“In-flight experience was good, but everything around that was poor”
Review of Ethiopian Airlines

Reviewed 6 November 2018

Starting with positive: new planes, safety seems important to the company and it felt so as well. In-flight service was very good, fast (usually), entertainment options were very good. Check-in in Paris and in Maputo at return were smooth and very good.

Now to negative, quite some problems:
- Agents in airports were totally useless, it took a while to get any information and get things done. First time in my life I was downgraded (still waiting for compensation).
- Only one service desk in their hub, Addis Ababa Bole Airport is not normal.
- Awareness of staff, nobody really knows anything about the flights or services the company provides or should provide. HQ call center has no ideas when and if their flights depart or what is the actual situation. Nobody dares to take the responsibility or show initiative. Seems the ground operations are built up inconsistently and sometimes people make up rules as they go. Very bad management and use of resources.
- In Maputo Star Gold Members have limited access to lounge. Staff somehow doesn't know or just doesn't tell customers they could use SAA lounge that works in accordance to Star Alliance rules still.
- Star Alliance Gold Lounge in Addis Ababa airport should be closed down, it's crime against travellers. It's more painful to be there than other public areas. Ethiopian Airlines really discriminates.

In short - once you make on board it's ok, everything before and after that can be an absolute nightmare. They are masters in making you really feel like alone lost in space.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,622)

Reviewed 6 November 2018

Got superb value business class flights through JetnSave .... Ethiopian offered great comfort, food and service especially on the first leg to Addis .... Addis airport terminal is something anyone might prefer to miss ... a bit chaotic ... however there less than two hours and arrived in Vic falls exactly as scheduled. Would definitely use them again.

Reviewed 6 November 2018

the overall experience on Ethiopian was really good - flights on time, polite staff and clean good aircraft. The food however was not very palatable - suggest you take your own picnic!

Reviewed 6 November 2018

I have been flying through Ethiopian Airlines from last 10 years but recently I have noticed significant improvement in overall quality. i.e. punctuality, in-flight entertainment, comfort etc.

Date of travel: September 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

During my whole experience with ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES I was mistreated, lied to, not enough compensated, flight cost was 800 EUR, and they acted like the most horrible low cost airline, showing no respect/costumer service and inefficiency

This is the story of how Ethiopian Airlines (mis)treats its costumers, Saturday night (November 3, 2018) I had a flight going from Addis Ababa to Paris...guy on the counter told me there was a “change in aircraft” & issued me a “standby ticket” but told me there was nothing wrong & seat would be assigned at gate.

My baggage was checked, I then proceeded to do security, and asked two more #ethiopianairlines people, told me there was “nothing wrong”, I did the line, waited to hop on the plane, me together w/other 5 were on standby, I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO LET THE AGENT KNOW I WAS WAITING TO BE SEAT-ASSIGNED.

They told me the flight was full, if there was any seat they’d give it to ME...they didn’t, instead, they gave it to the other guys that arrived later. I stayed there shocked, and waited & waited, they told me they were going to put me on plane to another city in Europe and then connect me to PARIS...they EVEN ISSUED A TICKET for me to go to Geneva, kept me on hold, BUT NEVER LET ME ON ANY PLANE, so after one very stressful hour, took me to the office so they’d re-issue a ticket for the next flight (which was in 24 hours) and give me an economic compensation at this point, information was never clear and all agents seemed unprepared, all agents were rude and un-helpful, and they kept running “away” without giving me answers.

I arrived to the office....to find out my “compensation” was 200 dollars....for a mistake THEY did agent again acted rude. They issued me a BOARDING PASS with an ASSIGNED SEAT for the FOLLOWING DAY (24 hours wait in the city, with the miserable 200 dollars), and gave me a paper to “cash in” the money in “ANY ticket office of ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES” literal words from the agent.

Next day....I came to the Airport, to cash in my money.....surprise, they “couldn’t cash money at airport” “they didn’t have dollars” “supervisor couldnt sign the release paper” were some of the various excuses they gave me. They told me to pick up the MONEY at the HILTON HOTEL in the city...30 min drive from the airport...I arrived at the hotel, and guess what? They DIDN’T HAVE DOLLARS, so....they told me they were going to “try to get the money”

Told me to give them my number and they will call me with a “solution”....I went away, and at 3:50pm they called me to tell me they had the money, that I had until 5pm to get there (another 30-40 minute drive) and get it...rudeness again was present

They told me I couldn’t get it at the airport, since no supervisor was available to give me the money, going to the hotel was MANDATORY. I picked up the ridiculous 200USD, since I rather die before letting them keeping 1 more cent from me, and thought this was the final chapter of this bad Ethiopian movie

IT WASN’T, THINGS WERE ONLY GONNA GET WORSE.

I get on the plane the NEXT day at 11:30 pm Sunday (after spending one WHOLE day in Addis) battling with Ethiopian Airlines, get on the plane, get seated on my seat...and GUESS WHAT?? ANOTHER woman with a baby and I had he SAME seats assigned...and a VERY RUDE Ethiopian Airlines agent demanded I moved, since the woman had also this seat..I HAD PREVIOUSLY CONFIRMED BY PHONE AND IN PERSON WITH ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES previous to boarding to MAKE SURE they didn’t make another mistake.

I demanded be moved ONLY to another HALL SEAT, and he and the stewardesses kept pushing me to move without telling me where to go, I said no several times…..the super-rude agent comes comes telling me he has “found” a hall-seat by moving another woman to Frist Class…..turns out, no upgrade for the nice lady, I had 2 seat in the MIDDLE ... he left, no explanation, stewardesses didn’t know a/thing or gave answers, rude treatment again.

I tried to get explanations from the crew members, which throughout the whole experience only shown incompetence and rudeness, obviously couldn’t get any explanation or (at the very least) apologies

Agents of all sorts behaved so rudely, they all gave me different information, and evidently all wrong information,

I was not the only one in this situation, there were more people with me on this “journey”, so is not an isolated episode of this TERRIBLE airline

WORST COSTUMER EXPERIENCE EVER. AVOID ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES

#EthiopianAIrlines #Ethiopia #EthiopianAirlinesSuck

Bonus: Food sucks, stewardesses are rude in general, plane is old, and touch screens DO NOT WORK....

Date of travel: November 2018