“Amazing vegetarian meal and cool staff”
Review of China Southern Airlines

Reviewed 25 June 2022

Best veggie meal I had ever! Good customer service and nice flight attendants. Aircraft is a bit outdated but felt safe.

Date of travel: June 2022
Write a reviewReviews (4,927)

Reviewed 25 April 2022

China Southern gave me the worst experience I've ever experienced. With Shanghai under lockdown, I had to go a different route and try a new airline I haven't used much before, China Southern. My normal flights from China to US are with United or Delta or Air China. All of those have been a pleasant experience.

I was booked originally on a flight that would leave a 3 hour layover at CAN (Guangzhou). That flight was cancelled so they put me on a flight with a 2 hour layover. Right after they announced we were landing, they then announced that due to weather, we were diverting to another airport. (my experience flying into China is they divert whenever there is a lightening storm). We stayed on the ground at the nearby airport for about 2 hours to wait out the storm. Then we took off again and landed in CAN, 2 hours after my LAX plane was supposed to depart.

The LAX Flight CZ327, literally went to taxi right after we deplaned, they did not wait for all the flights that were diverted. At least 16 passengers were left stranded, missing the LAX flight.

This is where it starts to get bad. It's now midnight.

For 3 hours, they have us in a hallway, standing talking to their ground staff trying to negotiate how they will take care of us. Thirsty and tired - no water/snacks or seats to sit on. They just have one guy talking to us and a few others going back and forth. They offer 4 nights hotel (wait until you hear about the hotel experience) until we can be standby on the next flight to LAX.

I told them I want to go back to Tianjin. They will not book the flight back or reimburse for the extra luggage fee I paid. So, I just booked my own flight back to Tianjin and paid for it. Eventually they paid for the extra bag fee back to Tianjin (about $50 - but I paid much more for the extra bag to get to LAX)

They refused to reimburse the original flight from Tianjin to Guangzhou (CAN). They would only give me credit from the CAN - LAX leg. They said I have to take some responsibility because the weather is beyond everyone's control. What??? They should have had me on an earlier connecting flight if that was a possibility. But they do not care.

Now it's 3am, 3 hours later, finally they said go to this other desk and get a bus to the hotel. The hotel manager picked us up and took us to this hotel which would otherwise be nice, but everything was wet inside the room because it was so humid. By the time I was checked in, it was after 4am. My flight to Tianjin was at 8am - so I showered and slept for about an hour and went back to the airport.

The main issue with China Southern is that they don't take full responsibility when things don't go right. Weather issues for example that I went through. They make it very time consuming to get things resolved. Hours and hours. Even to get that $50 bag fee comp'd, I nearly missed my flight in the morning because I was at the counter for an hour for them to figure out how to do it.

Now, I have to try this route again because I don't have alternatives and want to use my credit. I'm trying for a longer 5 hour layover, but their system won't allow it. They will only allow the 2 hour layover. I really wonder if their management cares about people. I don't think so from my experience.

Date of travel: April 2022
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank 568rick
Reviewed 25 November 2021

Awful airline. I paid for extra luggage, but still am waiting, after multiple phone calls and emails to their office, for the receipt they owe me.

In addition, I didn't have a carry-on, but at the airport they still charged me for the extra few kilos in my second suitcase. And this on a plane made to hold 300+ passengers, but with less than 30 onboard.

It's quite stressful flying these days, what with all the new restrictions, the health related requirements, the visa, etc, so the last thing you need when you get to the airport is to have an airline be so pedantic as to change you for a few kilos of luggage ON AN EMPTY PLANE.

On the plane they had all the passengers sitting in the same section, which makes a mockery of their COVID restrictions, and this also gave them the excuse to give us a 'sandwich' (an old roll with a meagre slice of chicken it it) as lunch.

First and last time I'll ever fly with this airline. AVOID!

Date of travel: November 2021
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 11 October 2021

The worst airline service I have ever experienced. Muslim flyers should definitely avoid flying with this airline because most food consists of pork meat. They layover at Guangzhou airport for few hours with no food or drink provided by the Airline authority. I wouldn't recommend this airline to anyone because their service can't get any worse then this.

Date of travel: August 2021
Reviewed 31 December 2020 via mobile

Everything of that flight was smooth and ordinary.

I was quite shocked that one of the crews said she was very tired and laid down on the drink cart in front of the customers. Maybe she ended her duty very late a night before and had to take up duties for this early flight.

Date of travel: December 2020
2  Thank calvin325
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.