“Always a mixed experience with Iberia”
Review of Iberia

Reviewed 10 February 2020

Our flights (round trip from Madrid) were changed three times between booking in February and flying in November.
On one occasion, despite all flights being on one booking, our changed flight would have no way given us enough time to transfer to the domestic leg of the flight so I had to call the airline, does nobody actually check this?
We were offered a paid upgrade the day previous to the flight which we paid for.
I had booked two extra checked bags way back at the time of booking but was told at check in they did not have this in their system. Even though I had all my receipts etc printed off, we still had to endure a half hour delay checking in while they tried to sort it out, we were initially told we would have to pay again for the bags, I stood my ground and refused.
The delay meant we had no time to utilise the lounge which we were entitled to due to the paid upgrade.
Once on board the flight was excellent, delicious food, much needed drinks and friendly crew.
Every time I book flights with Iberia (which is quite frequently as we live in Spain) there is an issue with something.
Such a shame as the inflight experience is usually very good.

Date of travel: November 2019
2  Thank travelsavvydiva
Write a reviewReviews (20,136)

Reviewed 9 February 2020

The airplane, an Airbus 319, was so old the cushioning in the seats was totally compressed and very uncomfortable The plane itself was dirty and smelly. The cabin crew did not crack a smile during the entire trip and were inattentive. To make matters worse there were many people on the flight who were very ill, hacking and coughing all the way to Madrid. Given the corona virus epidemic, the airline should have screened some of them even in the waiting area, as they were clearly quite ill. Iberia tends to be better on long haul flights if you fly Business class, which I do. However, in general the airline has frequent equipment problems and is not run efficiently. The website is not functional or user. Madrid-Barajas is a beautiful airport but a nightmare in terms of passenger flow and efficiency. Iberia has a lot of work to do

1  Thank Mfirpi
Reviewed 7 February 2020

I truly cannot remember if I have ever flown Iberia, so I will write this as a first time flyer of the airline. Flights were on time, the staff were reasonably friendly. I arrived in one piece and so did my luggage. I would recommend this airline again. Also for the economy seating, I thought there was a little more room than domestic flights in the States. Madrid's airport is ginormous....so plan accordingly. They actually had a shuttle for us to get from the international section to the domestic terminal. Morocco is a different country but it was short distance outbound from Madrid. We did return to Madrid through the international terminal.

Reviewed 4 February 2020

I booked my flight two months in advance and paid for a window seat. When I got to the boarding area, I saw that I was scheduled to sit in the middle seat of the middle row. I complained at the time, and was told they could do nothing about it since the flight was full.

On my return home, I have been trying for 2 days to get through to what passes for "customer service", only to be blown off and told to file a complaint on their website. There is nowhere to file on their website! I looked at their FB page and saw NUMEROUS complaints from unhappy customers with worse experiences than I had. Also an article describing a court decision in Spain which showed a tendency on Iberia's part to ignore customer complaints.

Overall, the WORST airline I have even flown. Do NOT recommend!

2  Thank barbaracy247
Reviewed 4 February 2020

This was the worst flight experience I have ever had (and I have had the worst of the worst throughout the world).
Our flight was a non-stop flight from San Francisco to Barcelona. I think it was 9 hours or so.
Highlights:

-international flight with no free checked baggage

-international flight with no complementary food or beverage (including water and snacks - we had to buy a small bottle of water to survive our 9 hour+ flight for something like 5 bucks) - you also can't buy food on the flight, you apparently had to pre-order it, which I did not get the chance to do as I booked through a third party

-terrible and chaotic boarding process

-least comfortable seats I have ever been in on a flight

-very rude staff

4  Thank jpsf2019
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.