“Reminded me of what flying used to be!”
Review of Hainan Airlines

Reviewed 17 November 2017

This was my first time flying with this airline and I was pleasantly surprised and quite impressed. While the seats could be a little bigger (as is for every airline), they really do a great job of keeping you comfortable, especially for such a long flight (14 hours+). They provide each passenger (even in coach) a little package that contained earplugs, an eye mask, socks and a toothbrush. They also provided you with a blanket, a pillow and earphones (although I had my own, I only needed the headphone adapter). They spoke fairly decent English, which was appreciated, and offered very good service in cabin. The meals they served were plentiful and often, refreshments were the same. I can say that they have the best 'airplane food' I have ever had, and was very surprised they offered a menu soon after take off, which offered 3 different meal choices, that would be served twice on the flight, with a light food option in between (yes, even in coach!). They had a decent selection of movies and inflight entertainment. My only complaint is that you are NOT allowed, in airplane mode, to use you phone. You are permitted to use tablets and laptops, but NO phones. I was quite surprised by this, since majority of airlines do allow phones to be used (in airplane mode, of course). Wish I would have known this ahead of time... would have put more movies and whatnot on my tablet instead of phone. Overall, really enjoyed my flight experience (even if they could use a little, or a lot, more leg room). Other airlines could benefit from how Hainan treats their flyers - even the ones flying coach!

1  Thank Eroca

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Took a HKG->PEK->ORD flight on a B787. Service was attentive. The price (all incl.), at 3300 HKD, was very competitive for East Asia -> US route. The startling thing onboard was the overwhelming redness of the cabin decor — which, for branding, is reminiscent of the red packets for Chinese New Year. Transit through PEK was fairly smooth, although signage to head towards international transit areas could be clearer.

1  Thank Kat T
Reviewed 14 November 2017

I took Hainan Air as a part of an extremely cheap tour to China. Hainan has fairly new Boeing equipment on the flights that I took. The airline got our entire group and the luggage to the appropriate place on time. I think that the seats were an inch or two more roomy than is standard on some US airlines. The entertainment was below par on our trips. Though they offered much food on our flights it was of pretty low quality Chinese food.

1  Thank TOG11
Reviewed 10 November 2017

flew Hainan Airlines (HA) for the first time to Chengdu to start our Yangtze River cruise vacation. selected Hainan for its lowest price for business class, 5 stars SKYTRAX rating and convenient non-stop flight to Chengdu. we returned to LA from Shanghai but changed to Alaska Airlines in Seattle (Hainan's partner) since Hainan does not have non-stop service from Shanghai to LA and required us to change either in Changsha (one of their hubs) or in Seattle. HA also does not have daily service to/from LA and it was difficult to determine which days of the week have service from their on-line booking. after some trial and error, we were able to determine our flight schedules and confirmed it by calling their reservations number. reservations staff has limited English capability and one has to be very specific in the questions/requests.
my wife and I enjoyed the round trip flights but gave HA only 4 stars (possibly 4.5) because of: 1) not so user friendly on-line booking, 2) English communication limitations of flight attendants, 3) average meals for business class but okay, and 4) marginal in-flight entertainment with non-responsive controller and frequent system hangups (also the screen distance is a bit far for near-sighted passengers) and on the flight to Chengdu, my USB port did not charge my tablet but my wife's USB port worked just fine but she had a problem with turning off her overhead light with the seat controls (flight attendant had to turn off the light at their service station).
we recommend HA for our experiences with: 1) their limo service that is included for business class passengers which made it convenient to get to airports and have a pickup driver on standby, especially with delayed arriving flights. per their website and on-line ticketing, only certain categories of business class tickets get limo service. because on-line ticketing does not give you an option to select the category of business class, it just offers you their best price and then you find the category later in the ticket. however, we called customer service and they assured us that we will receive limo service. we used their limo request forms for USA and domestic (China) to request a ride from LA to airport, a transfer from airport to Chengdu hotel and a ride from Shanghai hotel to airport. all went smoothly and the people handling the limo requests were top notched since they discovered our "date error" for the LA limo and advised us by email and phone text that they corrected the date for pickup. Great service!
2) flights were on 787's with 2-2-2 configuration seating. flight attendant had to reach over to serve my wife sitting at the window and also to make the 180 degrees lie flat beds. the beds were made by totally reclining the seats, then adding a pad and a sheet to form the beds. a blanket was provided along with a bottle of water, pajamas, slippers, toiletry bag and Bose headsets. we had opportunities to lay down and nap on the flights which eliminated body soreness from sitting on long flights.
3) we received multiple emails and texts (in both English and Chinese) to keep us informed regarding flights and limo. HA also called us directly about the schedule change for the flight that will be leaving Shanghai early.
4) HA is partnered with Alaska Airlines, so we were booked into first class for our flight between Seattle and LA.
everything else is on par with what you would expect from business class except HA is different from the American carriers' attendants. HA does not ask if you wanted extras such as wines, snacks, etc. they stick to the meal service schedule and have a chef on board to prepare each meal for business class passengers, which took longer to get your meal, but not a major issue on a 10-14 hours flight. HA has a dessert cart with fruits, cakes, etc. but they did not bring it to us on both flights, so we did not know what were the selections. this practice is rather unusual and we ordered by asking for fruits and chocolate cake (safe assumptions that these items should be available).
it will require some work to match HA's flights and schedules to one's requirements, but if there is a match, HA would be an excellent choice for value and service compared to Cathay, China and Eva Air.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I tried a non-traditional airline for the first time and honestly even with a language barrier the level of efficiency was unsurpassed, the flights were all untime and the courtesy shown at all points of the process to me a customer is something words do not do justice I was really happy I decided to do this thank you Hainan and sky tours .....

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Review collected in partnership with Sky-tours