simply ignored everything around me, including the flight attendants and more focused on getting to my destination - home. Never, will I make a mistake to book with this airline.

Food - it was pathetic, a joke for business class. I watched some YouTube videos before making a reservation & the talk of food & flight experience seems stellar. Be careful about recommendations of those YouTubers. Wait till you have the real experience, it was awful.

Lounge - The Sakura Lounge at Narita Airport was decent, clean & some food options. The meal I ordered was ok. The corn soup was good. I didn't interact much with the lounge staff due to COVID-19 protocols but I did say thank you in Japanese & most responded politely. However, the lounge experience doesn't transfer to the in-flight experience.

Overall, an awful experience for my roundtrip flight.

5  Thank 568lanr
Reviewed 29 May 2022

Covid significantly changes various aspects in our lives. I understand that businesses are in the process of recovering from the impact of Covid. However, it does not mean that an airline can create an itinerary that customer absolutely can’t travel and push all responsibilities over to booking agents.

My family and I booked a flight to travel from JFK to SGN. Japan Airline offers flights from JFK to NRT, then from HND to SGN. We went with JAL instead of ANA because of shorter layover. Less than 24hr before departing, we received a courtesy call telling us that we must cancel this flight and work with our book agent for a different path because of the covid restrictions in Japan. We had asked for assistance since we had contacted JAL in the past, and none of the calls were successful. The average wait time is 3 hrs. There’s no call back options.

Our agent tried to contact JAL, but waiting from 3:30pm to 9:40pm and never got a response. When we arrived at the airport, the staffs completely ignored us and others who are on the same boat. We had to go back to our agent to book a flight for the next day.

In such challenging period, working together to find a solution is much more effective than denying responsibility. Selling a flight that no one could possibly fly is unethical. A reasonable person would believe in the airline’s arrangements while preparing necessary documents such as proof of negative PCR result in response to the current environment that we are in. It’s the airline responsibility to offer fly itinerary that would take their customers to where they need to be.

2  Thank 615tramh
Reviewed 24 May 2022

Bought a RT ticket for my mother but the returning flight was cancelled and changed by JAL...from less than 24 hour trip to 38+ hours trip. I called JAL, their unwillingness to help really frustrated us. They basically want their customer to just deal with it, wait in the airport for 15+ hours, can't go out to stay in the hotel and no resting area in the airport. They let their customer to purchase tickets online and then subsequently cancel/change the flights...BE CAREFUL with JAL. .
Yes, they offered the refund for the returning flight but it's less than 1/2 or what I paid is not even enough to cover the one-way ticket. If I were to know this, I'd never purchased JAL.

• Customer service
    • Value for money
3  Thank FarAway231874
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.