“Nightmare dealing with JAL -- Worst experience”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 24 May 2022

Bought a RT ticket for my mother but the returning flight was cancelled and changed by JAL...from less than 24 hour trip to 38+ hours trip. I called JAL, their unwillingness to help really frustrated us. They basically want their customer to just deal with it, wait in the airport for 15+ hours, can't go out to stay in the hotel and no resting area in the airport. They let their customer to purchase tickets online and then subsequently cancel/change the flights...BE CAREFUL with JAL. .
Yes, they offered the refund for the returning flight but it's less than 1/2 or what I paid is not even enough to cover the one-way ticket. If I were to know this, I'd never purchased JAL.

3  Thank FarAway231874
Write a reviewReviews (9,176)

Reviewed 19 May 2022

I have not travelled yet, but I already have bad experience with flight change.
Two days ago I received cancellation email for Frankfurt to Narita leg of the flight from Helsinki to Sydney. They moved me to the earlier date effectively killing the Helsinki to Frankfurt leg. So change of flight was done with disregard to my itinerary. Worst thing is Helsinki to Frankfurt leg being operated by Finnair, but still booked through JAL and paid for.
Later they moved Haneda to Sydney leg for later day increasing our layover by 24 hours.
And one more thing:
Change the terminal from Narita to Haneda seems not possible with current government regulations. But the system let that booking through.
So looks like we are in trouble now, have to ask for refund for return to Sydney flight.
Two hours on hold calling the Australian contact number, still not getting through.
What a nightmare

• Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Nick_Germanov
Reviewed 17 May 2022

I reserved a 10 day round trip with JAL, but missed some connections on the first leg of the trip and had to book a flight with another carrier to get to Jakarta. 10 days later, I showed up for my flight home, stood in line for an hour only to be told that because I didn't board those earlier flights, JAL had canceled my reservation without any notice and without any refund, and resold my seat to someone else. All the while, JAL continued to send me email notifications about my upcoming flight, even as I was being told by their employees that I was booted. JAL does not allow online check-in, at least not with international flights during COVID, so without any notification from JAL there was no way for me to know I would be stranded in Jakarta. I submitted a complaint to the company on the website, but never received any response. I picked JAL for my trip because they have a lot of glowing reviews, but this was such a rotten experience I will never recommend them to anyone and if at all possible will avoid booking with them in the future.

Date of travel: April 2022
2  Thank Mobile92454
Reviewed 5 May 2022

The flight my husband and I took from Haneda in April were filled with four or five families with kids (infants or teenagers), which was usually a bad sign. Here is a list of the pet peeves we had on this flight journey:
1. Have you checked which seat you are going to occupy properly? : We reserved isle seats for both of us (my husband to be seated in the seat in front of me in the row C, and myself behind him). When we arrived at the seats, my husband noticed that his seat was already occupied by someone else who was seated with his families and had to tell this guy that he was occupying my husband’s seat in error. This ‘family guy ‘moved to the window seat and my husband was seated in the designated isle seat. Some people just assume where they are sitting. But there are always some people who reserve certain seats for reasons.
2. Mind your kids and their behaviour: Looking at three seats in D,E,G on the same number row across the isle from my seat C were occupied by a woman with two infants. They were the main cause of the nightmare on the entire journey. Two daughters, who were assumingly 1 and 3 years old ,were either bawling or screaming constantly. The noise got worse with seat tray banging and lamp flickering by the kids and their mother had no intention of controlling their behaviour. They also trashed around their food debris and litters constantly on the floor. Did anyone see the amount of rubbish they produced for the entire flight journey? At one point, I saw the woman changing one of the kids’ nappies on the seat. Another time, she was checking the content of the nappy by pulling down the pants of the daughter’s, while food was being served.
3. Be considerate to other fellow passengers: my husband’s sleep was constantly disturbed by a family of five who were seated next to him occupying over two rows of seats, who often kept walking back and forth to get snacks situated at the breakout area. The father figure of the family tried to cross over my husband’s legs while he was asleep. Unfortunately he wasn’t slim enough to squeeze himself out of the narrow space left and knocking off the a bottle of water left in the seat pocket situated at my husband’s seat, hence waking him up with a loud din.
4. Opt out of ‘Codeshare’ flight: It seems that the flight we took from HND to LHR was a codeshare flight with BA, though we originally purchased the option with JAL only. So in a way we ended up paying more than these BA passengers would have paid. I personally have never had good experience with codeshare flight with BA and this flight has proved it once again.
5. The speed of serving airline food: Is it necessary that the passengers simply get fed with airline food in a hurried manner with less than 20 minutes? When we get served with a main meal, a pot of ice cream gets served at the same time. Why ? For someone who has delicate digestive system, consuming ice cream straight after the main meal does cause an issue. But I do like ice cream, and can only indulge myself in this when I do have good appetite. Mostly I don’t especially prior to the flight, so I tend to skip it nowadays. But I really would like JAL to stop feeding passengers like a herd of cattle.
6. The level of service during the pandemic and post pandemic: I was fortunate enough to fly back to Japan once with JAL during the pandemic outbreak (before the lockdown and more tight restriction on the overseas travelling) and on that flight there were just about 10 passengers on board. We in the economy class were treated almost like VIPs and Cabin attendants were so attentive and even thanked each passenger for choosing JAL to travel. On this codeshare flight back to the LHR, I felt being part of ‘cattle’ class, having to put up with noise, smells and litters on the entire flight journey.

I am sure there are many reasons or occasions why kids have to accompany their parents on the flight journeys. But when they do, I urge the parents to take care of their kids so as not to cause any nuisance or disturbances to other passengers. I also feel that airlines should manage better seat allocation befitting each flight situation. For instance, families with (small) kids should be seated in ‘family friendly’ allocated seat location, and other passengers can choose seats away from them if they wish.

Date of travel: April 2022
    • Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 4 May 2022

Booked a flight with a layover at Tokyo. JAL cancelled the last leg of the trip and put us on a flight that leave Tokyo on the next day. Then they called us two days before the trip and told us we can't stay overnight at the Tokyo airport due to COVID restriction. But they were the one who cancelled our flight and put us on a flight that leaves the next day (our initial booking does not have an overnight layover)! Told us there's no other alternatives and does not respond to refund request and does not pick up the phone! WORST AIRLINE EVER!

2  Thank fyeow
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.