“A Cyclical Nightmare that Never Ends”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 24 January 2021

Refused to refund me in full. Instead, the airline has been playing a fun game for the last four months where they put me on a flight, then cancel it, then rebook me, then cancel it, then rebook me, then cancel it. I made the mistake of trusting Etihad and now they have my money and refuse to return it. Any other stranded Australians looking for a reputable airline to get them home - avoid Etihad at all costs!

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank christinamV4836LI
Etihadairways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2021

Hi ChristinamV4836LI,

We are so sorry, this must have been so frustrating to experience . Please feel free to drop us a DM with your booking reference on our Twitter page: @EtihadHelp , so that we can follow up on this for you and get it resolved as soon as possible. Thanks. *Mars

Write a reviewReviews (16,493)

Reviewed 22 January 2021

Etihad had to cancel my flights (round ticket from KTM to ORD and back to KTM) because they don't fly to KTM anymore (Covid restriction). I requested a refund and they said that the refund was approved for processing on August of 2020. I have not seen the refund after 5 months. I have been calling almost twice a month and they keep sending my request via email to their "Refund Team" and tell me that the refund team will contact me soon. I have never gotten any call backs from Etihad ever in the past 5 months. that is a long time to hold on to someone else's hard earned money for that long.

WHERE IS MY MONEY??????

• In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
2  Thank kiranSaroj
Etihadairways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2021

Hi Kiran, please provide us with your booking reference via DM for further review. Thank you. *Zoe

Reviewed 22 January 2021

SUMMARY: Etihad didn't tell me they couldn't fly into my country but accepted my booking and money. I found out the night before my flight. I had to beg for a refund and was told I would not be reimbursed the cost of my compulsory £245 PCR test. Don't let this happen to you.

Details: I booked a flight between Manchester and Chennai with a layover in Abu Dhabi. Etihad cancelled my original plans and rescheduled the flight with a nearly 40 hour layover. I went along with it because I was desperate to get home. They sent me confirmation emails again and again and I took my PCR test at their urging. All documents were uploaded and things were fine. The night before my flight, I called to confirm the flight details and was casually told by a customer services rep that I wouldn't be allowed to board at Manchester because the layover in Abu Dhabi was too long. I panicked and called another customer service rep who informed me of the same thing and refused to take responsibility for the fact that Etihad had scheduled my flights like this. Had I not called, I would have shown up at the airport tomorrow with all my things only to be sent away. I'm a student and this was an awful thing to happen. I encourage other people in my situation to go for a more responsible airline that can actually keep track of its booking and will actually INFORM customers whether they will be allowed onto their flight on departure day. A refund/open ticket does nothing to make up for the time and hopes I lost and invested in travel to see my family again. I'm on a foreign visa and will soon not have a place to live. Had they caught this weeks ago, I could be on my way home with another carrier right now.

UPDATE 1: After many calls, a customer services rep offered to file a complaint for me and told me to seek a reimbursement for the £245 PCR test I took that went to waste due to Etihad's lack of communication. I did so and the flight got back to me saying there would be no refund due to India's COVID flight ban and the situation not being in their control. I have sent multiple complaints but received the standard PR-style reply denying responsibility.

UPDATE 2: Flight ticket refunds were initiated after I followed up with multiple complaints but customer services flat out refused to refund my PCR test even though Etihad accepted an invalid booking and then cancelled it. I've written to the newspaper about this and am planning to take the matter to court.

Here's the thing:
To even ALLOW a booking to a country when your airlines is banned from the place and to do no research in this regard and then stop a customer from boarding (only because I called to check the night before the flight) is pure incompetence. THIS was was within Etihad's direct control to stop. A simple phone call, email, or cancelled booking weeks ago could have saved this stranded student hundreds of pounds and so many tears. That such a system is not in place with Etihad is HORRIFYING. I urge other customers to check your bookings and call to make sure Etihad is even allowed to fly into your country. Although travel to India was partially restricted, Etihad took no effort to inform me they weren't on the list of approved airlines and was constantly sending me reminders to take my PCR test right up to the night before the flight. To see such an esteemed carrier shrug off its responsibility to customers during a crisis like this sets a terrible precedent and has completely shattered my trust.

I'm a student and I need the PCR test cost reimbursed so I can take another before flying home on a legitimate airline.

2  Thank Sahana19

That doesn't sound good to us, Your input and the feedback is vitally important to us. We can understand having your flight schedule disrupted is not an ideal situation, but due to the current situation all the flights to/from India transit in Abu Dhabi are suspended, and we will resume our service as per the authorities' further instructions. We'd like to help you with the PCR test refund, please contact us via direct message or our website feedback page for further assistance. Thank you. *Zoe

Reviewed 21 January 2021

My connection was delayed until the next day and, before I boarded my first flight Etihad airways employee assured us that we’ll get a hotel once we get to Abu Dhabi airport. To our surprise when we got to the transfer desk they told us that it’s not their responsibility to accommodate us or give us food vouchers because the flight was delayed because of “bad weather”. The delay email was sent to us 2 days before the flight so how can weather be the issue?! How did they predict it? Other flights were taking off and landing. I believe that they merged flights because the planes are empty.
The airline expects us to sit on airport chairs for 19hrs. With no food. When we try to complain they threaten to call police on us and they did even though non of the passengers were crossing any lines, we cannot even book a hotel on our own expense because it’s fully booked and the other airport hotels are closed and we cannot leave the airport because of COVID. So we are stuck in this prison. They could at least allocate an area with pillows and blankets fir all these travelers who were unlucky to travel with such a horrible airline. I hope that IATA intervenes to prevent this inhumane treatment of passengers. And for sure I am never again traveling with this airline that does not have common standards of hospitality and treats people like animals.

Date of travel: January 2021

We are so sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectation. Please share your feedback along with your ticket details on our website feedback page, so we can investigate this further for you. We hope to speak with you and working towards earning back your business. *Zoe

Reviewed 21 January 2021

Company does not refund when plane is cancelled. We had a flight planned on 28th of March 2020 and the company did not refund for me and my wife s tickets.
I do not advise to book with Etihad.

Date of travel: March 2020
1  Thank 237jpj
Etihadairways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2021

Hi there, refund is in line with your ticket fare. Please contact your nearest Etihad Call Centre to check your ticket fare rule. Thank you. *Zoe

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.