“Difficult to beat JAL’s service”
Review of Japan Airlines (JAL)

Reviewed 21 April 2021 via mobile

JAL stands out consistently in one aspect - service! At Dallas Airport, ground staff actively asked for baggage tag to make sure my luggage will be checked through to Tokyo. Onboard the crews were very hardworking. Even between meal service they walked around with drinks and snacks and collected garbage. They kept toilets really clean. They even turned off the personal TV of passengers who have slept to avoid disturbance to passengers because of the light. They answered call buttons within seconds. On arrival there were always plenty of staff to assist with luggage. I have experienced over 20 international airlines and none can reach JAL’s service standard, none of them is even close!

1  Thank h0chingl
Write a reviewReviews (9,093)

Reviewed 19 April 2021

Despite touting free cancellation for Covid-19 related issues, JAL didn't honor this. After booking a flight to Bangkok for Dec. 13, I discovered that there is a mandatory period of hotel-bound quarantine even for fully vaccinated passengers on my arrival date. So I tried canceling the ticket and their staff argued incessantly with me that things could change, etc.
The whole point of my booking early was to set my plans, including time away from work and meeting friends in Thailand.
It seems pretty clear to me that this is Covid-related cancellation. The last thing I expected from JAL was a sleazy interpretation of what they clearly advertise as "free cancellation."

Reviewed 13 April 2021

Air Travel Report
11 March 2021
Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), Viet Nam – to Jacksonville, FL, USA

After being gone for 13 years I just decided, ‘It is time . . . to come home’, and my wife and I made the trek.
The Airlines work together to offer customers an organized, coordinated, start to finish, ‘package’ itinerary, and that is good, convenient.
Itinerary:
• HCMC to Tokyo, Japan – Japan Air Lines.
• Tokyo, Japan to Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas, USA – Japan Air Lines.
• Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas, USA to Jacksonville, FL, USA – American Airlines.
o Flight time? ~ 18 hours.
o Total travel time? ~ 30 hours.

Japan Air Lines
From HCMC, Viet Nam to Tokyo, Japan and from Tokyo, Japan to Dallas, TX, USA, folks, I-have-nothing-but-PRAISE-for . . . Japan Air Lines.
Every nuance and detail from departure and arrival times to in flight service and attention, meals, and-even-the-coffee . . . were in every way above reproach and commendable.

American Airlines
From Dallas, TX, USA to Jacksonville, FL, USA the ONLY good thing I can say about American Airlines (AA) is, “They did – eventually – get us to Jacksonville, FL, USA. Period.”
In the interim though, “Wow.”
International Flight Passengers must collect their baggage (for us, two max weight suitcases & carryon – EACH), carry that baggage everywhere we go and, have it rechecked for a/the Domestic carrier (AA).
And that’s fair enough, I guess.
Problem? Dallas Airport is H-U-G-E HUGE and we had to lug our baggage and carryon from the Arrival gate – to the far-far away Departure gate.
And that’s fair enough too, I guess.
**Problem**? AA changed-the-Departure-gate . . . !!**FOUR (4) TIMES**!! . . . and each time WE had to lug our baggage & carry-ons to each NEW departure gate, which were far-far away (hundreds of meters) from the OLD departure gate. (Sidebar: I am 73.)
**Problem**? Without reason or apology, AA informed us the flight would depart – 2 hours late.
**Problem**? AA Personnel. Wow. They were all amiable, friendly and talkative – to each other – but to the customers, to the ‘Herd’, their attitude, tone and demeanor was disdainful, begrudgingly helpful, and on the very precipice of being rude.
**Problem**? AA in flight service? The inflight service personnel were much like the on ground service personnel. ‘The Herd’ (the customers) was tended and managed with complete indifference and impersonal rote efficiency.
AA Summary: AA DID get us to our destination. Beyond that I have no/none/zero positive comments. I energetically do NOT and will NOT recommend AA to anyone – period.

Date of travel: March 2021
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 11 April 2021 via mobile

There were only four guests at the business class and four flight attendants. Each attendant came to say thank you to me and took care of me during the entire flight. All of them smiled and they were very professional.
Foods were amazing and wines were wonderful .

2  Thank DublinKH
Reviewed 8 April 2021

I booked a ticket from DEL to DTW with Henada airport(TOKYO) in connecting flights. After 1 week they told they have change the connecting flights airport in TOKYO to some other airport. From Henada to that airport it was 65Km and Also I would require a transit VISA since i was living airport . With these difficulties and having just 4 hours for connecting flights I asked them to cancel and ask for full refund, but they have took cancellation charge which is very frustrating.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.